Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Steezygotups
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Quicks

im a pretty fast guy anyways, but does anyone know some workouts i can do to increase my first step and overall quicks?
Steezygotups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Default Re: Quicks

If you stop calling speed 'quicks', then sure :)

Do some plyometrics, and some higher weight lifting.

Plyos + Squats + Deadlifts should help. Thats just some VERY general help though.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
gblz
I airball my layups

Work on some footwork drills, you want fast feet if you want to have an explosive first step.

There's also something called the tennis-ball-drop drill, where you have a buddy drop a tennis ball at about half-court and you try to catch it before it bounces twice. This works on your reaction time and trains your first step to be more explosive. Youtube these if you're interested.

Other than that, all I can think of is core training. Work on your core + your legs.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
dwight20-20
future footer

i need to improve my lateral quickness. i have trouble staying in front of my man when i have to guard perimeter players.
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Steezygotups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
If you stop calling speed 'quicks', then sure :)

Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Steezygotups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblz
There's also something called the tennis-ball-drop drill, where you have a buddy drop a tennis ball at about half-court and you try to catch it before it bounces twice. This works on your reaction time and trains your first step to be more explosive. Youtube these if you're interested.

that sounds cool, so its pretty much just sprinting, except the tennis ball adds a "motivatior" i guess haha?

so pretty much the only way to become quicker is to just sprint, ha.

calf workouts, anyone know if this will help either?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
KJones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblz
Work on some footwork drills, you want fast feet if you want to have an explosive first step.

Other than that, all I can think of is core training. Work on your core + your legs.

They are called reaction sprints and there are a million ways you can do them. Straight, single straight, Sideways, sideways cross over, Sideways open, sideways single leg pivot, reverse right, reverse left, Falling Push Up, jog in, reverse pedal in... You can even add a ladder in to combine a quickness component with the acceleration component... Remember quickness and speed are two different things. To improve speed you either want to increase stride length or stride frequency. Frequency will be improved by basic foot quickness drills; Dot, ladder, line jumps, and also plyos for max speed not max height.

Improving stride length is first going to come down to improving flexibility of the hip flexors, hamstrings and groin. Improved arm drive is also important. Things outside of the weight room that you can do are; overload and assisted running drills, e.g. Uphill sprints/down hill sprints, speed chute runs, regular and release, jog in sprints, falling sprints, push-up sprints etc.

Also don't forget that dynamic vision and reaction speed will play a big role in improved quickness.

Run Faster & Jump Higher:
http://www.program51.com
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Steezygotups

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
They are called reaction sprints and there are a million ways you can do them. Straight, single straight, Sideways, sideways cross over, Sideways open, sideways single leg pivot, reverse right, reverse left, Falling Push Up, jog in, reverse pedal in... You can even add a ladder in to combine a quickness component with the acceleration component... Remember quickness and speed are two different things. To improve speed you either want to increase stride length or stride frequency. Frequency will be improved by basic foot quickness drills; Dot, ladder, line jumps, and also plyos for max speed not max height.

Improving stride length is first going to come down to improving flexibility of the hip flexors, hamstrings and groin. Improved arm drive is also important. Things outside of the weight room that you can do are; overload and assisted running drills, e.g. Uphill sprints/down hill sprints, speed chute runs, regular and release, jog in sprints, falling sprints, push-up sprints etc.

Also don't forget that dynamic vision and reaction speed will play a big role in improved quickness.

Run Faster & Jump Higher:
http://www.program51.com

that was very helpful thanks. and yes i am just more concerned with increasing my first step, and being able to get to my top speed in few steps, so i think that would fall under the category of quickness. thanks man, im gonna look up all those workouts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: