Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore bih's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe being amnestied?

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Kobe merchandise would sell for millions. The few million dollars a team would throw Kobe's way would only result in massive profit.
    So much this.

Kobe is now like David Beckham.

Teams were going ape shiit over Beckham due to his merchandise and advertising revenue.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i
    Then why even go for amnesty? They should just do the career ending injury waiver which takes his salary off the books also, so no team can pick him up off waivers.
    Too risky. If the league can prove he can play 11 months and 29 days from now, the Lakers wouldn't be able to use it and would be screwed.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Too risky. If the league can prove he can play 11 months and 29 days from now, the Lakers wouldn't be able to use it and would be screwed.
    Not exactly. It takes about 12 months to recover from a torn achilles. But its if the injury is serious enough that it could end his career. A torn achilles is pretty severe.

Under NBA rules, if a team is granted salary-cap relief for a career-ending injury to a player who thereafter participates in at least ten games the next season, the salary cap relief is terminated and the amount is added back to the team's salary cap ceiling.
    Last edited by b0bab0i; 04-13-2013 at 01:33 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Not exactly. It takes about 12 months to recover from a torn achilles

Under NBA rules, if a team is granted salary-cap relief for a career-ending injury to a player who thereafter participates in at least ten games the next season, the salary cap relief is terminated and the amount is added back to the team's salary cap ceiling.
    Soooo, it would be risky like I said. You just said it takes about 12 months. For someone as determined as Kobe, it wouldn't be surprising if he came back in 11 months or so, meaning with 10 games left. If that happens, they're screwed. I don't know all the details behind it. I'm just going with what I've heard.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Nah, blazers just used the amnesty clause on Broy and no one put a bid to get him because they felt he wasn't gonna come back.
    I believe Roy found a loophole where retiring and forfeiting a year made it so nobody could pick him up off of amnesty, that way he could sign his own contract when he returned. I think anybody could do this if they plan on skipping the entire season, which most amnestied players don't plan on doing. However, I don't think the Lakers would be able to re-sign Kobe if he does it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Soooo, it would be risky like I said. You just said it takes about 12 months. For someone as determined as Kobe, it wouldn't be surprising if he came back in 11 months or so, meaning with 10 games left. If that happens, they're screwed. I don't know all the details behind it. I'm just going with what I've heard.
    I don't think you know how it works.

The independent doctor determines whether it is a career ending injury, if the doctor says it is, then the Lakers can go ahead and proceed with the waiver. There is no risk on their cap if Kobe decides not to play next year.

Read up on Darius Miles' situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I believe Roy found a loophole where retiring and forfeiting a year made it so nobody could pick him up off of amnesty, that way he could sign his own contract when he returned. I think anybody could do this if they plan on skipping the entire season, which most amnestied players don't plan on doing. However, I don't think the Lakers would be able to re-sign Kobe if he does it this way.
    You're a Blazers fan right?

They are two different things. One is an Amnesty which happened to BROY, Baron Davis, Gilbert Arenas.

The other is Darius Miles situation involving the career ending injury waiver with blazers.

In an effort to shed Miles' $18 million dollar contract,[6] the Portland Trail Blazers petitioned the NBA and the NBA Players Association in March 2008 to provide an independent doctor to decide whether Miles could play again.[7] The examination determined that Miles' knee injury was severe enough to be career-ending, prompting the Blazers to request waivers for his release on April 14, 2008.[5] However, Miles had the option to sign on with another team if offered a contract, potentially reverting the $18 million savings the Blazers hoped to gain if Miles played in 10 games in 2008.[8]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Miles

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 10h
    One last thing: assuming Kobe is out for entire '13-'14 season, insurance normally covers 80% of injured player's salary. Kobe due $30.4M.

Also, if they were to amnesty him they lose his Bird rights, so they would need actual cap space to resign him
    Last edited by chazzy; 04-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park alexd's Avatar

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Lakers would still sell out tickets without Kobe, but it won't be the same.

College star

The Lakers should amnesty Kobe if the conditions are ripe:

1) By July, medical staff are indicating the Kobe will take longer than 6 months to recover, and would be available in January/February at earliest.

2) The amnesty would supplement other off-season moves to acquire capspace to use this summer.

3) The Lakers are certain Kobe would re-sign in a year for 1-2 years and end his career in LA.

The 2nd condition is particularly significant. It makes no sense to amnesty Kobe if it's not going to give the Lakers any cap space anyway. What you guys aren't considering is how much the Lakers are over the cap for next season. If it's $30 Million or less, then amnesty him, I agree. But, if the team is still going to be $10-20 Million over the cap even after amnestying him, what's the point? To save them from the tax penalty? I doubt it.

Oh look, people who don't know how the CBA works. Shocked and amazed, I am.

Amnestying Kobe lessens the actual dollar amount the Lakers will have to pay in luxury tax and that's really about it. When the Lakers re-sign Howard...and they most certainly will...they'll be right back over the cap for the 2014 season, assuming Artest picks up his option.

They will have a biannual, a small midlevel and veteran's minimum deals to give out. Nothing else.

Mind you...they'll still have to pay Kobe his $30 million regardless.

Makes little sense to amnesty him.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Mind you...they'll still have to pay Kobe his $30 million regardless.
    Not all of it. Kobe is sure to be picked up in the Amnesty draft. Just so a team can have his Bird Rights at the very least. So figure at least $5 million or more will be paid by the new team.

But everything else u said is right. Lakers won't have cap space this coming season no matter what. But they'll save a TON of luxury tax money if Kobe is amnestied. Also, if Lakers have cap space in summer of 2014, which they should, they won't need Kobe's Bird rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Not all of it. Kobe is sure to be picked up in the Amnesty draft. Just so a team can have his Bird Rights at the very least. So figure at least $5 million or more will be paid by the new team.

But everything else u said is right. Lakers won't have cap space this coming season no matter what. But they'll save a TON of luxury tax money if Kobe is amnestied. Also, if Lakers have cap space in summer of 2014, which they should, they won't need Kobe's Bird rights.
    Nash and Howard (when he signs) are the only guys under contract for 2014-2015 I think.

And if Kobe does get amnestied, I fully expect he would retire before playing for another team. Maybe he'll do one last Olympics to show the world Kobe > them and that'd be it.