Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: how much miles do you guys run

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Running eight miles is not going to destroy your basketball ability.

You don't come in here talking a technical tale about "fast twitch muscles", and then compare running eight miles to the olympics.

You can twist around it like the little contortionist ****** you are, but that is what you did. And it holds no ground whatsoever.

Since you appear uneducated, and quite the hot head maybe I can help you learn so you can better prepare yourself for the game of basketball. As a 6'3 guard, and I wish I had your height because I would be much more effective playing in mixed open leagues, you seem to have issues getting smoked by the shorter, quicker guards.

Let's start with this quote:

"To successfully prepare the team for the season, you must investigate and appreciate the conditioning demands of basketball. Does basketball require a great deal of low intensity distance running? Or, is basketball a series of high intensity short sprints that require numerous changes of direction? Remember, a basketball court is only approximately 30 yards in length. Also important to consider is the fact that slower teams usually lose. The focus of the training should be on speed, agility and anaerobic conditioning. "

So if I may once again emphasize that long distance running is not the most potent way to train the cardio aspect of your fitness FOR BASKETBALL.

There is no merit in having endurance on the court for 40 minutes if you're not quick/explosive enough to do anything great in between.

Substituting this over 8 miles of running is better:

Shuttle Sprints with rest:
    STAGE 1
    120 yards 20 seconds // rest for 50 seconds then repeat (3 sets)
    STAGE 2
    210 yards 35 seconds // rest for 1.25 minutes then repeat (3 sets)
    STAGE 3
    300 yards 55 seconds // rest for 2 minutes then repeat (3 sets)

Suicides: These can go cumulatively as your fitness goes up. I would start with 2 consecutives per day for a week, then add 3 consecutive to the next week, then 2 sets of 2 consecutives per day for the next, and so on.

Agility training: Sometimes footwork is more important in getting somewhere fast than just being "fast". Get yourself an agility ladder.

Now mix in this kind of sprinting exercises with some plyometrics and weight training and you should be in good shape.

I also recommend dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching. If you don't know what I'm talking about I can post more details later.

Don't forget to get in a good warmup before performing these. I usually do some shooting drills, maybe go play a game of pickup ball, or jog 1-2 miles as warmup, followed by 10-15 min of dynamic stretching. Sprints and conditioning usually comes at the end of workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    Since you appear uneducated, and quite the hot head maybe I can help you learn so you can better prepare yourself for the game of basketball. As a 6'3 guard, and I wish I had your height because I would be much more effective playing in mixed open leagues, you seem to have issues getting smoked by the shorter, quicker guards.

Let's start with this quote:

"To successfully prepare the team for the season, you must investigate and appreciate the conditioning demands of basketball. Does basketball require a great deal of low intensity distance running? Or, is basketball a series of high intensity short sprints that require numerous changes of direction? Remember, a basketball court is only approximately 30 yards in length. Also important to consider is the fact that slower teams usually lose. The focus of the training should be on speed, agility and anaerobic conditioning. "
    Never have I posted that running 8 miles is the most effective or efficient way to train for basketball.

The OP asked "how many miles do you run", and I responded.

Not being the most efficient way to train is something completely different than being detriment too though. Doing cardio work is still beneficial for playing basketball.

See, I responded to your post, going into the subject you posted about. Even if the words weren't yours.

Now please respond to me, and elaborate on your Olympic track athletes+fast/slow twitch muscles+running 8 miles theory.

Please?

Never have I posted that running 8 miles is the most effective or efficient way to train for basketball.

The OP asked "how many miles do you run", and I responded.

Not being the most efficient way to train is something completely different than being detriment too though. Doing cardio work is still beneficial for playing basketball.

See, I responded to your post, going into the subject you posted about. Even if the words weren't yours.

Now please respond to me, and elaborate on your Olympic track athletes+fast/slow twitch muscles+running 8 miles theory.

Please?
    I guess I forgot you lack the intelligence to take comments with a grain of salt, sorry I forgot I was posting to someone of your stature
    My advice may be of no use for you, as you might not properly grasp the concepts, or grasp them at all, shrug.

You can't even understand simple posts, because none of your replies are relevant to anything posted

Talking about biology and training with your guise of knowledge that's thinner than rice paper. Furthermore evidenced by the fact that everything with insight that you posted was quoted out of an article. Seriously, it's good that you are interested in these things, but you don't need to throw on a little charade on the internet as if you are an expert.

"Uh, you know you can't train fast twitch and slow twitch muscles at the same time, you know, like at the Olympics"
    "How is that relevant?"
    *crickets*

"I not needs to show that I know what the hell I am talking about. Uh, you have no IQ, uhuh. *makes same joke three times in a row*

Wow. No, that was really clever.
    Child. You humor me.

You can't even understand simple posts, because none of your replies are relevant to anything posted

Talking about biology and training with your guise of knowledge that's thinner than rice paper. Furthermore evidenced by the fact that everything with insight that you posted was quoted out of an article. Seriously, it's good that you are interested in these things, but you don't need to throw on a little charade on the internet as if you are an expert.

"Uh, you know you can't train fast twitch and slow twitch muscles at the same time, you know, like at the Olympics"
    "How is that relevant?"
    *crickets*

"I not needs to show that I know what the hell I am talking about. Uh, you have no IQ, uhuh. *makes same joke three times in a row*

Wow. No, that was really clever.
    Child. You humor me.
    Once again you rant about this olympic thing, you still cannot comprehend an anology versus a literal term.

I only run 2 miles a day.

ok so i havent learned anything from all these posts in this thread?

i want endurance but i also want to be explosive/jump high for basketball, so i do these sprints and hill sprints and ladders and squats and all those exercises, but once a week i run 2-3 miles, could i run more long distances or will that interfere with fast twitch muscles or whatever helps you be explosive?

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    ok so i havent learned anything from all these posts in this thread?

i want endurance but i also want to be explosive/jump high for basketball, so i do these sprints and hill sprints and ladders and squats and all those exercises, but once a week i run 2-3 miles, could i run more long distances or will that interfere with fast twitch muscles or whatever helps you be explosive?
    dawg you;ll still be good, 2 miles aint that long that at all, do the mile fast as u can

Saw a basketball once

I don't run miles. Just sprints.