Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lettuce be a realist; Wade and Bosh will have to take significant paycuts.

If the Heat really want to win another title, they are going to have to add some depth, which means having LeBron, Wade, and Bosh take up 90% of the cap isn't going to work. The only question is, who takes a paycut, and how much?

LeBron James- LeBron shouldn't take any significant cut. He's the best player in the game, and he's worth every penny of the MAX contract he deserves.

Chris Bosh - Bosh is still a top tier PF, don't let the numbers fool you. He's worth around 15m per year in my estimation, which is about 3-4m less than he was making on his last contract... but could end up being around 5-6m less than he could make on the open market.

Dywane Wade - This team can't afford to pay Wade more than 12m per. I'm not sure the extent of his knee issues, but he missed quite a few regular season games last year, and he appeared to be breaking down by the end of the playoffs. Even when he was 'healthy' he didn't really exhibit the ability to take over games anymore.

So the question is, will Bosh and Wade take significant paycuts to try and win another title with this core? And if so, how much do YOU think each player would be willing to take?

Default Re: Lettuce be a realist; Wade and Bosh will have to take significant paycuts.

Bosh loves Miami, he wants to stay there. He's owed 40m over the next 2 years. Offer him 60m over the next 4 years. He'll opt in. With Wade, 4 year 50m. Lebron gets the Bosh deal.
    Haslem opts out and takes 3 year 6m deal.

So..

Lebron 15m
    Bosh 15m
    Wade 12.5m
    Haslem 2m
    Cole 2m
    +26th pick 1m
    =47.5m

Projected salary cap 63m.

Go get Lowry on a 4 year 40m deal. Rest can return on min vet.

Default Re: Lettuce be a realist; Wade and Bosh will have to take significant paycuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Bosh loves Miami, he wants to stay there. He's owed 40m over the next 2 years. Offer him 60m over the next 4 years. He'll opt in. With Wade, 4 year 50m. Lebron gets the Bosh deal.
    Haslem opts out and takes 3 year 6m deal.

So..

Lebron 15m
    Bosh 15m
    Wade 12.5m
    Haslem 2m
    Cole 2m
    +26th pick 1m
    =47.5m

Projected salary cap 63m.

Go get Lowry on a 4 year 40m deal. Rest can return on min vet.
    I doubt Wade will play 4 years for $50m when he can just take $42m for 2 years.

You'll have to do at least 5 years $60m.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix

Wade's knees in 3 and 4 years at age 35-36 won't even get him above 10m on the market. This deal is good for him, especially if he wants to stay in Miami and compete for championships.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

IF Wade doesn't - the Heat should consider buying him out

He will stay - cause of his loyality - uni retirement has to be done !

Bosh and Wade have no motivation. It has been clear this season that they do not give a shit about winning another ring. Especially Wade. He has 3 rings, no knees and tons of mileage. I would not be too surprised if he opted in and finished his career in peace instead of trying to go on another selfdestructive championship attempt.

Not a championship material

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

cannot do 5 years, as he will turn 35 during the contract. Max of 4 years

Yep. I'd take the $42m/2years and run. Money up front (that can be invested) in present time is much more valuable than money 4 years from now. Even not accounting for the time value of money, $50m - $42m = $8m divided by 2. Some team will offer him $4m/per 2 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Yep. I'd take the $42m/2years and run. Money up front (that can be invested) in present time is much more valuable than money 4 years from now. Even not accounting for the time value of money, $50m - $42m = $8m divided by 2. Some team will offer him $4m/per 2 years from now.
    You're missing the bigger issue, being relevant. Staying in the limelight is important for Wade. A declining Wade without Lebron is bad for business. 4 more years in the spotlight with Lebron is better for business. It's a marketing tool, he knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    Bosh and Wade have no motivation. It has been clear this season that they do not give a shit about winning another ring. Especially Wade. He has 3 rings, no knees and tons of mileage. I would not be too surprised if he opted in and finished his career in peace instead of trying to go on another selfdestructive championship attempt.

Not a championship material

I think this might be the case. If you put yourself in Wade's shoes it'd be easy to keep your current contract and retire in 2 years.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Wade won't take any less than what Bosh gets.

Wade/Bosh = 4 years for 52-55 mil
    Lebron = 4 years for 60 mil or 1 year for 15m

They just have to get the most out of UD's situation. He's gettin paid $4.6m for doing nothing.

Gotta get Lowry for sure. Ariza would be a huuuge pick up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    You're missing the bigger issue, being relevant. Staying in the limelight is important for Wade.
    No it isn't. Your boyfriend went to the Heat and you still don't even get his teammates' personalities yet?

I rule the local playground Fork's Avatar

They're not going to

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    No it isn't. Your boyfriend went to the Heat and you still don't even get his teammates' personalities yet?
    You do know Wade has business outside of basketball and being relevant and part of the big 3(with Lebron) is important? Its a business decision, what the hell are you talking about?

Wade can opt in but he'll lose Lebron, he'll lose playing for championships, he'll lose attention that comes with being part of the Heat and additional money if he'd get if he opted out and signed a longer deal. 2 or 3 years from now Wade's knees won't get him anything close to above 10m a year. He'll be 35 with chronic knee issues.
    Last edited by Nash; 06-25-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    If Wade opts in for two years and LeBron leaves, Wade will be lucky to be standing upright in two years. He's an all-star SG who cannot shoot well from the outside, and has historically relied on his penetration and quickness to score. If he keeps pushing the envelope for two straight seasons with no "paid time off" like he's been getting the past two seasons he'll be finished and likely will get injured sometime in the next seasons or two.

So no, I disagree with Wade likely getting $4m/per 2 years from now.