Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Younggrease
Banned

Default AI is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA

Throughout AI's career he has been a ball dominant pg/sg that played poor defense and shot a ton. He has not ONCE even tried to fit into a TEAM scheme. He has played selfish basketball at every stop. No team is ever gonna win a championship with a 5"11 sg trying to shoot on every play and only passing when his shot is taken away. But AI's ego wont let him realize that.

But to spite all this people try to say this guy is a great player. Great players give there teams chances to win titles, but no team with AI on it is ever gonna win a championship. AI is nothing more then a guy who will go out and get his no matter the consequences. But because he gets his numbers and scoring titles people like to call him great... great players adjust to win and AI has not adjusted his me first game since entering the league.This is why I feel he is the most overrated player to every play in the National Basketball Association.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: AI is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA

So AI not winning a title automatically negates his accomplishments and ability?

How many other players arent "great" based on your criteria?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Throughout AI's career he has been a ball dominant pg/sg that played poor defense and shot a ton. He has not ONCE even tried to fit into a TEAM scheme. He has played selfish basketball at every stop. No team is ever gonna win a championship with a 5"11 sg trying to shoot on every play and only passing when his shot is taken away. But AI's ego wont let him realize that.

But to spite all this people try to say this guy is a great player. Great players give there teams chances to win titles, but no team with AI on it is ever gonna win a championship. AI is nothing more then a guy who will go out and get his no matter the consequences. But because he gets his numbers and scoring titles people like to call him great... great players adjust to win and AI has not adjusted his me first game since entering the league.This is why I feel he is the most overrated player to every play in the National Basketball Association.

This is exactly what I've been saying for the past 5 years ever since AI got hype.

I've said it over and over and over again, no team with AI will ever win the championship. His style of play will never be on a championship team. The best shot he has is off the bench.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
So AI not winning a title automatically negates his accomplishments and ability?

The thing is a team with AI as its best player is not capable of winning a title. Any team where AI play his style of ball is destined to lose. Thats what makes his whole game and all of his accomplishments overrated. They were achieved playing losing basketball and he refuses no matter the supporting cast to play a better brand of ball.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
hotsizzle
Superstar

I've always been neutral on AI but Im starting to think kinda the same of him. Although I dont think its his ego thats the problem, its just how he plays the game. I dont think he goes out there "to get his".. he really truly cares about winning but his style of play just doesnt allow that...and I'm not sure how effective he could be if he tried to change it. The ball comes out of his hand only if it means a shot or a pass and a lot of his dribbling is unnecessary and just takes times off the shotclock. Rarely ever will he swing the ball or something...

Last edited by hotsizzle : 04-26-2008 at 10:31 PM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

well, he did lead a team to the finals once when he had a team built around him to work with his style of play. i'm not going to put together an argument against the OP, i'm just bringing up that point.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
jasonterry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

it's not that he isn't good. He was never a franchise player, never will be, never made anyone better, never will make anyone better and thats why hes overrated. but theres too many idiots out there who know nothing about basketball who think he's a great player because apparently the fact he can score despite his size means something.
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Oh man.. please don't tell me a first round exit means it's all AI's fault. If you're saying all of this, just please tell me you're not saying it because of this series.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
jasonterry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
I've always been neutral on AI but Im starting to feel the same way. Although I dont think its his ego thats the problem, its just how he plays the game. I dont think he goes out there "to get his".. he really truly cares about winning but his style of play just doesnt allow that...and I'm not sure how effective he could be if he tried to change it. The ball comes out of his hand only if it means a shot or a pass and a lot of his dribbling is unnecessary and just takes times off the shotclock. Rarely ever will he swing the ball or something...

so in other words you admit I was right all along, eh?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
amfirst
Good college starter

Stop hating, AI would be good if he was on a real team.

PG are only good in the system their coaches run. It's not like they make their own plays. The coaching staff makes the plays for them.

Prime example, Nash on the Mavs = crap. Nash on the Suns = MVP, Thanks to D'antoni
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
jasonterry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfirst
Stop hating, AI would be good if he was on a real team.

PG are only good in the system their coaches run. It's not like they make their own plays. The coaching staff makes the plays for them.

Prime example, Nash on the Mavs = crap. Nash on the Suns = MVP, Thanks to D'antoni

lol, carmelo anthony, dpoy camby, kenyon martin, jr. smith...

nash and the mavs made the wcf could have won it all if dirk didn't go down
im sure dirk would trade carmelo for josh howard but that could just be me
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
kps
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonterry
So far i have called (a) iverson most overrated ever and was berated as a racist, now people are finally realizing I was saying the honest truth (b) i said the shaq trade was horrible and was blasted for it (c) said dirk elevates his game in the playoffs, and now all his haters are silent.

no people berated you cos you are racist, you've put up alot of racist posts, I called you on one a few days ago you wrote about Asians and you went back and edited it to make yourself look better.
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
CaptainOwlClub
I rule the local playground

i am a huge nuggets fan and i wish i didnt agree with alot of what you said

i think people that believe iverson is "great" do not really understand the team concept or basketball-

you cannot deny that iverson makes some very good shots and is a very good and durable athlete-

statistics are not the entire game- you will hear some of these iverson fans tell you he is a great defender because of his steal #'s- to those of you who don't understand and need explaining- the most important thing on defense is to cover your man- it is really really easy for nba players to score when nobody is covering them

i always want to believe that maybe iverson will change and maybe he can be the point gaurd we need- but he wont

iverson needs to go to a team that needs a top scorer, a knicks, twolves, maybe even bulls or nets

good luck with your saying something bad about iverson thread
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I can see I am in the minority about this but AI did lead his team to the Finals and win an MVP. Chris Webber did average 20/10 with him when he was on the downslope of his career after his knee surgery. McKie won a 6th MOY award and LB won a COY award with AI as the lead player. Yeah he does have a less than spectacular turnover rate and has a fairly low FG% sometimes but to say he cant win a ring is a little overboard. He is not the problem with the Nuggets if that is what you are trying to blame him for.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonterry
lol, carmelo anthony, dpoy camby, kenyon martin, jr. smith...

nash and the mavs made the wcf could have won it all if dirk didn't go down
im sure dirk would trade carmelo for josh howard but that could just be me

the nugs have talent, but as a team they play horrible D. no team will win a championship that way, i don't care who's on the roster.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: