Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Personality test - are you a highly sensitive person?

http://hsperson.com/test/highly-sensitive-test/

About 20% of humans are born with a highly sensitive neural system. These people are more aware of what is occurring around them. They notice more in their environment. They tend to process things for longer time, and more deeply, than others. They have higher empathy. They are more affected by negative childhood events. They have trouble making decisions. They are often creative. Loud noises bother them more than they bother non-sensitive people. The same for distinct smells, tastes, or textures. They will often have a deeper appreciation for things like music or art. They become emotionally exhausted more quickly than others, and often need time to recharge, alone.

As I read more about this trait last year, I realized immediately that I was one of the 20%. It really cleared up a lot of confusion and helped me understand myself a lot better. I am really happy to have this trait, although it can be challenging at times. I wouldnt want to live life any other way.

Anyways, I am curious if anyone else here has this trait. This test was created by Dr. Elaine Aron, the psychologist who initially discovered and has led much research on the topic of highly sensitive people. Since then, the scientific community has discovered this trait in many others species, always right around that 20% number. The trait has been documented in ants, birds, humans, and many other species. It is something a person is born with, and it is even evident in babies.

Even if you arent an HSP, it might still be interesting to learn about. Simply because, there may be an HSP in your family, friend group, or maybe even your girlfriend- if people on the internet actually had girlfriends. I think it is something that more people should be aware of and I just find it to be a really interesting topic. Tell me what you think!

Default Re: Personality test - are you a highly sensitive person?

One of those things people love to convince themselves that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    One of those things people love to convince themselves that they have.
    I know the kinds of things you are talking about, but that is not the case. This isnt pseudo science, it is well documented in both the psychology and science fields.

Not surprised you're one of the 20%. You do seem ultra sensitive. Your avatar and the way you post is ****ing hilarious to me.

I know I am highly sensitive. There is a percentage of people who are just opposite and it's like they are walking around drunk all the time with low sensitivity... I can just tell by the way they are acting their normal state of being must feel much different than mine. Stimulation doesn't effect them as much. There is a reason for both existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916

I know I am highly sensitive. There is a percentage of people who are just opposite and it's like they are walking around drunk all the time with low sensitivity... I can just tell by the way they are acting their normal state of being must feel much different than mine. Stimulation doesn't effect them as much. There is a reason for both existing.

My 2nd favorite poster. I love you guys.

I scored a 3.

Quite a dumb test. Vague statements that can be interpreted so many ways. How you score just depends on whatever you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    I know the kinds of things you are talking about, but that is not the case. This isnt pseudo science, it is well documented in both the psychology and science fields.
    This is exactly one of those things. In fact, most of the manuscripts the author is publishing are in open source journals that don't even have an impact factor.

You are not HSP; or anything neurologically enhanced. You are a loser on the internet spouting right wing talking points who lacks original thought. This is neck-beard internet bullshit.

Serious playground baller CP343's Avatar

**** This Test! I'm Not Sensitive!

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    This is exactly one of those things. In fact, most of the manuscripts the author is publishing are in open source journals that don't even have an impact factor.

You are not HSP; or anything neurologically enhanced. You are a loser on the internet spouting right wing talking points who lacks original thought. This is neck-beard internet bullshit.

Did I use the word enhanced? No, that was your word. Fact, high sensitivity is an adapted survival strategy that is found in approximately 20% of SEVERAL species of animals, not just humans. It does not make me or anyone special, it is simply a genetic trait.

You have spent about 5 seconds reading about something that I have spent months. Perhaps a little humility? We disagree politically so everything I say is a complete farce?

I will not give in to your negativity however, with you being one of the most predictably aggressive and angry posters I have seen on any site. I cannot remember one positive thing that has been written in one of your posts. I am glad I do not have to walk around with whatever disgusting feeling you must have in your chest every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Quite a dumb test. Vague statements that can be interpreted so many ways. How you score just depends on whatever you want to be.
    The test can only be an initial guide, the only true way to know where you stand is to learn more about high sensitivity. I still have trouble answering most of the questions on that test.

Some things to consider are, do you find yourself in deep states of thinking often? Do little events and occurrences tend to stick in your mind for a long while? Are you more empathetic than others, in general? Do you quickly (or somewhat quickly) get burnt out from social interaction, and feel that you need time to recharge? Do insults really make you think and stick with you?

This one is a bit harder to figure out: Do you tend to notice little things in your environment? This is thought to be one of the biggest advantages of high sensitivity, from an evolutionary stand point. For example, a highly sensitive deer would be very aware of little details to the environment. Perhaps a slight sound (could be a predator stalking in the woods). Perhaps the leaves looking a very slightly different color than normal. This behavior represents a trade off, because the deer might ''psyche'' itself out of good opportunities; running from a potential food source because it is wary of a non-existent predator. Whereas, a normally sensitive deer would just dive right in and grab the food. However, his trade-off is..... on the rare occasion, there actually IS a bear behind that bush.

The test can only be an initial guide, the only true way to know where you stand is to learn more about high sensitivity. I still have trouble answering most of the questions on that test.

Some things to consider are, do you find yourself in deep states of thinking often? Do little events and occurrences tend to stick in your mind for a long while? Are you more empathetic than others, in general? Do you quickly (or somewhat quickly) get burnt out from social interaction, and feel that you need time to recharge? Do insults really make you think and stick with you?

This one is a bit harder to figure out: Do you tend to notice little things in your environment? This is thought to be one of the biggest advantages of high sensitivity, from an evolutionary stand point. For example, a highly sensitive deer would be very aware of little details to the environment. Perhaps a slight sound (could be a predator stalking in the woods). Perhaps the leaves looking a very slightly different color than normal. This behavior represents a trade off, because the deer might ''psyche'' itself out of good opportunities; running from a potential food source because it is wary of a non-existent predator. Whereas, a normally sensitive deer would just dive right in and grab the food. However, his trade-off is..... on the rare occasion, there actually IS a bear behind that bush.
    What if you're highly sensitive but also like adventure and the unknown?

I hear a sound but I'm not scared and want to see what it is and have confidence that I'll be able to fight off whatever threat that may be waiting.

Does that make me alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    What if you're highly sensitive but also like adventure and the unknown?

I hear a sound but I'm not scared and want to see what it is and have confidence that I'll be able to fight off whatever threat that may be waiting.

Does that make me alpha?
    Not sure if serious but I will answer seriously. It is known that a lesser amount of HSPs are also thrill and novelty seeking, but they are a slightly more rare group. Being aware of danger, or at least, the potential of danger, does not necessarily mean you have to run from it.

Does it make you alpha? No, negging girls and talking really loudly at the bar makes you alpha.

I'm sure there are ways to determine high sensitivity. That test is not one. It's pretty much useless in determining anything.

And there are different kind of sensitivity. One might detect very slight drop in temperature but no kind of insult will stick to him. Or someone might be very good at noticing very subtle things he can see or hear, but he don't notice smells. You can't just generalize all of it. For most people, they are highly sensitive at some things but not others.