Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Greg Popovich Agrees That NBA Champions Are Not The "World Champions"

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    False. That's only true in the United States, not in any other country.
    If you were to ask every professional basketball player which championship they would want if they can only have one, I'm willing to bet 99% would say the NBA Finals championship.

Banned

Default Re: Greg Popovich Agrees That NBA Champions Are Not The "World Champions"

Yet, they only played against teams from USA and Canada. Since when did the USA/Canada = "the world"?
    I'm not gonna read anymore of this thread than I have to, I'll stop at this.

Sure, the teams that play in the NBA are situated in Canada and the USA, but that does not make them American or Canadian teams. There are lots of international players in the NBA, and, if it wasn't the best league in the world, why do all players of the globe strive to play in it? It consists of the best players in the world, hence World Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    If you were to ask every professional basketball player which championship they would want if they can only have one, I'm willing to bet 99% would say the NBA Finals championship.
    False. You are talking about AMERICAN players only.

Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    I'm not gonna read anymore of this thread than I have to, I'll stop at this.

Sure, the teams that play in the NBA are situated in Canada and the USA, but that does not make them American or Canadian teams. There are lots of international players in the NBA, and, if it wasn't the best league in the world, why do all players of the globe strive to play in it? It consists of the best players in the world, hence World Champions.
    The Euroleague has hundreds of players from all over the world in it. In fact, it has players in it from many more different countries than the NBA has. So then I guess it can claim to be the "world championship" also then.

Hell, most of the European domestic leagues do as well.

Your argument is totally invalid and wrong.

Just because you have foreign players in your league, does not mean you are a "world" league. There is absolutely NOTHING unusual or particular about the NBA having lots of foreign players in it. So does the Italian league, Greek League, Spanish League, Eurocup, Euroleague, etc. So, using your logic, those are also all "world" leagues also.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 01-08-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Banned

The Euroleague has hundreds of players from all over the world in it. In fact, it has players in it from many more different countries than the NBA has. So then I guess it can claim to be the "world championship" also then.

Hell, most of the European domestic leagues do as well.

Your argument is totally invalid and wrong.

Just because you have foreign players in your league, does not mean you are a "world" league. There is absolutely NOTHING unusual or particular about the NBA having lots of foreign players in it. So does the Italian league, Greek League, Spanish League, Eurocup, Euroleague, etc. So, using your logic, those are also all "world" leagues also.
    Did I say anything about quantity? No. I mentioned quality. The BEST players, from around the world, play in the NBA. Sure, some countries haven't produced players good enough to be in the NBA, but a fair few have. I'm not arguing that the NBA has more foreign-born players in it than the EuroLeague, which isn't possible due to the size and span of the EuroLeague. I'm arguing that the best foreign-born players are in the NBA, making the NBA Champions de facto World Champions (aside from when countries play each other in the World Championships or the Olympics).

I agree. The NBA has the best players but the rules at times make this league look like a joke. There is a reason NBA players can go over to Europe and look like trash. It's because they don't let stars get 20 free throws a game. You have to be a baller.

A average NBA in the olympics would get owned. That's why the USA sends a super team to play in FIBA olympic games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I agree. The NBA has the best players but the rules at times make this league look like a joke. There is a reason NBA players can go over to Europe and look like trash. It's because they don't let stars get 20 free throws a game. You have to be a baller.

A average NBA in the olympics would get owned. That's why the USA sends a super team to play in FIBA olympic games.
    Agreed with this. The amount of travels in one game, heck in one quarter, is insane. It allows players to not work as hard or focus on fundamental footwork as much.

Saw a basketball once

I like america, but this thread shows once again that there are a lot of dumb, ignorant, narrow minded americans. Oh yeah, and these ones are full of themselves (americans) too.
    Its not like I give a **** about the Mavs calling themselves World Champions, but its true, its not right to call them the WC. And as a german growing up with Dirk I'm a Mavs fan.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Players the Mavericks beat that were on the 2008/2012 USA national teams:

Kobe
    Lebron
    Wade
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Bosh
    Lamar Odom

And I'll add Pau Gasol for shits and giggles.

Yeah, we da world champs bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Players the Mavericks beat that were on the 2008/2012 USA national teams:

Kobe
    Lebron
    Wade
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Bosh
    Lamar Odom

And I'll add Pau Gasol for shits and giggles.

Yeah, we da world champs bitch.
    The Mavs are the USA/Canada champs.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

The Mavs are the USA/Canada champs.
    So? The Mavericks are the 2011 NBA champions.

You seem like an idiot that just wants to argue. Find a mirror. It will save you some time from having to find other idiots on a message board to argue with.

I havnt read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been addressed, but how many times has the nba champ played the european champion?

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the Euroleague.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I havnt read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been addressed, but how many times has the nba champ played the european champion?
    They played 3 times, but only 2 times since FIBA was not involved.

In what is current Euroleague (not associated to FIBA) they played twice.

1 game was with NBA rules and NBA refs, played in USA, on the NBA team's home court.

1 game in FIBA (not modern era Euroleague, which FIBA does not relate to) with NBA refs and with mixed rules of 50/50 NBA/FIBA rules, played in Europe, on a neutral court.

1 game with 60/40 NBA/FIBA rules and 2/1 NBA/FIBA refs, played in Europe, on a neutral court that was in the European club's home city.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 01-09-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    This thread is about the NBA champions being called world champions.

This is an NBA thread, PERIOD.