Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 12-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
artificial
:-P

Default Long rant about why I don't celebrate a W

Sixers getting a win has stopped being a necessarily good thing for me. I don't even feel happy most of the times. Instead, I get a little pissed. There, I said it. I'm a horrible fan I guess.

Why?

It's no secret that the Sixers franchise is in rebuild mode. I love Iguodala, but I don't think he can carry this franchise too far; not as the centerpiece. Anyone can correct me on that, that's just how I feel. Who knows what Thaddeus can develop into, kid is still all about potential and future. But even at my most optimistic, I don't think he can develop into a franchise player.

Bottomline, Philly is at least one franchise player away from making any serious noise again. And I don't think Philadelphia is getting a franchise player via free agency, as much money as they can throw.

The top prospects for the 2008 free agent market are: Elton Brand, Corey Magette, Shawn Marion and Gilbert Arenas. One important thing to notice is that ALL OF THEM are on early termination options. Besides, I don't think any of them could be seriously interested in coming to Philly with the roster we have. I don't know about the 2009 free agent class though.

That leaves us with the draft. There's a reasonable chance we can pick a franchise player there, just as Sixers got The Answer ten years ago. I know, there's no way to guarantee a top pick even with a bad record (see celtic luck). But I like the top prospects for this upcoming draft (Mayo, Rose, Beasley), and that may be Philly's best bet for the future as of now.

Then again, in a similar situation to last season, Sixers are piling up wins. No, not enough wins to have a record we can feel proud of (11-16), and unless some sort of trade is pulled, it's likely Sixers will finish the year with a winning % around .300 - .400 which only guarantees a draft pick lower than #3 (probably around 5-10).

The other way out is that Stefanski pulls out some miraculous trades or lands a big name free agent, but that's putting too much in faith's hands, so I'll hold myself. I rather wish for a good pick, which is becoming more and more surreal with every win, and there why I can't celebrate from my heart every time I hear the Sixers won. It's really sad that even after trading Iverson we're still stuck in mediocrity.

I probably stated the obvious for many, but I wanted to know if I am the only one who feels this way.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
marny_navis
Banned

Default Re: Long rant about why I don't celebrate a W

I hate the fact that Philadelphia is winning games. Iggy is not a franchise guy, and they need to pair someone with him. Andre Miller needs to be traded. He has no spot on this team in the future. Sadly, I think the Sixers will end up with pick 6-7, and unless someone slips to them, like Mayo, they won't get a top-notch player.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

well at least i know who is in the foxhole with me glad to have you boys.

i say we look silly for about 2-3 years where we dont understand the rebuilding project stockpile about 3-5 guys depending on who we trade for picks then bam! celtics them on veteren guys like bosh, lebron, wade , melo?
trade our classy draft picks for vets then 4 years later square one
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
donsanchez306
High School Varsity 12th Man

well we beat miami .....that probably doesnt float your boat.
donsanchez306 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: