Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: What do you do for a living ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Currently I work as a coordinator and teacher at an alternative education facility. Previously I've worked with high school students who did not fit or excel within a traditional schooling environment. For the last two years, I've been running our adult education program, enrolling, planning and assisting people over the age of 18 who never graduated from high school who now wish to earn their diploma or GED.

I very much enjoy my job, as the results are very direct (if I'm able to help an adult graduate, I know we were able to play a direct role in the improvement of their life) but my degree is in elementary education, so I envision myself heading back in that direction. Plus, since taking over the adult program, I have been unable to coach, something I've previously dabbled in since '04-ish. I think I'd like to have that option again at some point.

I also have my degee in elementary education, and have spent some time in the classroom. I loved working with the students, but felt bogged down in the paperwork, and I ended up spending a good portion of my evening and weekends doing school related stuff.

Another challenge I faced was working in the inner city. It was beyond frustrating dealing with parents who clearly weren't invested in the education of their children.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #47
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

I am currently a student. I'm a history major and with some luck (and with enough professors in the department) I'll be getting my degree soon. If I win the lottery between now and then (or get work at a private school that doesn't require credentials) I'll immediately pursue an advanced degree. If not, I'll go for my single subject.

For money I am a 5th grade leader for an after school program.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I also have my degee in elementary education, and have spent some time in the classroom. I loved working with the students, but felt bogged down in the paperwork, and I ended up spending a good portion of my evening and weekends doing school related stuff.

Another challenge I faced was working in the inner city. It was beyond frustrating dealing with parents who clearly weren't invested in the education of their children.

The school I work for has quite a few of these students as well. It's heart breaking sometimes. I have one student who is absolutely brilliant, but struggles in school because they support system just isn't there at home.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #49
Stuckey
ifirtworld

right now I tutor. when I'm not doing that, I stock shit at a supermarket

feels bad bro

temporary at least
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #50
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

i too work with a lot of inner city folk. You see a lot of sad and really f*cked up sh*t, and a lot of it (at least for me) sticks with you.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #51
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Don't work currently since I'm in my third year of university, but I will however end up working in the summer. Hopefully for a bank and if that doesn't work out back to the grocery store.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Going for an Accounting degree, 80% chance I have a job waiting for me when I get out of college, mutual friend is a CPA who is looking to hire in the next few years. Once his kids grow up he is moving his work from his home back to his office, so time for me.

Right now, I'm going to be the book boy for my hometown HS basketball team during the winter break and I'm a janitor in the summer at the local elementary school.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
falc39
Good High School Starter

civil engineering: traffic/transportation
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #54
ihoopallday
King James

1. College
2. Party
3. Avoid having kids
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #55
outbreak
Custom User Title

network administrator
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #56
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

I'm the homeless man out on the streets.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: