Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default How old do you think you can carry on playing basketball til?

Been thinking about this, it's been my number 1 sport for the last 18 years, but as a guard and getting slower and less explosive, I've been thinking about how long I got left before I become totally rubbish....well to the level where you're like so annoyed with what you use to be able to do and what you can't do at all.

I've noticed I can't drive as well; can't shoot as well at the end of games as legs have gone; lateral quickness disappearing - very annoying as people I use to lock up 2-3 years ago are just walking by me now, I have to body check them rather than just play D.

At what age did you realise it's time to hang it up?

Back to Business

Default Re: How old do you think you can carry on playing basketball til?

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Been thinking about this, it's been my number 1 sport for the last 18 years, but as a guard and getting slower and less explosive, I've been thinking about how long I got left before I become totally rubbish....well to the level where you're like so annoyed with what you use to be able to do and what you can't do at all.

I've noticed I can't drive as well; can't shoot as well at the end of games as legs have gone; lateral quickness disappearing - very annoying as people I use to lock up 2-3 years ago are just walking by me now, I have to body check them rather than just play D.

At what age did you realise it's time to hang it up?

are u serious??? if obama can still play im sure u can homie.....ive played againts guys nearly twice my age...im 25...yes the quickness leaves...but the older u get the better your jumper should get and u should have a higher bball iq.....meaning....knowing how to set screens and getting yoself open without having the ball...i think u can play forever.....its not football.lol

Serious playground baller

How old are you? You just have to take care of yourself. I think I remember Kobe saying his dad still plays today.

I'm older and can't jump as high and I don't move quite as quick but I still do ok

as long as you have a tight handle, a good jumpshot and a good understanding of the game, then you can play pretty much until you physically are unable to run up and down a basketball court. Sure you may not be able to dunk and block many shots, but overall physical fitness is more than that. If you take care of your body earlier in your playing days you will be able to play a long time. I've played against guys in their 50s and they have all said the same thing: take care of your body.

probably phrased question wrong. In that physically, of course you can carry on playing until you're 50. What I was trying to get at was the drop off in physical ability, so much so you start not to enjoy the game as much.

Just standing around and getting to a spot for a jump shot isn't fun for me. I get more enjoyment out of beating my man off the dribble and going in for a drive. Which isn't happening too often these days, and when I do get there, I'm getting my shot blocked or throwing an ugly shot off the rim/backboard because I am coming down to earth too quickly.

To be fair, my passing game has improved now that I don't try to score so much. Always could pass but didn't want to, now I find I can impact a game more by passing. And I am enjoying getting assists but I just miss being able to knife through and score whenever I wanted to...

Anyone packed it in because of that?

like 3 years ago

Back to Business

probably phrased question wrong. In that physically, of course you can carry on playing until you're 50. What I was trying to get at was the drop off in physical ability, so much so you start not to enjoy the game as much.

Just standing around and getting to a spot for a jump shot isn't fun for me. I get more enjoyment out of beating my man off the dribble and going in for a drive. Which isn't happening too often these days, and when I do get there, I'm getting my shot blocked or throwing an ugly shot off the rim/backboard because I am coming down to earth too quickly.

To be fair, my passing game has improved now that I don't try to score so much. Always could pass but didn't want to, now I find I can impact a game more by passing. And I am enjoying getting assists but I just miss being able to knife through and score whenever I wanted to...

karmas a bitch!! " always could pass but didnt want" lol now look at u...u got no choice but to pass the damn rock cuz ya ass too slow.lmao...mane look u making a big deal out of nothing....u think kobe,mj etc gone be able to play at they mvp level at an older age???what make u so special...its just life...learn how to adapt your game...get a post game.....become a greaT spot up shooter...the game is all about gettin BUCKETS....no matter how u get them...just get BUCKETS. stop actin like the best to ever play the game or summin....ADAPT YOUR GAME.

NBA Superstar

I'd be curious to know your age.

I've been thinking about the end of my athletic prime for most of the last 10 years. I'm 28 now, but when I graduated high school, I kind of thought I'd be heading athletically down hill right then. Of course, I soon realized I actually hadn't yet reached my athletic peak.

Now, assuming I've peaked, I'm kind of wondering how things are going to go from here. Like, when's it going to start heading downward and how? I was jumping as high as ever this past summer, but I think I was dunking in games a little less than I used to. I'm wondering if that's a reflection of my endurance slacking due to age or because I didn't train as hard.

I've been fearing not being able to dunk or chasedown block folk for a long time. Thankfully, I think knowing my time was limited in being able to do things like that, I did not take them for granted. I enjoyed my athletic prime. And to be clear, my basketball skills go well beyond dunking, blocking, and general athleticism, but there's no denying that athleticism enhances most of those on-court abilities.

If it helps at all, one of my friends just turned 40 and he's still an elite, minor league level player. He works very hard to maintain his shape and abilities though. He's around 6'0'' and used to be a fringe dunker. I recall him trying to dunk (and often succeeding) during our practices in the late 90's (he was an assistant coach). He doesn't try to dunk anymore, but he still seems pretty darn athletic and whatnot. Practicing with his minor league team, he says the biggest difference between him now and younger him is his defensive stamina. He can still operate in every other facet, but he said it was tough keeping the young guards in front of him.

I think aging past prime is a tough transition for any athlete who prides themselves in their abilities. I also like to think it's something many struggle with for a while, but then slowly embrace over time. I'm guessing the initial drop is the worst, the "I thought I was going to dunk that but now my body will not let me and now everyone feels bad for the guy who hasn't realized what he can't do anymore" phase. I figure it comes down to coming to terms with who your older self becomes as a basketball player. Embrace it.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Are you serious you play until you can't play anymore.

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Are you serious you play until you can't play anymore.

It might be tomorrow, next week or 40 years from now. Only you will know, it's your body.
    I felt like he was talking about whether one's drop in their own ability due to age ever becomes too stark and depressing to carry on playing. Even then, I think many, many ballplayers continue on, just as you mentioned, but I see where he's coming from. I imagine it's a heck of a shot to the ego to no longer be able to do things on the court you knew you once never had to think twice about; to not be able to outrun or outjump people you used to be able to dominate at half speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I felt like he was talking about whether one's drop in their own ability due to age ever becomes too stark and depressing to carry on playing. Even then, I think many, many ballplayers continue on, just as you mentioned, but I see where he's coming from. I imagine it's a heck of a shot to the ego to no longer be able to do things on the court you knew you once never had to think twice about; to not be able to outrun or outjump people you used to be able to dominate at half speed.
    I remember a few years back, someone posted about Chris Gatling. He was long gone from the league,but was still killing at the local YMCA a poster attended.

So your skill might deteriorate where you can't do the same to young bucks coming into the league, but random joe's, they can ball them up probably to age 60 if they stay active.

Can't see the future but I'd love to still play in my 60's. I want to be one of those old dudes at the park schooling all the kids with passing and fundementals.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    I remember a few years back, someone posted about Chris Gatling. He was long gone from the league,but was still killing at the local YMCA a poster attended.

So your skill might deteriorate where you can't do the same to young bucks coming into the league, but random joe's, they can ball them up probably to age 60 if they stay active.
    Yeah, I feel you. Not to be difficult, but Chris Gatling is a listed 6'10'', so there's going to be a lot of things he's always going to be able to do on the floor by default (i.e. have rebounds fall into his hands, be a strong defensive presence in the paint, shoot over most defenders). For the 6'3'' and under crowd though, I feel like a lot of those default things won't always stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    karmas a bitch!! " always could pass but didnt want" lol now look at u...u got no choice but to pass the damn rock cuz ya ass too slow.lmao...mane look u making a big deal out of nothing....u think kobe,mj etc gone be able to play at they mvp level at an older age???what make u so special...its just life...learn how to adapt your game...get a post game.....become a greaT spot up shooter...the game is all about gettin BUCKETS....no matter how u get them...just get BUCKETS. stop actin like the best to ever play the game or summin....ADAPT YOUR GAME.
    yup I'll acknowledge that. But when you're young, most people be jacking up shots, wanting to be like Kobe or MJ.

I've got a post game, but not much point trying to post up people taller than me. Guards typically don't post up forwards, and the post game doesn't really translate to a 5 on 5 game for a guard.

I hate to sound whiney...but the whole point was i don't want to be just a spot up shooter......

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'd be curious to know your age.

I've been thinking about the end of my athletic prime for most of the last 10 years. I'm 28 now, but when I graduated high school, I kind of thought I'd be heading athletically down hill right then. Of course, I soon realized I actually hadn't yet reached my athletic peak.

Now, assuming I've peaked, I'm kind of wondering how things are going to go from here. Like, when's it going to start heading downward and how? I was jumping as high as ever this past summer, but I think I was dunking in games a little less than I used to. I'm wondering if that's a reflection of my endurance slacking due to age or because I didn't train as hard.

I've been fearing not being able to dunk or chasedown block folk for a long time. Thankfully, I think knowing my time was limited in being able to do things like that, I did not take them for granted. I enjoyed my athletic prime. And to be clear, my basketball skills go well beyond dunking, blocking, and general athleticism, but there's no denying that athleticism enhances most of those on-court abilities.

If it helps at all, one of my friends just turned 40 and he's still an elite, minor league level player. He works very hard to maintain his shape and abilities though. He's around 6'0'' and used to be a fringe dunker. I recall him trying to dunk (and often succeeding) during our practices in the late 90's (he was an assistant coach). He doesn't try to dunk anymore, but he still seems pretty darn athletic and whatnot. Practicing with his minor league team, he says the biggest difference between him now and younger him is his defensive stamina. He can still operate in every other facet, but he said it was tough keeping the young guards in front of him.

I think aging past prime is a tough transition for any athlete who prides themselves in their abilities. I also like to think it's something many struggle with for a while, but then slowly embrace over time. I'm guessing the initial drop is the worst, the "I thought I was going to dunk that but now my body will not let me and now everyone feels bad for the guy who hasn't realized what he can't do anymore" phase. I figure it comes down to coming to terms with who your older self becomes as a basketball player. Embrace it.
    I am 34. And the realisation of the drop off was during a fast break with a ball thrown ahead of me, I was slightly ahead of the defender and he sped past me to get the ball back for his team. This was a guy I out raced a few years back consistently, that really depressed me.

I have a right crossover hesitation move that use to be unstoppable, now it's useless.....

Man, at 28 you're still in your peak!!! Enjoy it!

Age 40 and still playing well!! Thats what I wanted to hear!

Going to hit the gym harder to try and keep what little athleticism I have left.