Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
Bruinlove
Banned

Default Re: Tyler Hainsbourough:What's So Great About this Guy?

a scrub evidently. I think he's overrated and only gains so much support on these boards because he's white
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
a scrub evidently. I think he's overrated and only gains so much support on these boards because he's white
This statement qualifies you for "idiot" status.

Seriously. That's not an insult. That is a fact. Every college coach in America would laugh in your face so hard you'd be able to tell them what they had for lunch last Tuesday.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
You've only been impressed once?

Are you kidding?

And absolutely laugh at people who cite his lack of athleticism and size as reasons why he won't succeed in the NBA. Ever heard of Udonis Haslem (6'8, 235)? He averages 13 and 9. Udonis Haslem was a chunk of corn in Hansbrough's stool in college. Psycho T will be just fine in the pros.
they are completely different players, Haslem operates a lot around the elbows and has a patten jumper, Psycho T hasnt developed a jumper yet, and he wont be able to have his way against the 4's and 5's of the NBA on the block.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
they are completely different players, Haslem operates a lot around the elbows and has a patten jumper, Psycho T hasnt developed a jumper yet, and he wont be able to have his way against the 4's and 5's of the NBA on the block.
They're the same size. I sited those two things as laughable to me when people talk about his NBA potential.

I said nothing about style of play. Did I?
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Corliss Williamson 2.0. Great college player that will have a solid career in the NBA barring injuries.
Not a bad comparison.

I think he's worth every bit of his reputation as a college player. And for those who call him unathletic, I was actually thinking, having seen him play a few times this year, that he looked a lot more explosive to me this season than ever before. (And he wasn't unathletic to begin with.)

The numbers he puts up, his aggressiveness and overall value to the No. 1 team in the nation....what's not to like about him as a college player?

As a pro....power forwards his size can succeed. It wouldn't stun me if he became another David West or even Carlos Boozer. I'm not saying he will, nor do I think he will. But were those guys better than Hansbrough in college, or did anyone think they'd be 20/10 guys (or in Boozer's case, more like 24/11)? I can't look at the skillset or college resume of either player and say it was better than what Hansbrough is coming out after this year, presuming he does.

I think he'll be a guy that has a solid 12-year career, a guy who can put up decent numbers on a bad team, or the first forward off the bench for a good team.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Yep, the 22 points a game he averages for the No. 1 team in the country has nothing to do with it.

And where is this overwhelming support for him on this board, in the first place?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #22
Juvenile
Serious playground baller

From what I have seen this year, he has decent ahtleticism, decent ability to finish around the hoop. What sets him apart at this level is his intensity and agressiveness. As impossible as this sounds at the college level, he is outhustling his opponents.
Unfortunately, this will not translate to the NBA. Most of his scoring looks are inside, where he will not be able to play in the NBA. He lacks the hands and moves of a Carlos Boozer, who by the way compliments his inside skills with a really good midrange jumper. Hansbrough hasnt got that either. If he progresses, he may succeed at the NBA level, but he will have a long road to get there. To me, he projects late first round right now, based on his college credentials.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #23
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

agree with TheGame414 people judge hansbrough because of the great freshmen that is coming out year after year. But being a good potential isnt all about scoring leaping and rebounding its about being a team player which tyler has he leads the #1 unbeaten team in the nation in every possible way he can. Cant say that he wont be good in NBA. Not every player that is drafted top 10 in the nba had a brilliant career am not saying that hansbrough will have a brilliant career but i know that he will be a solid player .
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
Unfortunately, this will not translate to the NBA.
Yes, it will. That same intensity that makes him a great college player will absolutely help him in the NBA.

There seems to be a false dichotomy in this debate. Yes, he's a great college player, and there are things he does to make him such that will not make him a great NBA player. But there's a huge spectrum between being a superstar and being nothing. The things that make him a great college player can absolutely make him a quality NBA player. Not a star. Not a 20/10 guy. Just a quality player.

Quote:
Most of his scoring looks are inside, where he will not be able to play in the NBA.
Where is this notion coming from that you have to be at least 6'10" to score in the paint? It isn't true, and it never has been. It certainly makes it much easier, but it isn't a necessity.

Quote:
He lacks the hands and moves of a Carlos Boozer, who by the way compliments his inside skills with a really good midrange jumper. Hansbrough hasnt got that either.
It's not like Boozer had shown that in college. Hansbrough has shown at least as much in terms of pro potential as Boozer had at Duke; that's why he was the No. 37 pick in that draft. You know who went five spots before that? Robert Archibald of Illinois, who wasn't half the college player Boozer was. But he went higher because he was bigger and more athletic. How's that working out for him?

Hansbrough has shown the ability to knock down a 15-foot jumper at times. Maybe not often enough to definitively say he's a reliable midrange shooter like Boozer currently is, but his 80% FT shooting would suggest he can be.

But like I said, Boozer wasn't doing those things with regularity at Duke. Much of what he has become, he developed after making it to the NBA. Much like Hansbrough, his college game wasn't varied enough to work in the NBA as a 6'8" power forward with only decent athleticism (and for what it's worth, Hansbrough is more athletic than Boozer).

How good of a pro Hansbrough will be will depend on how his game evolves once he gets to the NBA. As a college player, he is what he is because that's what UNC needs him to be. He's their only inside threat, so they need him to bang away in the paint to spread the floor for Lawson, Ellington and Green. You aren't going to see him shooting turnarounds and 15-18 footers very often because even if he's capable of that, that isn't helping UNC. They have the guards to do that. They need him to be Psycho T, kicking ass inside. Just like Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy needed Boozer to do that for them at Duke.

Hansbrough's game will evolve once he gets to the NBA and needs to add a couple of post moves and a 15-18 foot jumper to his regular repertoire. I think he has those abilities, but it's hard to say what will happen because some guys, even if capable, can't quite make the adjustment from being one type of player to being something else.

So we can't really get the same kind of grasp for where his ceiling is as an NBA player as we can with obvious pro prospects like Beasley or Rose, for example.

Quote:
If he progresses, he may succeed at the NBA level, but he will have a long road to get there. To me, he projects late first round right now, based on his college credentials.
I think as he currently is, he's at worst going to be a more skilled Rony Turiaf. Which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 01-14-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
dak121
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
I think as he currently is, he's at worst going to be a more skilled Rony Turiaf. Which is nothing to be ashamed of.

That's good enough to get 6 million a year in the NBA. I'd take that.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #26
bballer
King of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
Hansbrough is a weird player, im a big UNC fan, and i have only once been impressed by this guy, and ive seen about 60+ games he's played. His freshman year i think he scored 40 pts and got 10 rebs against GT, that was impressive, but hes not very athletic, not very aggressive, hes not much of anything really. He' s got a lot of heart, and can score against smaller defenders or defenders his size, he wont have any chance of being a good pro... D-League then Europe is his route. He may get the college player of the year, but Shane Battier got that and hes nothing but a role player/defender. That being said he will be drafted first round based on what he has done in college.

wow not very aggressive. i think he needs to stay one more year and work on a little jumper.

and by the way its hansbrough

hands-bro is how you say it
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #27
monthh
Good High School Starter

Hansbrough will be a decent player I think. The fit is going to be the key thing of course. I think he would do great with San Antonio. The Spurs have a guy named Tim Duncan that starts and playing behind him isn't the most time consuming job in the NBA, but he could play next to Duncan a lot, and as Duncan gets older they will have to start resting him more. 9 and 6 on that team.

I would also like to see him on the Suns. Of course they have a couple very good players in Stoudemire and Marion, those guys are going to be traded eventually. In the meantime, Hansbrough gives them some depth and some muscle inside. 8 and 5 on that team.

I think going to the Pistons would be the best for him though. I could see him starting in a year or two, and putting up about 14 and 8. Unless he ends up on the Clippers or something, I think that would be the best he could do.

I think Cleveland, Toronto, Philly, New Jersey, and Houston would also be nice fits.

The bottom line is that he will get drafted somewhere in the first round. He will also make a team, and play for at least 10 years (unless he gets injured of course). Career, I think he is about a 9-11ppg and 5-7rpg kind of guy. And the most important thing that he will bring to a team is hard work, a smart guy, and the type of player that other guys want on their team.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #28
ZOMG
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
That same intensity that makes him a great college player will absolutely help him in the NBA.

No, it will just make him another Mark Madsen.

Remember when a lot of people thought Rudy Gay wasn't "intense" enough in college? And how it was going to prevent him from succeeding in the NBA? Now the man's a future all-star. In college, he just looked like he didn't care, compared to the hundreds of unskilled "hustle" players he faced.

Mentally, the pro game is more about picking your spots, knowing your limitations and not letting your emotions take over.
ZOMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #29
Juvenile
Serious playground baller

So Game, can we agree that we agree? He will be anywhere between Ronny Turiaf (Who himself is not much different from Mark Madsen) and Carlos Boozer in the NBA. If he does not develop, he will stay at his current projection, which is borderline starter on a bad team or decent role player on a good one. If he develops, like Boozer has done in Utah, he can end up a solid starter. But he has a long road there. He is a solid jumper and quite some post play away from that.

Considering the question if overboarding huste translates to the NBA, I severly doubt if that will keep a player in the NBA for the long run. Being Psycho T is good in college, but not knowing if that same Psycho T will be able to know his limitations and pick his spots on offense and defense, thats a severe question mark I'd have as a NBA GM.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #30
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMG
No, it will just make him another Mark Madsen.
Absolutely a false comparison. Mark Madsen was only an energy guy in college, too. He scored about 12 points a game. Tyler Hansbrough is more athletic, more skilled, and much more capable of putting the ball in the basket.

If Tyler Hansbrough had the exact same game but looked like, say, Patrick Patterson- and I bring up Patterson because he and Hansbrough are pretty much the exact same player- would you make that comparison?

Quote:
Remember when a lot of people thought Rudy Gay wasn't "intense" enough in college? And how it was going to prevent him from succeeding in the NBA? Now the man's a future all-star. In college, he just looked like he didn't care, compared to the hundreds of unskilled "hustle" players he faced.
I wouldn't say he didn't care, but he wasn't going all-out all of the time. Guys that don't know how to play hard in college usually don't figure it out once they get to the NBA. Rudy Gay is the exception to the rule. Frank Williams had the ability to be an All-Star point guard, but the drive wasn't quite there. Same with any number of guys.

Quote:
Mentally, the pro game is more about picking your spots, knowing your limitations and not letting your emotions take over.
I agree, but that's a broad generalization and doesn't exactly apply negatively to Hansbrough. I think he plays with a lot of emotion but you don't see him losing his composure on the court. Even when Gerald Henderson karate-chopped his nose off last year, he kept his cool. As far as knowing his limitations, I don't see him being a guy trying to do stuff he can't. He's not trying to be a guard, or anything like that.

There's lots of things the NBA game is about and there's lots of ways to succeed.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 01-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: