Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Tyreke Evans wins rookie of year. Did Brandon Jennings deserve it?

April 28 UPDATE:

Evans received 67 first-place votes (491 points) from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Golden State’s Stephen Curry finished second with 391 points and Milwaukee’s Brandon Jennings finished third with 204 points. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.

Full voting results here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-rookies.shtml
    Last edited by insidehoops; 04-29-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Brandon Jennings is ROTY

Bogut took HIS team to the playoffs.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
    This.

I know you're saying that because the Bucs are in the playoffs Jennings should get the nod for ROY. But in my opinion he and his lousy FG percentage were carried to the playoffs by his teammates, especially Bogut. It is between two guys who have already headed home for the season - evans and curry

OKC 2010-11 NBA Champs

Jennings shot 35% from the field and averaged 12 ppg over the last 55 games of the season. ROFL @ ROTY

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    I don't think it's fair just to hand the award to Evans because Jennings took his team to the playoffs and dominating.

I believe he is the real ROTY!

Jennings didn't "take" his team to the playoffs. Skiles, Bogut, and Salmons had a LOT to do with it, and if you replaced him with Curry or Evans, the Bucks would still be a playoff team.

Anybody who thinks BJ could take the warriors or kings to the playoffs, and that curry or evans would lead this buck team to the lottery are on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Jennings didn't "take" his team to the playoffs. Skiles, Bogut, and Salmons had a LOT to do with it, and if you replaced him with Curry or Evans, the Bucks would still be a playoff team.

Anybody who thinks BJ could take the warriors or kings to the playoffs, and that curry or evans would lead this buck team to the lottery are on something.
    Well, since the lottery means not making the playoffs, I'd say that with Evans or curry they would have. Hard to imagine that those guys would fit on the Bucks. It's not all about stats...

It's easier to make shots when you are on a losing team... it's like every game is practice, but when everything you do matters, it can lead even a decent shooter to shooting under 40%.

You're right, though, he wouldn't have lead the Kings or Warriors to the playoffs. LBJ probably couldn't have done that.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Well, since the lottery means not making the playoffs, I'd say that with Evans or curry they would have. Hard to imagine that those guys would fit on the Bucks. It's not all about stats...
    WTF? How could Curry and Evans NOT do what BJ did? Please explain.

It's easier to make shots when you are on a losing team... it's like every game is practice, but when everything you do matters, it can lead even a decent shooter to shooting under 40%.
    This is a very stupid comment. Every game is like practice? You do realize that the kings and warriors actually tried to WIN some games, right? And that Evans was often the only legit scorer who could create on his own? And that teams would gameplan against him and put the team's best individual defender on him, right? He had to face guys like Kobe, Artest, Thabo, Battier, etc despite playing a lot of minutes at PG, because teams tried to stop him. And, he often guarded the best perimeter player on the other end.

You are crazy if you think that because they lost games that it was just chucking at practice.

This is a very stupid comment. Every game is like practice? You do realize that the kings and warriors actually tried to WIN some games, right? And that Evans was often the only legit scorer who could create on his own? And that teams would gameplan against him and put the team's best individual defender on him, right? He had to face guys like Kobe, Artest, Thabo, Battier, etc despite playing a lot of minutes at PG, because teams tried to stop him. And, he often guarded the best perimeter player on the other end.

You are crazy if you think that because they lost games that it was just chucking at practice.
    And he lost almost every one of those games, despite his stats or highlight plays.

If you watched the Bucks, you'd know that Jennings doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as Tyreke. Tyreke's ball domination would be a huge minus when it comes to the Bucks. And they could either put him at PG and let him drive every time while spacing the floor with shooters (the best possible strategy, IMO) or run him at the SG like they do in Sac town. The problem then is that they lose a shooter and space for Bogut.

The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

Tyreke is a very talented player, but don't just assume because he's on a team that they would be better. I'd say Curry has more potential to fit into the Bucks' system, but I am not sure if I buy that, either.

Despite what people say by looking at stats... BJ is a pure PG who is really great at pushing the ball and making the right pass. And the shots he bricks are usually open. Not that it makes it any better, but he's just had a bad shooting year. He's not a bad shooter or a bad shot taker. He is the type of guy you'd want running your offense.

wait a few years, you'll see what I mean. I wish Bogut had stayed healthy so you could really see the Bucks. They probably would have been the (edit) three seed, too. Say what you want about Bogut being good and Salmons being good and everyone fitting into their role and playing good D, but Jennings came in and ran the PG like a pro. That, to me, is much greater than scoring 20 ppg on a 25 win team. TWENTY FIVE WINS...

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    I don't think it's fair just to hand the award to Evans because Jennings took his team to the playoffs and dominating.

I believe he is the real ROTY!

and you are a retard. congrats

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    And he lost almost every one of those games, despite his stats or highlight plays.
    Evans had multiple game winning plays, as well as a 35 point second half comeback in chicago. Without Martin's drama, the kings weren't that bad. With Martin, they only won 2 games.

If you watched the Bucks, you'd know that Jennings doesn't have the ball in his hands as much as Tyreke. Tyreke's ball domination would be a huge minus when it comes to the Bucks. And they could either put him at PG and let him drive every time while spacing the floor with shooters (the best possible strategy, IMO) or run him at the SG like they do in Sac town. The problem then is that they lose a shooter and space for Bogut.
    You are assuming Evans would dominate the basketball with the bucks, which isn't the case. If he has a legit post option in Bogut (like he did with Landry after the trade), he has no problem giving up the ball. BJ averaged 5.7 dimes while Evans had 5.8 while splitting minutes at point. And he might have had more if his teammates could hit outside shots. It's a myth that Evans can't distribute.

[quote]The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

And as for Curry? Are you seriously saying he isn't a playmaker?

Tyreke is a very talented player, but don't just assume because he's on a team that they would be better.
    I didn't say the bucks would be better. I said with Evans or Curry, the bucks would still be a playoff team. What made them successful wasn't mainly BJ. It was a combination of factors with their rookie point guard being one of them, and Evans and Curry could make the same impact at least. Hell, there was a time Luke was the best PG on the team.

Despite what people say by looking at stats... BJ is a pure PG who is really great at pushing the ball and making the right pass. And the shots he bricks are usually open. Not that it makes it any better, but he's just had a bad shooting year. He's not a bad shooter or a bad shot taker. He is the type of guy you'd want running your offense.
    You just said he misses open shots, but he's not a bad shooter. That's exactly what an inconsistent shooter does: they are inconsistent. I don't see how being a more consistent and efficient scorer is a negative in Curry and Evans. It seems you want to penalize them for that.

wait a few years, you'll see what I mean.
    We are having a discussion about THIS SEASON'S ROY award, not about how a guy will develop in a few years.

but Jennings came in and ran the PG like a pro. That, to me, is much greater than scoring 20 ppg on a 25 win team. TWENTY FIVE WINS...

-Smak
    And Evans and Curry came in and did the same. Why do you look at the record and assume those guys didn't? They stepped up, and could do the job with the bucks.

Hell, I think Collison could do what BJ did with the bucks.

Collison's post AS numbers:

19 PPG, 9 AST, 3 REB
    Last edited by Showtime; 04-18-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Sexual Chocolate=GOAT EroticVanilla's Avatar

I think smak was saying that Tyreke or Curry wouldn't fit stylistically on the Bucks, I'm not saying I agree, but it's possible. Just because someone is a better player doesn't make them a better fit.

And about the practice thing, when most teams played the Warriors or Kings I doubt they put too much effort into defending Tyreke or Curry, compared to what they were doing against players who were on playoff teams (like Jennings). Again I'm just trying to explain what Smak meant so it's just a guess.

Magic Johnson

Nah, he isn't. He doesn't have better numbers than Evans or Curry. He also has a big mouth, which probably doesn't help his case.

I do, however, think Jennings is the only guy of the three who's learning what it actually takes to win in the NBA. Skiles is doing a great job teaching Jennings how to run an offense, play defense, all while showcasing his own abilities. If you had to put one of the three on a winning team right now, only Jennings would thrive.

Jennings didn't take his team to the playoffs. Bogut did. BJ was an key player on a playoff team, but not the one who lead them there.

Hell, with this kind of logic for ROY, Darko Milicic deserved it over Lebron James because he was on the championship team instead of the lottery team.

I mean really, I really believe in Jennings as a player, but if you watch these Bucks games, you know who's leading that team. On the other hand, the Kings didn't fall into the lottery because of Evans. They fell into the lottery because their team is bad. A top draft is most likely inherits a bad team. That's just the way it is. This should be basic sports knowledge.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey6
    Jennings didn't take his team to the playoffs. Bogut did. BJ was an key player on a playoff team, but not the one who lead them there.

Hell, with this kind of logic for ROY, Darko Milicic deserved it over Lebron James because he was on the championship team instead of the lottery team.

I mean really, I really believe in Jennings as a player, but if you watch these Bucks games, you know who's leading that team. On the other hand, the Kings didn't fall into the lottery because of Evans. They fell into the lottery because their team is bad. A top draft is most likely inherits a bad team. That's just the way it is. This should be basic sports knowledge.
    Yeah, Bogut was the better player, but Jennings played a huge rule in the Bucks year. He did a great job managing the team. He's learning how to win.

The Kings fell into the lottery because they suck. Evans had a good year, but I'm still not convinced he's a winner. The guy monopolizes the basketball.