Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Default Re: Is jordan reall manufactured??

Quote Originally Posted by Warfan
    The video is very biased too from what I remember, I watched it a long time ago, maybe ill watch it again to see if there's at least some legitimacy in it. I can see how I'm coming across as a d1ck but that's not my intention. Trust me, once you do the proper research you'll change you're mind about this. Just don't go around saying stuff like this like it's 100% true when you're not completely knowledgable enough about it
    The title was a question not me trying to force a fact i believed. everybody was 100% against the possibility that jordan was a fake, so i tried to test it by questioning it. your the only one who actually came up with anything that really made me think otherwise.

Jordan is manufactured in the sense that he got superstar calls, but so do KD, Kobe and Bran.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    Jordan is manufactured in the sense that he got superstar calls, but so do KD, Kobe and Bran.
    how sweet it would be !!

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    result would always be the same regardless of who MJ played with. as long as he was bringing money into the league he'd win every time.
    Yep, I'm thinking thats why Tim Duncan won 5 titles. The league wanted to cash in on his flamboyant style, and the big market mecca that is San Antonio.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Yes he was.

However, even w/o all the marketing and PR campaign he got, he was probably the best player of all time. It's debatable (everything is, even so-called facts... not to speak of opinions) but it's clear he is at or very near the very top of every sane fan's list.

That being said, MJ profited from:

- Magic and Bird having built the laegue for quite some time right before MJ's peak
    - Nike and a huge marketing budget
    - the NBA just becoming worldwide
    - cable TV
    - a great time for the economy and global politics

He was a great player, quite possibly the best. Still manufactured in a sense.

Bj>mj

He's one of the top, but that he's the best is manufactured. Just like with everyone else who is seen as the greatest. More often than not, they are overhyped. Someone has to be the best.

It could be an actor, an artist, a musician... the media does play a large part. It's kind of like when potential great, need for new great, and media love align that someone ends up being the best ever.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    He's one of the top, but that he's the best is manufactured. Just like with everyone else who is seen as the greatest. More often than not, they are overhyped. Someone has to be the best.

It could be an actor, an artist, a musician... the media does play a large part. It's kind of like when potential great, need for new great, and media love align that someone ends up being the best ever.

-Smak
    I think he has the best overall resume of anyone ever, but a case can be made for a few others. Nobody's perfect for the GOAT role, not even Jordan. But he's the best fit.

Now it would have been interesting if Russell could have dominated in the 80s instead of the 60s, given the media exposure, DPOY and FMVP awards, plus keeping track of block shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    I think he has the best overall resume of anyone ever, but a case can be made for a few others. Nobody's perfect for the GOAT role, not even Jordan. But he's the best fit.

Now it would have been interesting if Russell could have dominated in the 80s instead of the 60s, given the media exposure, DPOY and FMVP awards, plus keeping track of block shots.
    I made a thread about that once, how Russell playing in an era where they didn't hand out Finals MVP's and DPOY's really screwed him over in his argument over Jordan for GOAT. This would have most likely been Russell's resume had he played in an era that handed out those awards

5x MVP, 7x Finals MVP, 11x DPOY, 11 All-NBA team selections, 12 All-Defensive team selections

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Yes he was.

However, even w/o all the marketing and PR campaign he got, he was probably the best player of all time. It's debatable (everything is, even so-called facts... not to speak of opinions) but it's clear he is at or very near the very top of every sane fan's list.

That being said, MJ profited from:

- Magic and Bird having built the laegue for quite some time right before MJ's peak
    - Nike and a huge marketing budget
    - the NBA just becoming worldwide
    - cable TV
    - a great time for the economy and global politics

He was a great player, quite possibly the best. Still manufactured in a sense.
    All excellent points. I do think MJ is the GOAT, but I've always maintained that his ascension to greatness was a perfect storm.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by NZStreetBaller
    I just watched these two videos and its really got me convinced. especially when it says that it is a sin to deny jordan as the GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M-KCulzJqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmlfiMDUTQ4

I mean i honestly wouldnt be suprised if i got banned if i deared to say MJ wasnt god.

MJ did benefit in some degree, so do kobe and lebron. MJ didn't just reach the expectation, he exceed what people could anticipated that kobe and lebron failed to do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk

Russell in the 80s-90s = Dennis Rodman. And before you all blow a gasket... That's not meant as an insult. Rodman has 5 rings to his name, in an era where you had to win more than just 2 series to win the 'ship. He was also pound for pound a better rebounder and possibly a better all around defender (obviously bill has the edge in shot blocking).

And what makes Jordan any more 'manufactured' than every other superstar in league History. MJ got a 5 year $500k contract from nike coming off national POY and championship honors in college. LeBron got a $100 million dollar guarantee while a High School senior and complimentary embarrassing tape confiscation service from the same company. He also enjoys media reach and coverage Jordan could never have imagined in his day. Bron has his own phone app that covers his life 24/7 for ****ssake

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Russell in the 80s-90s = Dennis Rodman. And before you all blow a gasket... That's not meant as an insult. Rodman has 5 rings to his name, in an era where you had to win more than just 2 series to win the 'ship. He was also pound for pound a better rebounder and possibly a better all around defender (obviously bill has the edge in shot blocking).
    Rodman was not a better rebounder, but at least that's something you could discuss. However they are not even in the same stratosphere as defenders. Rodman was a very good defender, one of the best of his era, but Russell is the greatest of all-time. He anchored the top defense pretty much every year.

Also Russell was a very good offensive player who the Celtics ran their offense through whereas Rodman did almost nothing to contribute top the offense outside of offensive rebounding.

And finally Russell was such a good teammate and leader that he won two titles as player coach whereas Rodman needed multiple people to keep full time tabs on him just to keep him on the court.

I hope you see how absurd what you suggested is.

Russell in the 80's/90's is Hakeem Olajuwon with better intangibles.

I don't believe he was manufactured. His skill is undeniable. Him having the green light his entire career wasn't manufactured either. If he sucked, he wouldn't be allowed to shoot that much. I am one of the few people on this board that have actually seen him lose a playoff series. Most times it wasn't because of his skill level. His teammates weren't good enough and he simply lost to a better team. Even in losses he was still the best player in the series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Lebron gets shut down by Dallas, Boston, Spurs - none of them athletic teams, (paul pierce guarded lebron a lot).
    Last edited by 3ball; 09-06-2014 at 03:11 PM.