Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

Default Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.
    Before you learned this you wouldn't have encouraged her to stay in school?? Instead encouraged her to not study and defy the odds and become a professional basketball player??

I usually hit open layups TheGame's Avatar

I didn't find that shocking at all.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore sonicman's Avatar

I find it shocking they are making that much... who watches the WNBA?

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Before you learned this you wouldn't have encouraged her to stay in school?? Instead encouraged her to not study and defy the odds and become a professional basketball player??
    No, but are you comprehending that they are making peanuts as pro-athletes? If the best of the best makes 97 grand, the #1 draft pick makes 44 grand, imagine what the scrubs make.

NBA lottery pick

If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.
    In today's economy, that is not surprising. I don't even think the WNBA will be around, in 10-12 years, from now. The sport is just not played at a high level, for people to care, to watch, or to spend their hard earn money on merchandise.

Also, I doubt many of these WNBA players actually went pro, to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think most of them just love to play basketball. If they are doing what they love, and are able to support themselves, then who cares about salaries.

But yeah... WNBA(to me at least) is boring to watch. I would rather watch Tiger Woods playing golf than WNBA. Why? Because Tiger Woods is playing on a high level. A level that only a few people can actually obtain. The WNBA players play at a level that many, many people can obtain(especially males).

Think about it like this. Candace Parker's career earnings (at least from salary) might never reach 1 year of Sheldon Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    In today's economy, that is not surprising. I don't even think the WNBA will be around, in 10-12 years, from now. The sport is just not played at a high level, for people to care, to watch, or to spend their hard earn money on merchandise.

Also, I doubt many of these WNBA players actually went pro, to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think most of them just love to play basketball. If they are doing what they love, and are able to support themselves, then who cares about salaries.

But yeah... WNBA(to me at least) is boring to watch. I would rather watch Tiger Woods playing golf than WNBA. Why? Because Tiger Woods is playing on a high level. A level that only a few people can actually obtain. The WNBA players play at a level that many, many people can obtain(especially males).

Your post was a perfect example of exponential decay. I think I'm going to save this conversation for future references. You went from stating a solid opinion and thoughtful insight to ignorant. Jeez what a drop-off. I'm disgusted I read this post. You're just a ignorant sexist... Let the flaming continue

3-time NBA All-Star

No, but are you comprehending that they are making peanuts as pro-athletes? If the best of the best makes 97 grand, the #1 draft pick makes 44 grand, imagine what the scrubs make.
    Am i comprehending that they don't make much money?? Absolutely.

Is this the first time i've read this, or am I surprised at all they make so little? Absolutely not.

Salaries are relative to the revenue created by the teams and the league through ticket sales, merchandising, sponsorships, and media deals, which I'd guess to be slightly above NOTHING.

Learning to shoot layups

ridiculous alright, they should be earning half that :P

Oh, this isn't a woman's rights thread whatsoever. In fact, I can say that beginning to end I haven't watched one full WNBA game. It was just merely something that I saw today and said wow...

Think about it like this. Candace Parker's career earnings (at least from salary) might never reach 1 year of Sheldon Williams.
    I honestly think they should trade places.
    Candace Parker to the NBA
    Sheldon Williams to the WNBA.. or the Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    I find it shocking they are making that much... who watches the WNBA?
    Lesbians. Or better yet, dykes. Butch lesbians.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Lesbians. Or better yet, dykes. Butch lesbians.
    Its like ISH is a breeding ground for ignorance.... wait a minute Ignorance Spawning Hole

Anyways, maybe just women that like basketball??

Or maybe parents of daughters who are into basketball that would rather have their daughters watching players who actually relish the opportunity to be role models, instead of players making a big shot and "juggling their balls" (Cassell, Kobe, Odom).

Just because you'd rather watch the NBA than the WNBA doesn't mean that everyone has the same preference. Personally, I've never watched a WNBA game in my life but there's still a place for it without getting bullsh*t from people like you.

when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

The minimum they can make is $34,000. The Ls average is $45,000.

They only play 34 games.

they are fairly compensated.

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.