Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Shaq's height without shoes changed on draftexpress

As a huge fan of player measurements,

I just discovered that shaq's height without shoes has been changed from 7'1 to 7'0 recently, as I was checking their website last night.

I emailed its owner and he said some new sources that he found caused him to make this change.

he hasn't shown me the exact source, but I thought many would be interested.

I always considered draftexpress to be very credible so I'd assume this change would influence all beginners to measurements of players.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Shaq's height without shoes changed on draftexpress

Height is systematically embellished in the NBA. No player is really the height he is listed on any official document.

You usually won't find out a player's true height unless he is retired and happens to mention what his real height is.

based on what I know, I always thought shaq was the benchmark or a standard 7'1 without shoes, or at least he was very close to that...

I know cavsfan's research indicated that he was not a full 7'1 without shoes but if we round up any of those numbers he would be 7'1....I was just surprised that he could go as low as 7'0 without shoes...

that would downgrade everything we know about players' heights if it's true.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhtc
    based on what I know, I always thought shaq was the benchmark or a standard 7'1 without shoes, or at least he was very close to that...

I know cavsfan's research indicated that he was not a full 7'1 without shoes but if we round up any of those numbers he would be 7'1....I was just surprised that he could go as low as 7'0 without shoes...

that would downgrade everything we know about players' heights if it's true.

MOST people already know that every player's height is a lie.

Where tf have you been???

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

MOST people already know that every player's height is a lie.

Where tf have you been???
    I'm referring to a few player's height who we thought we knew what their real barefoot height is,
    i.e, hakeem.

This might explain why an old man Wilt, who by the late 1970's was measured 7-0 and 1/2, and likely was even a few fractions shorter by the 1990's, still looked significantly taller when they met, thank you for the update. And this also explains why Shaq on Howard Stern stated he was 6-11.5 (which might actually be his more specific height). 7-1 (or rather more specifically, 7-0 and 5/8ths and 7-0 and 7/8ths which were the two very specific numbers pulled from his draft info) could in fact be his IN shoes measured height if this is all true.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-31-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This might explain why an old man Wilt, who by the late 1970's was measured 7-0 and 1/2, and likely was even a few fractions shorter by the 1990's, still looked significantly taller when they met, thank you for the update. And this also explains why Shaq on Howard Stern stated he was 6-11.5 (which might actually be his more specific height). 7-1 (or rather more specifically, 7-0 and 5/8ths and 7-0 and 7/8ths which were the two very specific numbers pulled from his draft info) could in fact be his IN shoes measured height if this is all true.
    we don't know completely if the 7'0 claim is true, I hope the owner of draftexpress will get back to me with the source soon. if that's true, wouldn't that downgrade the height of so many other players???

david robinson was measured at 7'0 in the 1992 olympics, but quite often he looks slightly shorter than shaq.
    and the same thing applies to ewing and hakeem... if shaq is indeed 7'0 without shoes, based on the footage and pictures I've seen with them ewing and hakeem may very well be as short as 6'10.xx or 6'9.xx without shoes.

I personally believe that ewing and hakeem are still 6'11 and 6'10 respectively, but it's shaq's shoes that makes shaq appears to be taller than those guys by a few inches.. but we may never know..

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhtc
    we don't know completely if the 7'0 claim is true, I hope the owner of draftexpress will get back to me with the source soon. if that's true, wouldn't that downgrade the height of so many other players???

david robinson was measured at 7'0 in the 1992 olympics, but quite often he looks slightly shorter than shaq.
    and the same thing applies to ewing and hakeem... if shaq is indeed 7'0 without shoes, based on the footage and pictures I've seen with them ewing and hakeem may very well be as short as 6'10.xx or 6'9.xx without shoes.

I personally believe that ewing and hakeem are still 6'11 and 6'10 respectively, but it's shaq's shoes that makes shaq appears to be taller than those guys by a few inches.. but we may never know..
    It's common knowledge that Hakeem was 6'10".

Banned

Its common knowledge that all 7 footers are really around 6ft2 and the guards listed as 6ft2 are really dwarfs. It's all a trick if the camera and is in the nda you sign when attending games. Please don't post more threads like this or ish will get a cease and desist from the nba!

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Just seven feet? He may slip a bit. Christian Laettner is a great player, showed he can lead a team to a Championship. His Duke squads were an ACC power. What did Shaq do in LSU? Overrated. And now we know why. Just seven feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Just seven feet? He may slip a bit. Christian Laettner is a great player, showed he can lead a team to a Championship. His Duke squads were an ACC power. What did Shaq do in LSU? Overrated. And now we know why. Just seven feet.
    Agreed. He'd be lucky to be a top 5 draft pick at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Agreed. He'd be lucky to be a top 5 draft pick at this point.
    I'm actually not even sure he could play in this era. When he played he was like the only real 7 foot player, today practically every big man is 7 foot. He was just ahead of his time. [COLOR="White"]lulz[/COLOR]

It's always possible he grew later. I remember Elden Campbell reportedly grew an inch or two when he was in the middle of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    It's always possible he grew later. I remember Elden Campbell reportedly grew an inch or two when he was in the middle of his career.
    Yes but when people make claims without evidence they aren't adding anything to a topic. It's possible Shaq lost an inch. It's possible Shaq wasn't measured properly. It's possible draftexpress was misinformed. It's possible Shaq was never even measured in the first place. It's possible X (______insert any idea that comes to mind without evidence____).

Doesn't bring this topic anywhere.

You make a thread like this and are questioning other posters contributions:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=255389