Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
martinas23
Serious playground baller

Default Laser Eye Surgery

I want to do it but I'm still concerned about it. If any of you had it can you share your experience with it and has your vision got worse and etc.
martinas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinas23
I want to do it but I'm still concerned about it. If any of you had it can you share your experience with it and has your vision got worse and etc.

Well, the first thing you need to find out is what type of surgery you're gonna have done. There are several kinds..

One kind, they shave the cornea. I believe this is the "lasik(sp?)" version of the surgery, but I'm no doctor. If you have this done, you can have the surgery again, depending on the thickness of your cornea. I have heard of cases where the cornea is thick enough that you can have it done 3 times. It is possible there are people who can have it done more. Why would you need it done more than once? Just in case your eyes went bad over time again.

The second kind, they lengthen or shorten the muscles in the eye. I know almost nothing about this type or the third type.

The third type is where they actually cut open your eye and insert a lense. This seems to me to be an uncomfortable situation, but I've never had it done.

As far as personal experience, I know at least 6 people that I can think of off the top of my head that have had lasik done.

One guy was an old vendor I had when I used to work retail. 2 guys I know are tinners. My cousin had it done, and her husband had it done before her. My father's new wife had it done.

In all of those cases, they were very happy with the results. The only thing I could say that you might consider "bad", is that in the Vendor's case, he was told that after the surgery there was a chance that he would see "halos" around lights. Something similar to night blindness. But he had the surgery done before the other 5 I mentioned, so it's possible that is no longer the case.

The other thing is in my father's wife's case, they were able to correct only her far sight, and not her near sight, so she still needs reading glasses.

All in all it seems to be a safe procedure. My father's had glasses all his life, and he is terrified of it because he doesn't want to go blind if something goes wrong, but I have NEVER heard of this happening. He just says it isn't worth the risk for him.

I myself intend to have lasik done in the future, particularly if it is covered by my vision insurance which is very possible. I know that in my cousin's case and her husband's, they were covered under insurance.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

I got PRK surgery last December and it's one of the best decisions I've taken.
You should start by going to a doctor to check your vision. Then you must wait at least a year to see if it remains constant.
As for the operation types, each one has it advantages and disadvantages, but your doctor will tell you better than me... specially considering my knowledge of English vocabulary regarding this sucks
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

I have a friend who had it done, and she swears it changed her life. It was relatively simple out patient. She took two days off. She went to a really good doctor, the same guy who invented the procedure, and he's done a bunch of athletes. I know Bernie Williams shilled for him for a while after he did Bernie's eyes. It was expensive. More expensive than most places. Like 2500 an eye, while now I think you can find places that'll do 1000 an eye. But I'm not sure I would want to bargain hunt on eye surgery. She was living in Manhattan at the time, and making a lot of money. So it was a logical place to go.
She says getting up and being able to see clearly as soon as she opens her eyes is amazing.

I have really good eyes, but I've notices them changing as I've gotten older, and would be more than willing to do it if needed. I offered to get it for my father, but he's a little freaked out by it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

get it done, i know a handful of people who have done it and found it really worthwhile.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

My Mom, uncle and cousin have gotten it. They say they love it. I plan on getting it in a few years when my eyes completely stop changing. But they say its so much better. The ability to see clearly as soon as they wake up. Never fiddling with contacts or glasses again. The one thing my mom told me was her eyes get dry. Not as bad as when it 1st started, but it still does from time to time. So if you have naturally dry eyes, you may have som discomfort
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
DCL
NBA lottery pick

the technology's been around, but not really.... i mean, we haven't really seen a kid have the surgery and then know for sure how or what other effects came along later on once he got old. so i think we're still sorta in the "guinea pig" stage. it might save 20 seconds out of your morning though.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
the technology's been around, but not really.... i mean, we haven't really seen a kid have the surgery and then know for sure how or what other effects came along later on once he got old. so i think we're still sorta in the "guinea pig" stage. it might save 20 seconds out of your morning though.

They won't do a kid. There's no point in having your eyes corrected while they're still developing. You have to post a fairly consistent eye chart over a number of years just to qualify for the surgery sometimes, depending on the doctor and which surgery you're doing.

Mathius
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
DCL
NBA lottery pick

sounds fair. but what about a young guy in his 20s though? technology hasn't been around long enough to know how his eyes might change when he's 70 or whatever, right? anyway, not saying nor telling anyone to not do it, but if it were me personally, i think i could live without it.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
sounds fair. but what about a young guy in his 20s though? technology hasn't been around long enough to know how his eyes might change when he's 70 or whatever, right? anyway, not saying nor telling anyone to not do it, but if it were me personally, i think i could live without it.

It's up to the doctor in question. I've been looking into it since I was 16, and the surgery was still not mainstream then. It's getting there now. I even dated a chick whose brother's girlfriend did the surgery and asked her questions about it.

They almost universally will not perform the surgery on you if they don't believe your eyes are done developing, which is why they check to see if you have consistent results on your eye exams.

The theory is if your eye prescription is the same for 5 years or so, your eyes aren't changing, so you're cool.

Mathius
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
deion2123
High school junior varsity star

got it done for $3000..I had 20/200 and now am at 20/15....it will give you dry eyes for a while and will take about 6 months to go completely back to normal
deion2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
mhg88
Local High School Star

I had a botched arm surgery with nerve damage in addition to a couple other incidents with doctors. Contacts for life. Something like vision aint something I'm gonna f*ck with.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
ukplayer4
NBA rookie of the year

i really want to get it done- i have terrible eye sight but i just cannot bring myself to as it is the eyes after all, if it was anything else i would risk it but its my eyes. like mathius ive been regularly checking up on what the developments are in this field but as yet i dont think anyone is offering 100% guarantees. and after all, thinking about the procedure makes me feel i will never go through with it- THEY CUT YOUR DAMN EYE OPEN AND LIFT UP A FLAP, THEN LAZER STUFF AWAY!
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
i really want to get it done- i have terrible eye sight but i just cannot bring myself to as it is the eyes after all, if it was anything else i would risk it but its my eyes. like mathius ive been regularly checking up on what the developments are in this field but as yet i dont think anyone is offering 100% guarantees. and after all, thinking about the procedure makes me feel i will never go through with it- THEY CUT YOUR DAMN EYE OPEN AND LIFT UP A FLAP, THEN LAZER STUFF AWAY!

And? You've never had surgery before? Sometimes they cut open your head to cut off a tumor on your brain. There's a lot of people on ISH afflicted by it.

Mathius
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
I got PRK surgery last December and it's one of the best decisions I've taken.
You should start by going to a doctor to check your vision. Then you must wait at least a year to see if it remains constant.
As for the operation types, each one has it advantages and disadvantages, but your doctor will tell you better than me... specially considering my knowledge of English vocabulary regarding this sucks

Is prk much safer than Lasik?
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: