Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Scorrison
I usually hit open layups

Default Re: '08 Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
Release a 3rd/4th overall pick after 1 season?! Are you nuts? Maybe you meant trade, but even that would be unreasonable.

I think he was talking about releasing May, which I'm all for.

The fact of the matter is at some point you need to gamble in the draft to get a star, as guys with that much talent rarely spend much time in college.
Scorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

May's bought and paid for next year...so why cut him? I imagine we'll stick thru with him until next preseason into the beginning of the season and see if he can still play. If he doesn't then (hopefully) insurance will cover his salary and we can part ways.

Jamison will be VERY difficult to get because of our salary situation. To be sure WAS will offer him more than the MLE, so in order to get a competitive offer together we needed to dump contracts like Hammer's before the trade deadline for expirings...which we didn't do. About the only feasible way at this stage is to just renounce Mek...which we won't do.

I haven't seen OJ Mayo play one game, but assuming we stay near the 7th pick it wouldn't surprise me if he's the choice. MJ & Mayo's "relationship" was used as an example right after MJ bought into the Bobcats; owners were alarmed at the access MJ had due to the camps he runs.

Would that be a bad thing? It'd give us a "true" combo guard, put Felton at the PG primarily plus give him a good backup. I'd still start JSwish at the 2, but between the 2 slots Mayo should get upwards of 25-30 mpg.

Still need a 4 though.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #18
Felton in '08
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

As much as it saddens me to type this, we need to think about it. What if Crash isn't the Crash we knew and loved anymore? I am really worried about that. A concussion a year is a pretty scary trend. Is a combo of Dudley and Morrison going to work at the 3 spot?

Regardless, we would still need to address front court issues first. I guess I'm proposing considering a "raw" SF with our 2nd round pick. No idea who that could be at this stage, but with a little research I'm sure I could think of a few.
Felton in '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Not a bad idea. Mayo has been pretty good this season but I kinda feel like he might need more help than he has at USC to fulfill his potential... he draws so much attention from the defense he turns the ball over too much.

I still think we need to add big depth but Mayo would fit if we can add depth in free agency.
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton in '08
I guess I'm proposing considering a "raw" SF with our 2nd round pick. No idea who that could be at this stage, but with a little research I'm sure I could think of a few.
James Johnson from Wake. He is 6-8 but is only a freshman and is a heck of an athlete. There is word he is coming out (McHale was at the UNC-Wake game scouting him, reportedly) and I think he's a major prospect for a 2nd rounder.

But I still think we will want to take a big in both rounds, simply b/c we HAVE to add depth.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Not that his injury was directly related to playing PF, but I definitely think we need to use him in that position sparingly vs. permanently as Vincent as done. Next year we'll have both Ammo & Duds to play SF as well as JSwish...who'd get a lot of time at the 3 if we were to draft a Mayo type. I think that would be enough to at least start the season with.

I definitely agree though...we HAVE to get an upgrade in big guys.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
Scorrison
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
James Johnson from Wake. He is 6-8 but is only a freshman and is a heck of an athlete. There is word he is coming out (McHale was at the UNC-Wake game scouting him, reportedly) and I think he's a major prospect for a 2nd rounder.

But I still think we will want to take a big in both rounds, simply b/c we HAVE to add depth.

LOVE JJ, but I don't see him coming out this year. He needs alot of work before he is NBA ready. If he comes out this year, it's because he's getting terrible advice or not making grades.

I think we should shut down Crash for the year, give Dudley tons of minutes, and hope for the best for GW next year...
Scorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorrison
I think we should shut down Crash for the year, give Dudley tons of minutes, and hope for the best for GW next year...
I actually like that idea. Help us lose a few more games and get a better chance at #1. And it gives Crash tons of time to heal and get over any mental blocks he might have as a result of the injury.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #24
MikeUK
Decent playground baller

To clear it up, I said draft Jordan and then after NEXT season, release May if he's not fit. Jordan would get a year before being the main starter that way.
MikeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 AM   #25
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

Quote:
I actually like that idea. Help us lose a few more games and get a better chance at #1. And it gives Crash tons of time to heal and get over any mental blocks he might have as a result of the injury.

SO that would totally screw my fantasy team... lol. That really doesn't sound like a bad idea. We are on a downward spiral, makes no sense not to develop young talent and keep an injury prone guy off the court
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #26
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvThisGame
SO that would totally screw my fantasy team... lol. That really doesn't sound like a bad idea. We are on a downward spiral, makes no sense not to develop young talent and keep an injury prone guy off the court
I had Yao, you get no sympathy... haha.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: