Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Anyone else concerned our D cant take us the whole way?

I really havent been too happy w our D, even the past couple months. Our lack of inside help was exosed for a little while during the 1st half against the nugges. There was a span where they were getting in the paint at will. And if we win this series, DWill is also exceptional at getting to the hole. Anyone else concerned? Our D may be good enough to beat Denver, but as we go furthur, Im not sure how well we can handle better teams. Thoughts?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Anyone else concerned our D cant take us the whole way?

Against Denver and Utah, Don't expect us to suddenly pick it up.

However, Phil does a great job preparing the team defensively against teams like San Antonio and Phoenix (especially phoenix).

So God willing if we get to the 3rd and fourth rounds, don't expect us to play Suns bball the past few years.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Against Denver and Utah, Don't expect us to suddenly pick it up.

However, Phil does a great job preparing the team defensively against teams like San Antonio and Phoenix (especially phoenix).

So God willing if we get to the 3rd and fourth rounds, don't expect us to play Suns bball the past few years.

Thats true, we have ben better defensively against thse type of teams. Im just worried about dribble penetration by the likes of parker and ginobili. Fish cant stay in front of him and if he gets passed, our help D hasnt been where it was prior to Bynum
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Thats true, we have ben better defensively against thse type of teams. Im just worried about dribble penetration by the likes of parker and ginobili. Fish cant stay in front of him and if he gets passed, our help D hasnt been where it was prior to Bynum

Oh dont worry its gonna happen lol.

I can't deny the fact no matter how "on" we are, Parker can still get "his".

Ginobli is someone Kobe can limit. What the lakers need to do is the same thing Gary Payton did a few years back in the second round, and thats having the PG post up tony and give him hell offensively, and that can eventually tire him out the other end when he tries to penetrate.

This is where I look back and say "damn Odom for leaving his foot for Bynum to land softly on" lol.

jk
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Oh dont worry its gonna happen lol.

I can't deny the fact no matter how "on" we are, Parker can still get "his".

Ginobli is someone Kobe can limit. What the lakers need to do is the same thing Gary Payton did a few years back in the second round, and thats having the PG post up tony and give him hell offensively, and that can eventually tire him out the other end when he tries to penetrate.

This is where I look back and say "damn Odom for leaving his foot for Bynum to land softly on" lol.

jk

lol, but hey, If odom hadnt done that, then we have no gasol. Now we have Gasol and Bynum for probably next seaosn
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
lol, but hey, If odom hadnt done that, then we have no gasol. Now we have Gasol and Bynum for probably next seaosn

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Emile
National High School Star

A little bit.
I feel we can hold our own but there definitely are weakness there that I hope don't get exposed.
Like, remember how every weakness of the Lakers in 2004 got exposed by the Pistons who had just our number in everything?
I'm only afraid of facing a team like that and I think only Boston falls under that category.

They're physical, we're not. KG beats out Pau. They're athletic as hell and we lack that at certain positions. Kobe historically has always had troubles with two G/f's of the NBA. Ironically, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Both on the same team.

I think they're the only team that can expose us and make us look really bad because they're such a bad matchup but IDK, thinking that is extremely negative. It's not like it's likely to happen. I just think it could I guess.
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

laker freak makes note of phils adjustments...don't forget in the playoffs there's more time to work between games and focus on one team at a time...phil coaches for the playoffs not the regular season, everything is done with an eye on the playoffs including the defense the lakers use...
with the time between games the staff can watch film and translate it into on the court results, the extra time also means players can expend more energy knowing they don't have another game for a couple days...

the lakers under phil have always picked up the defensive pressure in the playoffs
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

I just wish we could play consistent D every game and not turn it on when we play other better teams. I notice we step up defensively against suns/spurs but look bad against other teams. Its frusrating to watch when I know they are more than capable of playing good team D
Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
I really havent been too happy w our D, even the past couple months. Our lack of inside help was exosed for a little while during the 1st half against the nugges. There was a span where they were getting in the paint at will. And if we win this series, DWill is also exceptional at getting to the hole. Anyone else concerned? Our D may be good enough to beat Denver, but as we go furthur, Im not sure how well we can handle better teams. Thoughts?

I agree entirely.
I dont expect us to win the championship without a healthy and contributing Bynum. Our rotations and team D are very average, imo. That wont cut it against Spurs and Celts.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: