Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who do u think were the 10 most overall talented/gifted players in NBA history?

Remember... i am not talking about career accomplishments here... but strictly the player abilities themselves...

Why? Because you can be the most gifted player to ever lace up a pair of sneakers and not end up with a single championship (or to few) due to the bad blessing of not having the required supporting cast, championship is a team accomplishment afterall (Championships are overrated that way, but thats another subject)...
    Career awards & player ability can be two entirely different subjects and i want to talk about the latter.

Example: A player like Wilt Chamberlain was probably the most overall talented player in NBA history... Bill Russell might have accomplished more than Wilt Chamberlain, but was he really more talented than Wilt? I know what my answer is.... This example works with MANY players...

Who do you think were the 10 most overall talented players to ever touch an NBA basketball?

For me it goes something like this:

1. Wilt Chamberlain
    2. Oscar Robertson
    3. Michael Jordan
    4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    5. Shaquille Oneal
    6. Lebron James
    7. Larry Bird
    8. Hakeem Olajuwon
    9. Magic Johnson
    10. Jerry West
    Last edited by pauk; 09-12-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Default Re: Who do u think were the 10 most overall talented/gifted players in NBA history?

Not a bad list. Barkley needs to find his way onto it though.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Default Re: Who do u think were the 10 most overall talented/gifted players in NBA history?

Chris Webb

Banned

Could you break down for me why you chose Jerry West on your tenth spot instead of say.. T-Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Remember... i am not talking about career accomplishments here... but strictly the player abilities themselves...

Why? Because you can be the most gifted player to ever lace up a pair of sneakers and not end up with a single championship (or to few) due to the bad blessing of not having the required supporting cast, championship is a team accomplishment afterall (Championships are overrated that way, but thats another subject)...
    Career awards & player ability can be two entirely different subjects and i want to talk about the latter.

Example: A player like Wilt Chamberlain was probably the most overall talented player in NBA history... Bill Russell might have accomplished more than Wilt Chamberlain, but was he really more talented than Wilt? I know what my answer is.... This example works with MANY players...

Who do you think were the 10 most overall talented players to ever touch an NBA basketball?

For me it goes something like this:

1. Wilt Chamberlain
    2. Oscar Robertson
    3. Michael Jordan
    4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    5. Shaquille Oneal
    6. Lebron James
    7. Larry Bird
    8. Hakeem Olajuwon
    9. Magic Johnson
    10. Jerry West
    What is talent? Does talent include intangibles like leadership or relentlessness?

1. Sabonis.

You know by not naming Kobe somewhere in there, that this thread was doomed from the start, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    Could you break down for me why you chose Jerry West on your tenth spot instead of say.. T-Mac?
    1. Efficiency
    2. Even better passer
    3. Even better rebounder for his size
    4. Defense
    5. Defense
    6. Defense
    7. Defense
    8. Defense
    9. Defense
    10. Defense

:)

Feel free to add your Top 10, i wont argue, i just think its interesting to see how other people think.

not sure if they're top 10 (most likely not), but I just wanna throw David Thompson and MRR out there

Decent playground baller v1ncelis's Avatar

No Vince Carter no top 10.
    Last edited by v1ncelis; 09-12-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Yao????

Local High School Star

Pretty good list OP. Optional, you can shuffle some players and it's still a good list.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    What is talent? Does talent include intangibles like leadership or relentlessness?
    Intangibles is a mental fortitude in basketball (intensity, heart, competitive spirit, leadership, basketball iq), that indeed is included as a skill/talent but its strictly a mindset... so the priority of the level of intangibles is decieving compared to your actual ability.

You see, intellectual function of yours mean nothing if you dont have the tools/ability to generate what your mind thinks, so your actual ability to produce is a higher priority... the intangibles come by themselves when you have those tools, especially if those tools (talent/skill) is at an all-time great level.

Like Salvador Dali once said:

"Mental thought without device & action is like a bird without wings"

We are down by 2 and there is 2 seconds left, i have to stay focused and step up, i am open and i have to take the shot and make the shot (intangibles, mental fortitude)....
    now its up to my shooting ability to do the rest ...

See what i mean?
    Last edited by pauk; 09-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.

I'm going to name the ten most talented I've seen, at their positions.

In no particular order:

PG: Magic, Isiah
    SG: Jordan, Tmac( Kobe is better than Tmac obviously, but I feel Tmac was more naturally gifted. Kobe obviously is incredibly talented, but alot of his skill seems to come more from countless hours of gymwork).
    Sf: Bird, Lebron
    PF: Barkley, Garnett
    C: Hakeem, Shaq

I base that strictly on raw god given talent and ability