So the draft is less than a week away and the last thread I could find on it hasnt been used in a month, so I figured I would make a new one.
Where do the fans stand on who we want? Obviously Oden, Durant will be gone and it seems to be pretty certain Horford will be too, so what does everyone think? How would you rank the rest of the guys?
Here is how I would rank the guys if I was MJ (the guy with the power):
1) Corey Brewer - We need a SG more than anything and he can defend too, what's not to like? Oh ya, did I mention he is 6' 8" SG?
2) Brandan Wright - More than likely he will be gone but if not, we could use his length, his ability to score, and his defensive presense. Plus the UNC connection is there and that markets well in CLT. (I am biased, btw)
3) Jeff Green - He is pretty much a do-it-all guy. That, and he is a 6' 10" SF who is stong and athletic.
4) Yi - I can't figure out why no one mentions him when they talk about the Bobcats. He is all speculation but his workouts are apparently something to behold and he played will in the FIBA WCs last year. If he can play C for us and score, why not? If he doesn't turn out to be something special, his potential (and workouts) will still be on peoples minds next year and we can trade him. I mean, there is something to be said on trading young prospects when there is still talk of using A Mo. as trade bait.
5) Hawes - An offensive big man sounds good to me. And hes a true center, which we dont have.
Those 5 plus the 3 are gone give us 8 so I dont have to go farther but if I did, it would go Thorton, J. Wright, then Noah. Everyone seems to have us taking Noah but I think he will be the next Adam Morrisson ... a bust. While I think A Mo. will get better, I think Noah will stay flat forever and live in mediocrity. We can all see that enthusiasm and heart (2 things everyone associated with A Mo.) don't translate into good play.
I will hate the Bobcats if they take Noah.
[Not really, but I will lose a lot of the faith I had built up in them after drafting Okafor, Felton, and May.]
I agree that there's a good chance that Noah will be another Morrison as far as not being capable of living up to expectations/talent in the early years of their careers. As far as Brewer for SG--will a rookie be better than Carroll and D.A.?
I'm not gonna act like I watched a whole lot of Bobcats ball (not too much televised up at UNC) this past season but I kept up by reading as many articles as I could. But I don't think either DA or Carroll are the Bobcats permanent solution at SG. Heck, no one had ever heard of Carroll until mid-season this year and he is almost 27 (no, not old but its not young by NBA standards). Anyways, if the Bobcats are going to be a playoff contender, we need more talent than those two have. But, yeah, I think Brewer will definately end up starting on the Bobcats part way through the season; he won't start right off the bat unless he performs really well in pre-season stuff. And I also think he is the long time solution.
While we do need to think of the "now" being a young franchise, we are already set for the future at PG (Felton), SF (Wallace), and PF (Okafor). Why not go after a young SG with skills, only leaving us with one spot to fill.
Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 06-22-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Just listened to Chad Ford's recent podcast and its very similar to his mock draft.
Here's a quick overview if you don't want to hear it.
1) Portland should take Oden
2) Seattle has the easiest job in the draft... pick whoever Portland doesn't.
3) Atlanta apparently wants Horford
4) Memphis apparently really likes Noah now but might also take Conley
5) Boston has no idea what to do now that KG is off the table. Ford could only narrow it down to Yi, Green and Brewer.
6) Milwaukee is looking like they will take Brandan Wright but might go for Conley if he is available.
7) Minnesota - man, I can't remember. I hate ADD.
8) Charlotte will pretty much take whoever is left. Ford seems to think we will take whoever is left. And that will be either Brewer, Wright or Noah.
The more I think about it, we should take Yi Jianlian if he's there. At absolute best, he'd be the next Yao, but he could also end up like Darko.
Exactly, except I think he will much better than Darko no matter what. I am glad someone finally agrees with me.
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I didn't like Noah at first, and still kinda don't, but he'd be to us like Varejao is to the Cavs.
Did you see Varejo in the Finals? No thanks.
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I don't like Jeff Green, Spencer Hawes, or Al Horford, mainly because I haven't seen much to be envied of in college and I haven't heard stellar workout performances by them.
I dont really like Hawes to be honest but I think he is a better choice than Noah. On the other hand, I think Green will be a good player and would be a nice choice at 8. (I ove that we showed so much potential after the All-Star weekend but I hate that we ended up dropping this far in the draft)
Yi is more of a Darko than a Yao. Yaho is willing to bang inside. Yi runs around the court and tries to act like more of a SG. Also in Yi's only workout against competition he "blew away" some third rate college center. Id take Noah over Yi.
Just to update y'all, ESPN's newest mock has us taking Brewer. I don't want to list out every pick because it is an Insider article but after reading all of the comments Ford made, it seems like he is pretty sure Brewer will fall to us. He said the Bobcats really like Nick Young, too.
He also said there is a lot of talk about us trading the pick with the Suns and the Sixers being the two teams that seem most interested. Personally, I think trading the pick would be a terrible idea. Neither of those two teams has anyone I would really want on the Bobcats, at least no one they would be interested in trading us for #8.
They have us taking Sean Williams at #22 as well, which I think would be an amazing pick-up that deep in the draft, regardless of his off-court issues. Honestly, I would think there are a lot more NBA players who DO smoke on occassion rather than those who don't.
Last edited by TarHeelBorn : 06-25-2007 at 03:55 PM.