Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Interesting trade idea by Stephen A. Smith

So I'm listening to the Stephen A. Smith show yesterday on AM 710. I normally disagree with the guy and I think he has a very low basketball IQ, but he did bring up an interesting trade idea regarding Pau Gasol.

He said that there is no way that the celtics should expect Gasol for Rondo alone. So he said

Lakers trade: Pau Gasol

Celtics trade: Rondo, Ray Allen

At first I'm thinking no, but then I realized something. This team is lacking a) a point guard, and b) an outside threat.

If we traded for these two guys with Pau Gasol alone, this is what I would imagine that our lineup would look like:

Rondo
Allen
Bryant
Murphy
Bynum

I don't like Murphy as a starter so feel free to plug in who you think would be better. But as far as the idea itself, I like it. Here is why:

Ray Allen is definitely old, but he keeps himself in such great shape, and all he really does is run through screens to get wide open and shoot. He really doesn't need to do anything else. He would give this lakers team so many easy opportunities.

Rondo is a starting caliber point guard, a championship one, and he, in my humble opinion, is the best half court guard in the NBA. He knows how to play in a slow system, is a great defensive minded player. Pressures ball handlers very well, which gives Kobe a bit of a break on defense. Rondo also is a triple double guy. He does everything well except for shooting, but Fisher isn't the best shot maker either, but thats why we have Allen, to improve the shooting along with Kobe.

Pau Gasol is not that old, but in 1 or 2 years his numbers will diminish in my opinion, because he does not keep his body in great athletes shape as does someone like Ray Allen. So it is not like we would be decreasing our window of opportunity.

So while I think SAS is an idiot, I do like this idea. Thoughts?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Interesting trade idea by Stephen A. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
So I'm listening to the Stephen A. Smith show yesterday on AM 710. I normally disagree with the guy and I think he has a very low basketball IQ, but he did bring up an interesting trade idea regarding Pau Gasol.

He said that there is no way that the celtics should expect Gasol for Rondo alone. So he said

At first I'm thinking no, but then I realized something. This team is lacking a) a point guard, and b) an outside threat.

If we traded for these two guys with Pau Gasol alone, this is what I would imagine that our lineup would look like:

Rondo
Allen
Bryant
Murphy
Bynum

I don't like Murphy as a starter so feel free to plug in who you think would be better. But as far as the idea itself, I like it. Here is why:

Ray Allen is definitely old, but he keeps himself in such great shape, and all he really does is run through screens to get wide open and shoot. He really doesn't need to do anything else. He would give this lakers team so many easy opportunities.

Rondo is a starting caliber point guard, a championship one, and he, in my humble opinion, is the best half court guard in the NBA. He knows how to play in a slow system, is a great defensive minded player. Pressures ball handlers very well, which gives Kobe a bit of a break on defense. Rondo also is a triple double guy. He does everything well except for shooting, but Fisher isn't the best shot maker either, but thats why we have Allen, to improve the shooting along with Kobe.

Pau Gasol is not that old, but in 1 or 2 years his numbers will diminish in my opinion, because he does not keep his body in great athletes shape as does someone like Ray Allen. So it is not like we would be decreasing our window of opportunity.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't like the idea of Kobe having to slide down to play SF. It may take a lot of toll on his 33 year old body. You'd have to have him possibly guarding the likes of Durant and Lebron if they meet up. I don't like that matchup. Now if this were Rondo + Pierce for Gasol + Fisher or Blake,
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
kobe080
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
It's an interesting idea, but I don't like the idea of Kobe having to slide down to play SF. It may take a lot of toll on his 33 year old body. You'd have to have him possibly guarding the likes of Durant and Lebron if they meet up. I don't like that matchup. Now if this were Rondo + Pierce for Gasol + Fisher or Blake,

I feel the same.
There's no way Kobe can guard 3 position anymore in this league with the way they see more and more 6-9 SFs.
I would certainly like Pierce and Rondo over Ray, but we would also have to get Bass in the trade. Just cannot simply give up Gasol without getting a big in return.
I would propose this

Gasol + Blake + 2 1st round picks for Pierce, Rondo, Bass and Avery Bradley.

Rondo and Bradley would give 2 solid PG rotation with Fisher as a kicker in crunch time. Celtics basically get 2 1st round picks for Bass & Bradley which is not bad.

Our rotation
Rondo/Bradley/Fisher
Kobe/Mini Mamba
Pierce/MWP/Barnes
Bass/McRobert
Bynum/Murphy

One heck of a lineup with deep bench.
We could even have an option of bringing Pierce off the bench as a leader of the 2nd unit.
kobe080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

Rondo
Allen
Bryant
Murphy
Bynum

i got a better 1 for u....Walton/1st round pick for Beas

Pau/Beas for PP/Rondo/JO

Rondo
KB
PP
JO/TPE PF
Bynum

now with that squad ill take my chances
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Rondo and Allen for Gasol? Ehh yea I don't know I mean allen is still in great shape but damn I mean we will have Rondo as the one man fast break with the proposed lineup and Kobe would almost never play the 3... He's a 2 and that's what he is. He will slide into that spot at times but never when there is somebody decent at the 3 out there.

It would be much better to get a PG with a consistent shot so they can play off Kobe when they don't have the ball. But if they just really want to get rid of Gasol, Rondo and Bass would be fine with me. Bass is a solid player and Rondo is a good/really good PG. I just want us to set up ourselves for the future have some sort of plan in place.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 03-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

First of all, who's Mini Mamba?

That lineup does look better, it's a lot more balanced. But why would Boston want Gasol though?
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:

SAS is full of sh it. We aren't trading our young star and a $10 million expirer for a player slightly past his prime with a very large contract.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

I wouldn't put much behind what SAS theory. Dude just said yesterday on ESPN if I remember correct "The lakers are not going to make any trades"
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: