Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #31
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Default Re: AI is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA

Most overrated player ever?

No.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #32
PK3434
Good Golly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
Well I don't think AI is overrated at all. I've like him since his days at Georgetown where he did win a championship.

he`did??
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
kidachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
Well I don't think AI is overrated at all. I've like him since his days at Georgetown where he did win a championship.

he didn't win a title there..
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #34
TmacsRockets
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Throughout AI's career he has been a ball dominant pg/sg that played poor defense and shot a ton. He has not ONCE even tried to fit into a TEAM scheme. He has played selfish basketball at every stop. No team is ever gonna win a championship with a 5"11 sg trying to shoot on every play and only passing when his shot is taken away. But AI's ego wont let him realize that.

But to spite all this people try to say this guy is a great player. Great players give there teams chances to win titles, but no team with AI on it is ever gonna win a championship. AI is nothing more then a guy who will go out and get his no matter the consequences. But because he gets his numbers and scoring titles people like to call him great... great players adjust to win and AI has not adjusted his me first game since entering the league.This is why I feel he is the most overrated player to every play in the National Basketball Association.

Give AI prime Shaq and he wins 4+ titles easily. If he took at team to the finals with a 35 year old Mutombo, think how easily it would be for him to win with a prime Shaq?
TmacsRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #35
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Good luck with this fight OP and Glove_20. You're right, but too many kids on here see the points and the highlight reels and think AI is the GOAT. AI is a good scorer, and he brings it 100% every game. But, he will not be the centerpiece of a team that wins an NBA championship. Ever.

I like the 6th man idea. But, I don't think AI's ego would ever allow that unless he was physically unable to play 40+ minutes a game anymore.

100% agree. Sometimes I think the difference between a fan that understands the game and one that doesn't is how high they rate AI. Unfortunately you'll see that bias is the reason most fans overrate AI, and most that overrate AI are either AI fans or 76er/Nugget Fans.

And yeah you're right, there are too many kids who get hung up with the hype.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #36
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Growing up about an hour from Philly, I have had my fill of AI in my lifetime. Don't misunderstand me: he is an amazing player and definitely HOF/Top 50 material. But, he isn't anything close to what the majority of AI fans make him out to be. He is an undersized scorer who doesn't particularly score efficiently, but he plays with such heart and passion that you know he is leaving everything out there every game.

But, the typical AI fan response seems to be: Look up the AI Crossover on Tyronn Lue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
100% agree. Sometimes I think the difference between a fan that understands the game and one that doesn't is how high they rate AI. Unfortunately you'll see that bias is the reason most fans overrate AI, and most that overrate AI are either AI fans or 76er/Nugget Fans.

And yeah you're right, there are too many kids who get hung up with the hype.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #37
john_d
just read'n.

is lebron the next AI?
john_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #38
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Funny because it actually makes sense.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #39
kps
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
100% agree. Sometimes I think the difference between a fan that understands the game and one that doesn't is how high they rate AI.

yeah that should be the criteria for rating a fan's basketball knowledge
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #40
kps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Funny because it actually makes sense.

yeah to you it would
Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #41
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Winning a championship in the NBA is incredibly difficult. It take the right mix of skill, teammates, coaching, and luck to make it to the Finals and win. When AI was put in, according to Glove, the perfect situation for him he made it to the Finals and got beat by one of the most dominant playoff teams ever.

Nobody could win a championship on this Denver team. The whole situation stinks of mediocrity from the players down to the coach. The team is not built well and George Karl is not using the talent they have in the correct way. AI is too old to be the centerpiece at this stage in his career so there isnt even a point to this argument anymore.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #42
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Throughout AI's career he has been a ball dominant pg/sg that played poor defense and shot a ton. He has not ONCE even tried to fit into a TEAM scheme. He has played selfish basketball at every stop. No team is ever gonna win a championship with a 5"11 sg trying to shoot on every play and only passing when his shot is taken away. But AI's ego wont let him realize that.

But to spite all this people try to say this guy is a great player. Great players give there teams chances to win titles, but no team with AI on it is ever gonna win a championship. AI is nothing more then a guy who will go out and get his no matter the consequences. But because he gets his numbers and scoring titles people like to call him great... great players adjust to win and AI has not adjusted his me first game since entering the league.This is why I feel he is the most overrated player to every play in the National Basketball Association.

You are too harsh. You are right that AI's game is nearly impossible to build around and it's next to impossible for him to be on a contender playing the way he plays.

But it's not because AI "doesn't try" to fit into a team scheme or because he's selfish and only wants to get his. It's just how his game is...he's a natural born scorer. Blame God for not making him 6'5.

AI plays with heart and passion. He'd do anything to win. But he's just not a good defender, and he's not a pass first point guard that elevates his teammates game. Those are traits that you can work on to a certain degree, but only to a certain degree....his game just isn't built that way.

How I see AI falls somewhere in between you and the Iverson lovers on ISH. You guys are way too harsh and the Iverson fans refuse to acknowledge the fact that the Sixers played better almost immediately after they traded AI for Andre Miller.

Two years ago I said the Sixers shouldn't be that bad with that lineup. They had a 20/10 big man who can pass (webber), a shot blocking athletic center (dalembert), a guy who can hit open shots from anywhere (Korver), an athletic swing who can defend (Iguodala). Iverson fans bashed me for saying AI should have done more. They kept claiming his cast was trash.

After the Iverson trade went down and ISH was filled with threads sayig they'd dominate the league. I suggested that the trade may not work. I got killed by Iverson fans again.

About 3 months after the trade i mentioned how the Sixers seem to be playing better, especially Iggy. I got killed by Iverson fans again.

They're in denial. I'm sure they will come in and tell you "you're an idiot.. Iverson can't win? What about 01". (they will bring up 01 everytime becuase that's basically the only year Iverson wasn't on a mediocre team)

But at the same time, you're far too harsh blaming this on his ego or how he's all about numbers.

Note: I noticed even the hardcore AI fans have backed off a little because they're starting to realize the truth. A year ago ifyou start this thread, the three hardcore AI fans (Gobb, Rasheed1, Richie2k6, and a few others I forgot) would have insulted you and told you you don't know nothing about basketball for saying what you're saying. Now they just disagree with you and that's that.

Last edited by EricForman : 04-27-2008 at 03:27 PM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #43
kps

that or they're tired of having to defend the same old same old
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #44
imlmf
Banned

yeah his style of play just does not win ball games