Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Default Re: Mitch Richmond Vs. Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
    This is TOTALLY irrelevant.

Basketball... if anyone didn't notice... is NOT a one on one sport like you guys think it is.
    returnofjimi... stop acting like an arrogant jackass like you have on this thread. neither richmond or reggie are that much above each other, someone can make a strong case for BOTH. Only condescending jackasses would talk like someone is dumb for having a different opinion on a case as arguable as this.

Root Of All Evil

But I'm bias, cause me and Richmond share something ver close in common.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Round Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Round Robin
    I loved Mitch Richmond and remember him on Golden State with Hardaway and Mullin (Run TMC) but Miller is just more proven, especially in the playoffs.

Richmond has the edge in some areas but Miller is a clutch player, a leader, and he lead teams deep into the playoffs on different occasions.
    After reading some people's comments maybe I should rephrase my stance a little bit...

I get the sense that this argument is being broken down into who is the better player as far as ABILITY goes and who is superior as far as overall SUCCESS goes.

Richmond is just one of those athletes who got some bad breaks because he wasn't blessed with playing on a great team. Everyone was accustomed to seeing Miller in the playoffs because he was always part of a solid core. Miller got attention for the things he did in the playoffs while with Richmond it was news if he simply made the Playoffs.

95-96 was a year where Richmond started getting some just deserved attention, as the Kings made it to the playoffs for the first time in years. I remember guys like Jimmy Jackson, who was early into his career and establishing himself as a player with a lot of promise, saying that Richmond was one of the hardest guards to defend because of his strength and versatility. I almost got the sense that the players themselves realized Mitch wasn't getting his proper respect because when asked about the top opposing guards to play against you could almost hear them say 'Don't forget about Richmond'

It's a bit like Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith. Yes, Smith was more proven in the playoffs and has the rings as proof, but he was fortunate to play on several great teams while Barry was forced to create his offense on much weaker teams. Despite Smith's rings and playoff appearances, I don't think too many will deny just how special Sanders really was.

So basically I feel that Miller was more fortunate to play on a lot of better teams year in year out than Richmond, but Miller also took full advantage of the situation by proving himself as a clutch player who brought his best game when it mattered most. With Richmond we can only speculate how his career would have went had things been different.

Richmond racked up great numbers during the regular season and overall i feel he was very underrated but Miller stands out more to a lot of people for performing at an elite level when all the chips where on the table.

It's like Apples and Oranges, which do you prefer?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Mitch was simply better. The only thing Reggie did at an especially high level is someting Mitch was also top 5 or 6 in the league in. Sure Reggie was clutch but Mitch was a far better man to man defender(though off the ball reggie was underrated as a defender). Mitch was a better slasher. A better midrange player. A better go to scorer in general. A better playmaker. Mitch was the truth. Reggie at his peak wasnt really a better total player than Michael Finley at his.

Made that high school varsity squad ReturnOfJimi's Avatar

t's a bit like Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith. Yes, Smith was more proven in the playoffs and has the rings as proof, but he was fortunate to play on several great teams while Barry was forced to create his offense on much weaker teams. Despite Smith's rings and playoff appearances, I don't think too many will deny just how special Sanders really was.
    Barry Sanders carried the Lions in a sport in which there's 21 other guys on the field.

Totally different.

When did Mitch carry a team?... in a 10 player sport, no less?

eturnofjimi... stop acting like an arrogant jackass like you have on this thread
    Stop acting like an ignorant jackass and read the whole thread.

btw... Who the f*** are you, again?

Get off my board.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

reggies easily the "greater" player. hes done so much more

A Diamond In the Rough

In all honestly, I enjoyed exposing certain people in this thread...and I knew quite a few people will make arrogant comments when they really have no clue about Mitch Richmond in the first place.

The Answer

I take the cake on Reggie Miller on this one the guy is probably one of the best clutch shooters of all time. Not hating on Mitch Richmond who is one of the best scorer in the 1990's but Miller is the Heart and Soul of a winning team since the Indiana Pacers drafted him in the 1987 NBA Draft.

As far as i can remember Richmond was a part of a winning team when he was with the GS Warriors but since he was traded to the Kings and the Wizards he never took this team to greater success.
    Last edited by GOBB_Junior; 09-01-2007 at 11:17 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Round Robin's Avatar

Barry Sanders carried the Lions in a sport in which there's 21 other guys on the field.

Totally different.

When did Mitch carry a team?... in a 10 player sport, no less?

That's why I said it was a BIT similar to the Sanders-Smith situation, not COMPLETELY similar...

Just as Sanders was arguably the better, more dynamic athlete on considerably weaker teams, so too was Richmond arguably the better, more versatile athlete on a considerably weaker teams throughout his career

Just a BIT similar...

And you say Sanders carried his team but he was never able to carry them very far. Teammates matter and they help to define the star athletes around them

Saw a basketball once baby_jordan_23's Avatar

I think Mitch Richmond is better than Reggie Miller cuz Mitch is a way better scorer than Reggie. Mitch is underrated cuz he never had succes in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by baby_jordan_23
    I think Mitch Richmond is better than Reggie Miller cuz Mitch is a way better scorer than Reggie. Mitch is underrated cuz he never had succes in the playoffs

Oddly enough, Mitch is the one with the ring.

And you say Sanders carried his team but he was never able to carry them very far.
    He took them where they went. Advanced in the playoffs due to Barry Sanders.

Scott Mitchell was the reason they couldn't advance any further.

The Lions were a playoff team a lot of years with Barry while he carried the team. you can't say the same for Mitch Richmond. Guy just barely even made the dance in a league where it's a LOT easier to make the dance.

Right?

Oddly enough, Mitch is the one with the ring.
    As an assistant coach with the Lakers?

As an assistant coach with the Lakers?

As a reserve. He did net a fade away with about 30 seconds left in game 4. I'll give him that.