Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #31
fiddy
HC4L
 
fiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 6,564
fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
kevin love is going to be an ok NBA player, his shortcomings will be exposed when he reaches the NBA though...just look to his performances against bigger players in the past..in the NBA he'll be a power forward and guys like odom will eat him for lunch
Agreed. I have watched couple of his games, nothing special IMO>
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #32
OliverThizz
I airball my layups
 
OliverThizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Inglewood
Posts: 92
OliverThizz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

This entire thread is obviously a UCLA fans attempt to build support for the idea of having a player from his favorite college team play for his favorite NBA team. Kevin Love will be no different than say Nick Collison when he gets to the NBA. The idea of trading Odom, who is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, for the CHANCE to TRY and draft Kevin Love, is flat out absurd. And that's without mentioning that Kevin Love will probably be hard pressed to put up the numbers that LO has put up for his career. LO is playing the best basketball of his career and you are suggesting trading him for the OPPORTUNITY to TRY to draft an unproven college player who will be a role player at the NBA level? Look, I am an avid Duke fan but I know suggesting that we trade LO for the chance to draft, say Demarcus Nelson, is beyond idiotic. LO will continue to average a double double, even as a 4th option when Bynum comes back, and he his happy to play his role, and you want to trade him? And for the CHANCE to pick Kevin Love? I would love to see Kevin Love try to grab a defensive rebound and handle the ball down the court on the break and either finish or find the open man, the way Odom does. And having both Odom and Ariza is a LUXURY. We need to appreciate that.
OliverThizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #33
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince
 
MJ(Mean John)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lakeshow
Posts: 4,412
MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Did you see the recent Mavs game? That was the last big team we played. Odom played ok until the 4th quarter, when he did everything he possibly could to hand the game to Dallas including missing 2 freethrows that would have sealed the win and letting dirk get the wideopen game tying 3. That was pressure and that's just in the regular season! The playoffs against the Suns, there wasn't really that much pressure on him because the Lakers weren't expected to win. But when he feels pressure, he chokes, chokes like Jenna Jameson. I don't think Love will be better than Odom. But what he is is a guy perfect for our system. We would do well to pick him up, and the only guy on our team who I think would be worth parting with would be Odom.

You tell the most about a player not how he plays when times are good, but how he plays when times are bad. Odom has proven time and time again that you can't depend on him in the hard times, and he is even a liability



homer.
dude I'm sorry but you gotta be kidding.
lamar odom fits in well in our system. He is doing just fine.
When we need rebounding, he rebounds, playmaking? he gets assists, defends, you name it. Kevin love looks alright. great?
I dont think so.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #34
Bruinlove
Banned
 
Bruinlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 1,653
Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
normally i try to compose well thought out, crafted posts that would seem to come from an intellegent, objective fan of the game. this however, will not be such a post. are you f*cking stupid? do you watch laker games? did you just start this season? lamar odom is an amazing talent and brings so many things to the laker team that i'm personally insulted by this post, i'mnot even going to make points, just shut up. i'm glad you read bill simmons or saw on espn that lamar is a choke job, i'm glad that you think we can trade odom and get some draft pick that will get us 8 more rings, i'm not glad however that i have to call myself a laker fan and be in the same company as you hacks that talk about trading such a rare player. a draft pick? what? stupid stupid stupid stupid robots with no understanding of 5 on 5 basketball. just stick to riding kobe's jock and talking about 'how great that play was" when he gambles for a steal and gets a breakaway dunk. trading odom is a busch league call.

15-10-5-1-1, one of the best passing and ball handling forwards in the nba, the best rebounder on the team, one of the personalities that has allowed the lakers to become who they are as a team. one of the best true 5 on 5 guys in the league. one of the most unselfish "stars" in the league, on a team with kobe bryant (how much sense can i make?). i'm so sick of listening to people say he's "inconsistent"- he's consistently good every night he brings so much to the game, he's the big intangible, the goods, he's not a huge scoring threat, he picks his spots. is he perfect? no. his free throws have been a joke lately, his jumper was shakey all season until recently, he gets lost out on the perimeter sometimes where he shouldn't be, he complains about calls (we have the most whiney team in the league, i'm going to smack sasha if i see him), he's not a guy you really count on to make shots in the clutch. I just don't know why it is always his name that comes up in this conversation or what player you think we're going to bring in that would possibly be an improvement on him, but i know that you're wrong and if they trade him you'll understand why.

Get his balls out of your mouth. I've watched the Lakers my entire life, including last season and the season before. Unlike alot of people here it seems, I remember the Lamar Odom of his past two seasons as well as this one. Though Odom is inconsistent on the court with his erratic play, one thing that has been a constant throughout his LA career is boneheadedness. And his failure under pressure. He played well on the clippers because there are no expectations on you when you're a Clipper. Same as on the heat, his team had no expectations for him, as they were young and he was a dude just coming back from drug suspension. Those were the best seasons of his career. Then he came to the Lakers.

The Lakers are the marquee club of the NBA. They have a history of greatness. Odom was brought in to be Kobe's "Pippen"

The eyes of the entire city were on him, and what did we wind up getting? Well, I don't want to rag on the guy because he did lose a kid and everything, but he is an underachiever. He has the talent, but not the mentality to be great. Yes people say he still has tons of potential, but you can say the same about Kwame Brown. It was as little as 1 and a half months ago that people were calling for him to be traded out of town.

Now suddenly Gasol comes and he has no expectation to be the second scoring option. Again, he has no pressure and he is playing well.

But on a team like the Los Angeles Lakers, a title contender, you can't just expect to get by without feeling pressure, and when Odom feels the slightest hint of that, he chokes like Jenna Jameson. Now I wouldn't mind him on my team, and I know that his contract probably won't work to get Love, but we should trade him for someone else then. Actually maybe an ideal solution would to just be not play him late in the 4th when it matters, and put in Ariza or Radmonovic.

Yes Odom is good with no pressure on but I wouldn't trust him to start a crucial playoff game. He will simply disapear.

Personally, I think a guy like Ron Artest would be good for our team, as he can neutralize LBJ on defense, but I know that will prove unpopular amongst you guys. But I'd much rather trade Odom than have to rely on him when it matters. He's the best 4th option in the league, but he's too erratic and chokish to rely on when it matters.

Bottom line: All the guys seem to have a championship mentality, they all seem to be fighting for the same thing. Odom is the one guy to me who doesn't fit that label on our team, and doesn't share that mindset.
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #35
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,938
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Bruinlove,

the three times odom has ever been to the playoffs he play amazingly and when he stepped up, everyone else around him played better.

I was one of the people who wanted to trade odom this season for 2 reasons: he didnt play with heart, and he wasn't doing anything on the offensive end including making others better.

Odom is a player that makes the most of open opportunities, so when Bynum comes back into the lineup with Gasol, expect Odom to do even better.

Gasol has made the game much easier for odom and because of Gasol's presence, Odom moves without the ball with perfection and makes almost all his inside shots now.

You would think his rebounding would go down from Gasol but he's actually getting better at hustling for the rebounds.

Kevin love is a nice player but I would never risk trading a player that gets you stats in every category especially for a player with only college experience.
I can understand your love for Kevin Love being a huge UCLA fan because Im a huge fan too....I even got to listen to today's game when they beat the bears, had a great second half.

But since we are a win now too, our only projects are Bynum, and Coby Karl.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #36
alexthegod
Local High School Star
 
alexthegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,349
alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Did you see the recent Mavs game? That was the last big team we played. Odom played ok until the 4th quarter, when he did everything he possibly could to hand the game to Dallas including missing 2 freethrows that would have sealed the win and letting dirk get the wideopen game tying 3. That was pressure and that's just in the regular season! The playoffs against the Suns, there wasn't really that much pressure on him because the Lakers weren't expected to win. But when he feels pressure, he chokes, chokes like Jenna Jameson. I don't think Love will be better than Odom. But what he is is a guy perfect for our system. We would do well to pick him up, and the only guy on our team who I think would be worth parting with would be Odom.

You tell the most about a player not how he plays when times are good, but how he plays when times are bad. Odom has proven time and time again that you can't depend on him in the hard times, and he is even a liability

Dude, you have some serious hate for Odom and nothing we say is going to convince you otherwise. No player is perfect, you can point out mistakes with every player in the history of basketball has made game in and game out, yet in the end if your doing more good things than bad, your doing you job. And why can't you understand the difference between him being a #2 option and a #3 options?

As a #2 option he was frustrating on the offensese end because he could not consistantly score and create his own shot. He still played good defense and has been the best/most consistant rebounder this team has had for the past 3 seasons. But as a #3 option he doesn't have to score consistanly to impact the game. As a #3 he's getting higher quality shots and its showing.

As far as the DAL game, Odom did not play ok, he played very well for 3 qtrs then Dirk went off. Dirk could not score for 3 qtrs. You can't fault Odom when a player of Dirks ability gets red hot. Just like you can't fault anyone trying to guard Kobe when he goes off.

How can you blame Odom for Dirks open 3 when he got double picked? That is the fault of his team mates for not helping on D.

Yes he missed two crucial FTs, but guess what...he's an average FT shooter and he's was in the middle of a FT slump. Still I'll give you this point. In the end yes he missed 2 crucial FT's. But he will make them more times than he will miss them on average.

How can you say that he has not been dependable in hard times? He's been the most consistant rebounder on the team for 3 years. He's played solid consistant defense for 3 years. I'll give you that he hasn't been a consistant scorer, but that hardly makes him a liability.

The only thing I can agree with you is that he has not been a good clutch offensive player when he is the #2 option in his Laker career. Ever since he has been the #3 option, he's been brilliant. Even you have to admit that.

And your boy Love? I went to the pac 10 tourny today at staples and got a chance to see him first hand. Dude is not athletic enough to defend at the NBA level. He doesn't have the quickness, athleticism, hops or size to compete at the NBA level defensively at the 4 spot. He will get eaten alive by NBA 4's. He'll have to be like Walton and rely on his savy to get by. Unless that guy can be an offensive machine, I don't see how he can ever become a starter at the NBA level. He could be a solid backup, but he will be a defensive liabilty always. Mabye a Brian Cook type.

I'm sure I've wasted my breathe, but man it frustrates me to no end the bashing that Odom has taken. Can you not see the value Odom gives to this team rebounding, defending, ball handling and passing? Thats always a constant with him. And don't forget he can play the 3, 4, and, 5 spots.

I can't reason reason with you if you honestly believe that Trading Odom for Love makes this team better.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #37
alexthegod
Local High School Star
 
alexthegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,349
alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Bruinlove,

Do me this favor, put your Odom hate down for the rest of the seaons and playoffs and give Odom a chance to shine in the role of a #3 option.

I will be the first to admit if I am wrong, but I'm telling you that Odom is finally in role he was designed for and that is as a #3 option I'll aslo add that it will not be his fault if the Lakers cannot win the championship this season.

If I am wrong, I will be the first to post that I am an idiot and that you were right. You can post a 1,000 messages about me being an idiot and I will support you. I'll even put up whatever avitar you want me to have for the enitre offseason.

Lets get back to supporting OUR team, the Lakers. We have a great, fun, energenitc team to root for. Lets enjoy it!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #38
Bruinlove
Banned
 
Bruinlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 1,653
Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Dude, you have some serious hate for Odom and nothing we say is going to convince you otherwise. No player is perfect, you can point out mistakes with every player in the history of basketball has made game in and game out, yet in the end if your doing more good things than bad, your doing you job. And why can't you understand the difference between him being a #2 option and a #3 options?

As a #2 option he was frustrating on the offensese end because he could not consistantly score and create his own shot. He still played good defense and has been the best/most consistant rebounder this team has had for the past 3 seasons. But as a #3 option he doesn't have to score consistanly to impact the game. As a #3 he's getting higher quality shots and its showing.

As far as the DAL game, Odom did not play ok, he played very well for 3 qtrs then Dirk went off. Dirk could not score for 3 qtrs. You can't fault Odom when a player of Dirks ability gets red hot. Just like you can't fault anyone trying to guard Kobe when he goes off.

How can you blame Odom for Dirks open 3 when he got double picked? That is the fault of his team mates for not helping on D.

Yes he missed two crucial FTs, but guess what...he's an average FT shooter and he's was in the middle of a FT slump. Still I'll give you this point. In the end yes he missed 2 crucial FT's. But he will make them more times than he will miss them on average.

How can you say that he has not been dependable in hard times? He's been the most consistant rebounder on the team for 3 years. He's played solid consistant defense for 3 years. I'll give you that he hasn't been a consistant scorer, but that hardly makes him a liability.

The only thing I can agree with you is that he has not been a good clutch offensive player when he is the #2 option in his Laker career. Ever since he has been the #3 option, he's been brilliant. Even you have to admit that.

And your boy Love? I went to the pac 10 tourny today at staples and got a chance to see him first hand. Dude is not athletic enough to defend at the NBA level. He doesn't have the quickness, athleticism, hops or size to compete at the NBA level defensively at the 4 spot. He will get eaten alive by NBA 4's. He'll have to be like Walton and rely on his savy to get by. Unless that guy can be an offensive machine, I don't see how he can ever become a starter at the NBA level. He could be a solid backup, but he will be a defensive liabilty always. Mabye a Brian Cook type.

I'm sure I've wasted my breathe, but man it frustrates me to no end the bashing that Odom has taken. Can you not see the value Odom gives to this team rebounding, defending, ball handling and passing? Thats always a constant with him. And don't forget he can play the 3, 4, and, 5 spots.

I can't reason reason with you if you honestly believe that Trading Odom for Love makes this team better.
I said Love because I think he would be a perfect fit for our team and is young and would fill a spot on our team that we need, and yes my Bruin homerism was shining through I admit it, I'd love to see another Bruin join Farmar. Odom is playing great now yes, but I still wouldn't depend on him in a crucial game. In reality I would trade Odom for any player or players of equal value that have a winner mentality and don't choke that fill a position we could shore up.
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #39
Kappy
Local High School Star
 
Kappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,031
Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

I think everybody needs to STOP the Lamar Odom trade talk. The guy is playing great right now, and I think will be a good asset in the Playoffs....He tends to "up" his play in the Playoffs actually!!

Lamar once said that once he wins a Championship he is going to retire anyway....So, maybe this year will be his year. Let's first worry about THIS year, before we start talking and worrying about NEXT season/year. If the Lakers do win the Championship this year, and Lamar still doesn't retire, then, and only then, should trade talks take place. .... BUT IMO, even if the Lakers do or don't win the Championship this year, and Lamar does decide not to retire, I still think the Lakers need to keep the guy. I don't know how they'd be able to work out his contract, but they need to try!!!

Last edited by Kappy : 03-14-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #40
alexthegod
Local High School Star
 
alexthegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,349
alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

I've been plagiarized!

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10709353
Odom doing more as lesser option for surging Lakers


March 14, 2008
By Elliott Teaford
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com


Lamar Odom has never been known as a great scorer or shooter. His rebounding and assist totals have never been among the best in the league. He has been the quintessential jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none during his NBA career.

With a slightly diminished role, Lamar Odom has actually increased his productivity.

(AP) But the situation has changed significantly since the Lakers traded for center Pau Gasol on Feb. 1. Odom has emerged as an important contributor for a team that frequently has been mentioned as an NBA title contender since the deal.
Odom's averages are up across the board in the 20 games since Gasol's arrival. His shooting has improved. And he has been more efficient and played with more confidence and intensity. Strange as it might seem, Odom's game has improved because he has dropped from the Lakers' No. 2 offensive option behind Kobe Bryant to No. 3 behind Bryant and Gasol. In fact, he sometimes falls to No. 4 or No. 5, depending on whether guard Derek Fisher and/or forward Vladimir Radmanovic have the hot hand from the perimeter.
"He's picking and choosing moments in the game that have been very judicious," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "I've been really pleased with the way he's played. He doesn't have to force the action now. He can let the action come to him, and he has the opportunity to seize that moment."
Jackson was a frequent critic of Odom's play during the first three months of the season because he believed the 6-foot-10 forward had more to give the Lakers. Jackson wanted Odom to be more aggressive, to seek out more offensive opportunities.
But Odom's success has come with a modest number of shots; he has averaged only 9.4 since Gasol's arrival.
"I take less shots, which is crazy because sometimes I would take more shots and people would say, 'You're not aggressive enough,'" Odom said, acknowledging Jackson's criticism without mentioning him by name. "It's funny, when you look at the games, my rebounding is probably about the same, but I just take less shots. I think it's just a more efficient game because Pau is such a good passer and the court opens up."
The numbers tell the story.
Odom has averaged 14.7 points since the trade, up from his season average of 13.7. His field-goal percentage has jumped to 63.1 percent from 51.5 for the season. His rebounding average since Feb. 1 is 11.2, up from 10.1. He's also averaging 4.2 assists, up from 3.4.
"It's the efficiency that's surprising me," Odom said. "It's kind of scary because I think I can go have games where I shoot 100 percent from the field."
Odom believes opponents have become so focused on Bryant and Gasol that they tend to lose track of him as the third (or fourth or fifth) option.
Bryant has been the league's leading scorer the past two seasons. He has been the NBA's second-leading scorer for most of this one, trailing only Cleveland's LeBron James. He can beat teams with jumpers and drives to the basket.
Gasol's style is sublime. He plays a versatile game that has enabled him to fit seamlessly into the Lakers' triangle offense. He's a superb passer from the post or the perimeter. He has an array of shots, including hooks with either hand, and can hit jump shots from up to 18 feet. He also runs the court like a guard instead of a 7-foot center.


CONTINUED: 1 2 Next

Last edited by alexthegod : 03-14-2008 at 12:05 PM.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #41
Bruinlove
Banned
 
Bruinlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 1,653
Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
I've been plagiarized!

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10709353
Odom doing more as lesser option for surging Lakers


March 14, 2008
By Elliott Teaford
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com


Lamar Odom has never been known as a great scorer or shooter. His rebounding and assist totals have never been among the best in the league. He has been the quintessential jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none during his NBA career.

With a slightly diminished role, Lamar Odom has actually increased his productivity.

(AP) But the situation has changed significantly since the Lakers traded for center Pau Gasol on Feb. 1. Odom has emerged as an important contributor for a team that frequently has been mentioned as an NBA title contender since the deal.
Odom's averages are up across the board in the 20 games since Gasol's arrival. His shooting has improved. And he has been more efficient and played with more confidence and intensity. Strange as it might seem, Odom's game has improved because he has dropped from the Lakers' No. 2 offensive option behind Kobe Bryant to No. 3 behind Bryant and Gasol. In fact, he sometimes falls to No. 4 or No. 5, depending on whether guard Derek Fisher and/or forward Vladimir Radmanovic have the hot hand from the perimeter.
"He's picking and choosing moments in the game that have been very judicious," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "I've been really pleased with the way he's played. He doesn't have to force the action now. He can let the action come to him, and he has the opportunity to seize that moment."
Jackson was a frequent critic of Odom's play during the first three months of the season because he believed the 6-foot-10 forward had more to give the Lakers. Jackson wanted Odom to be more aggressive, to seek out more offensive opportunities.
But Odom's success has come with a modest number of shots; he has averaged only 9.4 since Gasol's arrival.
"I take less shots, which is crazy because sometimes I would take more shots and people would say, 'You're not aggressive enough,'" Odom said, acknowledging Jackson's criticism without mentioning him by name. "It's funny, when you look at the games, my rebounding is probably about the same, but I just take less shots. I think it's just a more efficient game because Pau is such a good passer and the court opens up."
The numbers tell the story.
Odom has averaged 14.7 points since the trade, up from his season average of 13.7. His field-goal percentage has jumped to 63.1 percent from 51.5 for the season. His rebounding average since Feb. 1 is 11.2, up from 10.1. He's also averaging 4.2 assists, up from 3.4.
"It's the efficiency that's surprising me," Odom said. "It's kind of scary because I think I can go have games where I shoot 100 percent from the field."
Odom believes opponents have become so focused on Bryant and Gasol that they tend to lose track of him as the third (or fourth or fifth) option.
Bryant has been the league's leading scorer the past two seasons. He has been the NBA's second-leading scorer for most of this one, trailing only Cleveland's LeBron James. He can beat teams with jumpers and drives to the basket.
Gasol's style is sublime. He plays a versatile game that has enabled him to fit seamlessly into the Lakers' triangle offense. He's a superb passer from the post or the perimeter. He has an array of shots, including hooks with either hand, and can hit jump shots from up to 18 feet. He also runs the court like a guard instead of a 7-foot center.


CONTINUED: 1 2 Next
What do you mean you've been plagerized?
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy