Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Your Summer League Analysis

I'll start:

Aaron Miles is my MVP after three games so far. First game he put up 19/3/5 (points, rebounds, assists) while shooting 4-5 and hit all 11 free throws. Second game was almost a mirror, with 18/3/5 on 5-11 shooting and 8 of 9 free throws. In game 3, he got 15/2/8 on 4-10 shooting and hit all 7 free throws. The even better part: 3 turnovers in 3 games...as the starting point guard. He is also playing almost 26 minutes/game. If he keeps this up, we may have to do some shuffling to get him on the roster.

Tyrus Thomas is playing fairly well, considering all the bashing people have done to him. Game one wasn't so hot, getting 10/4/2 with 3-9 shooting and 4-5 from the charity stripe. Also had 5 fouls and 6 turnovers. He turned that around with a great performance in game two, with 17/11/2 on 8-13 shooting and 1-4 on free throws, and he also blocked two shots. Again, he had 5 fouls. Game three had even better stats, 19/12/2, but his shooting was horrible - 4-17 from the field and 11-17 from the line. He cut the fouls down to 2 for this game though, so that's a positive, and he's playing a shade over 29 minutes/game.

Thabo Sefolosha tore it up in game one, with 16/4/3 on 6-8 shooting and 3-5 from the stripe. He also had 4 steals and hit a 3-pointer. In game two he had 16/4/1 on 5-8 shooting and 6-8 from the line, and had 3 more steals and a blocked shot. I'm not quite sure why he didn't play in game three, but there is a reason somewhere. He played 30.5 minutes/game over the first two.

No one else has really stood out. I like Luke Schenscher, but he disappeared from the first game, and wasn't much of a factor in the next two.

Eddie Basden, who is fighting for a roster spot, also hasn't done a lot to impress anyone. He scored 11 points in game two, but hasn't done anything significant other than that.

Drago Pasalic, some tall Euro guy I've never heard of before camp, is the biggest surprise. The first game he played decently enough to earn some PT in the next game, where he promptly went 0-9. The coaches stuck with him, though, and he rebounded for a 17-point performance yesterday on 7-9 shooting, and he even hit two threes. Pretty good for a 6-11 forward playing center whenever Schenscher isn't in. He seems to be foul prone though, averaging 6 fouls/game (maybe he is Tyson reincarnate with the outside shot he was advertised to have coming out of high school).

Cedric Banks had a strong showing in the first game, with 17/3/1 on 5-9 shooting, 2-4 from downtown, and 5-6 from the line. He had zeros across the stat sheet the next game, with two non-zero numbers showing up in shots attempted (4) and fouls (3). He then turned in a Duhon-esque performance in the third game with 7/3/5.

Just wanna throw out Chevy Troutman's name because I saw him play a little while he was at Pitt, and because he's got a sweet first name. Don't let the 2 DNP's fool you, he has HOF written all over him (yeah right).

I don't think there is anyone else that deserves to be recognized in this post, but if I skipped anyone, let me know.

I also heard that Ellis Myles of Louisville was supposed to be on the roster, but he hasn't been mentioned in any of the box scores, so I'm not sure what happened there. He's just another big body, but we could use some of those. Has anyone heard anything about him?
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
DwadeOverLebron
High School Varsity 6th Man

DwadeOverLebron has an OK reputation so far
Default yes

aron miles! good pick up for the bulls, i liked his game at kansas, if we trade duhon he can be a very very very good fill in for duhon, he'll do everything duhon does with a better shot and more athleticism, although the defense size and leadership will be lacking, but if we can get something in return for duhon, aron miles is worth keeping, good job.
DwadeOverLebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Game Four Recap:

We lose another close game, but we had to rally late in the game to make it close. Diener had an amazingly hot hand, and I watched enough of the game to see that it didn't matter if he was wide open or had a hand in his face. That's the kind of brilliance he showed at Marquette. I always liked Matt Walsh when he was playing at Florida, and it seems he hasn't lost his shooting touch since he graduated. He also lit the Bulls up from downtown, and we just couldn't rotate over quickly enough to keep him at bay. Now, onto the Bulls:

Tyrus Thomas had a fairly balanced game, doing nothing great but nothing too poorly. He had a few blocks that were totally sweet, and should have had a few more if our guys knew how to play defense without fouling. I think TT is well suited as a Shawn Marion type power forward. I don't like handing out comparisons, and I was skeptical of his abilities heading into the summer league, but he has impressed me with what I have seen of him. He is young, but still has a great feel for the game, and is a great help-side defender. He came out of nowhere to block shots yesterday when the shooter thought he had an easy path to the basket. He also showed flashes of an outside jumpshot, which I was pleased to see. Overall, he posted a line of 13/4/3 on 5-11 shooting and had 3 steals and 3 blocks as well. He even hit a three-pointer! I'm putting him in line for 10/5 this season backing up PJ at the 4.

Thabo Sefolosha sat out his second straight game with a hip injury. They flew him back to Chicago to check it out, and he will go back to Switzerland soon also. Expect him to be back in camp in a month or so.

Aaron Miles had a pretty good all-around game, with the exception of his shooting. Finished with 6/6/11, but only shot 2-10 from the field. He is now averaging over 7 assists/game, and he seems like the likely candidate to fill in one of the remaining roster spots.

Drago Pasalic continues to amaze me. For such a tall guy (6'11), he shoots very well, moves fluidly and quickly, and looks like what people were hyping Bargnani up to be. He swished a few treys, and just as I was getting excited, he airballed the next one, so I guess he still has a little bit of work to do. Finished with 15/5/2 on 6-11 shooting and 3-5 from behind the arc.

Eddie Basden put up the same line as Drago, shooting 4-5 from the field and hitting all 6 free throws. If Miles continues to play like he is, I could really care less about Basden.

Michael Harris had 17 points on 7-9 shooting and contributed another 5 rebounds. Seems like, if given enough PT, this guy can help out a little. He is an undersized forward (6'6 I believe), but has touch and athleticism.

Luke Schenscher didn't play. No idea why not.

Overall, it was a pretty good performance for the Bulls. They faded in the fourth quarter though, giving up a 2 point lead and were actually down by 10 at one point, before making a run and charging back. Once again, they pounded the ball into the paint and outscored the Magic 38-24. The only reason they lost is cuz the Magic shot 13-24 from downtown. That won't cut it even in summer league.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Just quoted this thread on the insidehoops.com front page
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Sweet! Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Bulls_Fan20 : 07-14-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Game Five:

Tyrus Thomas had another big game, putting together a 22/4/2 performance on 8-13 shooting and 6-8 from the line. He had 2 blocks, and a couple sweet alley-oops. Seemed to me like he forced up a couple shots, and he didn't get the rebounds he has been getting, but those were spread out pretty evenly over everyone.

Luke Schenscher was back in the lineup, and he was amazing. When I saw him get the ball in the post and immediately put up a baby hook that swished through the net, I almost passed out. He showed quite a few good moves down low, and finished with 16/6/1 and a couple of blocks, shooting 8-12 from the field. I don't know if he looks like this in practice or not, but if he does, he's a lock to stay with the team this year, especially with our need for big men that can score in the post.

Cedric Banks was also amazing, with a very quick first step, both off the dribble and the pass, and shot extremely well. He also played some pesky defense, and that won't show up on the stat sheet. He only had one steal, but caused countless more. By far the best individual performance of the game, he had 26/4/5 shooting 12-18 and 2-6 from behind the arc. He has a smooth shot that reminds me of Mo Pete, since Banks is left-handed also.

Aaron Miles has been stellar throughout the summer league, but today was not his best day. Had a 2/3/6 line and shot just 1-6 from the field, but only played 16 minutes. A lot of his misses were blocked shots in the lane after he blew by his defender, so he just needs to finish better or dish out. He had done a great job in the first four games of driving and drawing the foul, but didn't get one free throw all game.

Nobody else stood out today, but as a team, we dominated every aspect of the game that wasn't related to Marcus Williams. He torched us for 27 points on 11-15 shooting, and our defenders once again were slow to rotate on the perimeter, giving the Nets quite a few open shots. In the end, the scoreboard showed 92-77.

One thing I noticed during this game was that we did not finish well in the lane. There were three possessions in a row where the ballhandler drove into the lane, put up an off-balanced shot, and had it swatted away. A few more of those came later, but aside from that, we shot the ball very well.

Another promising part of the game was the low amount of fouls and turnovers. We only committed 15 fouls and had only 8 turnovers. Compare that to the other games: we had 36/17 in game one, 34/13 in game two, 40/19 in game three, and 22/16 in game four.

The award for Most Valuable Bench Warmer goes to Chevy Troutman, who played only 1:36 in five games.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Well, the Orlando Summer League is over, and it seems we need a recap of last week's action. Here are the player averages per game (bolded if player led team in category):

(Minutes/Points/Rebounds/Assists/Steals/Blocks/TO's/Fouls/FG%/FT%)
Tyrus Thomas
27.5/16.2/7.0/2.2/1.0/1.4/3.0/4.0/44.4%/63.2%

Thabo Sefolosha
30.6/16.0/4.0/2.0/3.5/0.5/3.0/4.5/50%/91.7%

Aaron Miles
24.5/12.0/3.4/7.0/1.0/0/1.6/2.4/45.8%/80%

Cedric Banks
19.6/10.6/2.0/2.6/0.8/0/1.6/2.4/54.5%/42.9%

Michael Harris
16.1/9.8/5.2/0.4/0.2/0.6/0.8/2.0/51.2%/75%

Drago Pasalic
17.9/8.2/3.4/0.8/0.4/0.4/1.2/4.8/68.8%/69.2%

Eddie Basden
22/8.0/3.8/1.6/0.6/0/1.0/2.8/38.1%/96.6%

Luke Schenscher
22.1/6.8/3.3/0.3/1.0/0.8/1.0/3.0/46.7%/72.7%

Ugonna Onyekwe
18.3/5.2/2.2/0/1.0/0.6/0.8/4.0/44.7%/100%

Jackie Manuel
14.4/4.4/1.0/0.4/0.6/0.4/1.6/1.4/50%/54.5%

Justin Bowen
14/4.0/2.3/0.5/0.5/0.5/1.0/1.8/38.9%/50%

Who is your MVP of the Summer League? I'm gonna take Tyrus Thomas, cuz he lead us in most of the categories, was hustling whenever I saw him on the court, and looked like he was ready to take on the challenge of living up to the hype.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation
Default ...

TT, from looking at his stats played well in the summer league.

Hopefully that can translate into success on the NBA stage.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Yeah, he did play well. I watched most of the games, and he was really taking it to the hole and being aggresive on offense, and he had some sweet blocks on the defensive end. The only thing I didn't like was sometimes it looked like he tried to take the whole game into his hands on offense, and that's when he drove and put up a brick instead of dishing it out. He will learn, and he has a good group of teachers to help him out.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Your Summer League Analysis

Good to see Aaron Miles playing well. It'd be sweet to see him and Kirk reunite again. Then deal off Duhon and someone else to try to get Collison.

Seeing Miles, Hinrich, and Collison on the floor all at the same time, Jayhawk dream.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Post Re: Your Summer League Analysis

This was from last summer...Aaron Miles isn't on the team this summer.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #12
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
This was from last summer...Aaron Miles isn't on the team this summer.

Yeah I realized that after I post it but was to lazy to edit it.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

He's playing for the Wiz I think. just saw him play the other day
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: