Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #46
Revelation
The Fouler

Default Re: Which current USA player would make the original dream team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
-The only other "weak links" on the original dream team were Laettner and Mullin... If anyone on the current roster could have toped them I dont know. Dont know much about them.

I'm pretty sure Mullin was not a "weak link". People forget how good he was...

Chris Mullin:
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #47
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Anyone who is omitting Chuck is just plain dumb. He was the best player on the original Dream Team, and the best PF in the league. One "bad" season doesn't change that.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #48
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
all i'm hearing is this:

are we talking about career's? i'm talking about one season. i'm talking about winning games and leading your team to the second best record in the nba and a conference finals appearance, against a lottery bound team. nance shot a much better % from the FT line, was a better defender, blocked 5 times the number of shots barkley did, and won alot more. it really is a no contest

yeh, i'm pretty sure i've already mentioned the year 1992 as a year nance was better than barkley. nance was also better in the already mentioned '85, besides this barkley was better every year

what results? how can you sit there and say what might or might not have happened if larry nance was selected rather than charles barkley?

i don't care if nobody buys it. and buys what? 17/8/3 with 3 blocks, 57 regular season wins and a conference finals appearance as the best player on the team is better than stat padding your way to the lottery

again. they shouldn't have been named. the 3 centers should've been robinson, ewing, and olajuwon. the guards should've been jordan/stockton, hardaway/drexler, and johnson, hornacek. nance was the main guy on that cleveland team.

they had more or less that same team the previous year and they made the second round of the playoffs

yes.
we're just going to have to disagree on this one, because your premise is that nance was better than price and daugherty and that his team's record proves that he was better than barkley in 92, and i can't possibly see myself being swayed in that direction.

fyi hakeem missed 12 games 1992, his numbers were down, and his team didn't do as well as daugherty's. the difference between their production was not close to as large as the difference between chuck's and nance's (just to bring your personal standards of excellence in) and the rockets only won 5 more games than the sixers and did so with vernon maxwell matching hawkin's production and otis thorpe playing better than anyone else on the sixers AND they did it in a west that was weakened somewhat after magic left and before charles arrived. if charles had a worse year than nance that season, then hakeem had a worse year than daugherty by the same standards.

anyway, agreeing to disagree because we've clearly got very different standards in effect.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #49
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
this is not really relevant, but clyde was actually at his best around then. he had more numbers earlier in his career and would win a title as a second fiddle in 95, but in terms of what he brought to the table he was still near his peak athleticism and was by far the best player on that blazers team bringing them to two finals in three years. i think 92 was his only all nba first team appearance actually (though to be fair he had to contend with mj and magic most of his best years, so he was sh!t out of luck.)

Maybe I have some clouded memories of him, but I really seem to remember him just exploding the year the Rockets made the Finals with him and won their championship.

NBA.com doesn't have his playoff stats by year, probably because he retired before they started putting that info on the site, but I did find this blurb in his bio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA.COM
The Houston trade reunited him with college teammate Olajuwon, and the two powered the Rockets from the sixth seed in the playoffs to the 1995 NBA Championship. In 35 regular season games with the Rockets that first season, Drexler averaged 21.4 ppg on .506 shooting with 7.0 rebounds.

His valued soared in the postseason. In that 22 playoff game run, he was the teams' second leading scorer behind Olajuwon with 20.5 ppg while also grabbing 7.0 rpg and dishing out 5.0 apg. In the Finals sweep over the Orlando Magic, his production even increased to 21.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg and 6.8 apg. In the conference finals, he and Olajuwon became the third set of teammates to score 40 points in a playoff game as Drexler hit for 41 in Game 4 against the Jazz.

I dunno, but making a Finals run like that seems to me to be his peak. After that, his scoring production dropped, injuries occurred, they couldn't get a title with Barkley, and finally he just retired.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 AM   #50
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Anyone who is omitting Chuck is just plain dumb. He was the best player on the original Dream Team, and the best PF in the league. One "bad" season doesn't change that.
like yeh totally. what loser said that
Quote:
we're just going to have to disagree on this one, because your premise is that nance was better than price and daugherty and that his team's record proves that he was better than barkley in 92, and i can't possibly see myself being swayed in that direction.

Quote:
fyi hakeem missed 12 games 1992, his numbers were down, and his team didn't do as well as daugherty's. the difference between their production was not close to as large as the difference between chuck's and nance's (just to bring your personal standards of excellence in)
actually the difference between nance's and barkley's production was minute, with barkley getting the slight edge. hakeem and daugherty though? the difference was huge, and i'm just talking production. the reason hakeem deserved 3rd team selection is simply because he was much better than daugherty. 5th in rebounds per game, 2nd in blocks per game, and one of the best defenders in the game.
Quote:
and the rockets only won 5 more games than the sixers and did so with vernon maxwell matching hawkin's production and otis thorpe playing better than anyone else on the sixers AND they did it in a west that was weakened somewhat after magic left and before charles arrived.
the rockets won 7 more games than the sixers. hawkins was better than maxwell. i don't know why you are mentioning this. are you doing it because i said that barkley didn't deserve all-nba selection? if this is the case hakeem shouldn't be compared to barkley because they play different positions. and the west was overall stronger than the east in '92
Quote:
if charles had a worse year than nance that season, then hakeem had a worse year than daugherty by the same standards.
no. there is a middle ground you have to find. obviously i wouldn't say the 12th man on on the best team in the nba is better than the best player on the worst team in the league. hakeem led his team to a winning record, daugherty was the second best player on his team. hakeem was one of the best defenders in the game, daugherty wasn't. hakeem could block shots, daugherty couldn't.
Quote:
anyway, agreeing to disagree because we've clearly got very different standards in effect.
kewl
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #51
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Chris Mullin was a weak link?

I hate ISH.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #52
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

I hate ISH.

I live on the east coast, so I never got to see him play much. I take back my comments about him being overrated after I saw his statlines above. I knew he was a fantastic shooter, and a good passer, but I never knew he had such good assist and rebounding numbers.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #53
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

I hate ISH.

I second that.

Give Mully his props!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #54
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

kobe and thats all... maybe kidd
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #55
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation

Chris Mullin:
true
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #56
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

all these guys are talking about backups, from what i've seen on espn classic the guys all got pretty much the same amount of time since there was no competition. Chemistry was there, now it's not.

kobe
lebron
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #57
skan72
Deep dick pizza

I'd say Kobe as well.
And I'm ashamed to admit it, but until I saw that statline above, I never knew how good Mullin was. I knew he was a pretty good player, but those stats are nice.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #58
Devientz
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation

Chris Mullin:

You misinterpreted what I said..Read my post. When I said "weak link" I was in no way implying that they werent a great player. Notice when you read on how I said "Not exactly weak links huh?" Fact is when your looking at that roster, your comparing him against the best to ever play the game..Jordan, Bird, Magic, Barkley etc...so yes if your replacing someone on that roster Mullin WAS a "weak link"....not a bad player, but not on the same level as the legends hes playing with.
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: