Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
TRapsFan4Lyf
I brick open layups

TRapsFan4Lyf has an OK reputation so far
Default Wtf Don Nelson Is Head Coach??!!

i always thought he retired, but no GS signed him... i think he would be the perfect candidate for a head coach job in toronto haha but eh, sam mitchell fits fine right now..
TRapsFan4Lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

when he ended from Dallas, he took a year and a half off and is now a coach... I dont think he would be the perfect coach, he is the same as mitchell in the sense of all offense and no defense...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Nelson would have been a great addition. Seems like a BC type of guy, similar to D'Antoni. He is an offensive coach, but to say he's the 'same' as Mitchell is so far off. Nelson has sophisticated offensive sets....Mitchell...not so much. Both you would consider 'offensive', but the similarities end there.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Nelson would have been a great addition. Seems like a BC type of guy, similar to D'Antoni. He is an offensive coach, but to say he's the 'same' as Mitchell is so far off. Nelson has sophisticated offensive sets....Mitchell...not so much. Both you would consider 'offensive', but the similarities end there.

read again, I wrote "in the sense of all offense"... never said similar type of coaching styles...

EDIT - and btw, Don Nelson is not a coach who has set plays as many would like to believe, he is more of, you get the rebound run up the court and take the shot if you are open, but if that is sophisticated for you, then he might as well be the second best at it... first being Mike D'Antoni...

Last edited by brwnman : 08-30-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
read again, I wrote "in the sense of all offense"... never said similar type of coaching styles...

EDIT - and btw, Don Nelson is not a coach who has set plays as many would like to believe, he is more of, you get the rebound run up the court and take the shot if you are open, but if that is sophisticated for you, then he might as well be the second best at it... first being Mike D'Antoni...

A lot of fans think that b/c a team runs and guns that there isn't a lot of sophistication in their offense. The opposite is actually true. The good run and gun teams, like Phoenix and like GS/Dallas when Nellie was coaching, have tons of variations and wrinkles out of the fast break. They also have a full playbook for when they are in a half court. Most teams focus on the half court primarily. So yeah, I would consider that sophisticated.

And I don't need to read your post again. I understood what you meant. I am simply saying that Nelson is so far above Mitchell in terms of offensive creativity within the playbook. Just because the Raps scored a lot of points doesn't mean Mitchell is a good offensive coach. With all the chucking and missed shots (lots of O boards), you are going to have an uptempo game with lots of posessions...ie. high score.

Last edited by RapsFan : 08-30-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
brwnman

Quote:
A lot of fans think that b/c a team runs and guns that there isn't a lot of sophistication in their offense. The opposite is actually true. The good run and gun teams, like Phoenix and like GS/Dallas when Nellie was coaching, have tons of variations and wrinkles out of the fast break. They also have a full playbook for when they are in a half court. Most teams focus on the half court primarily. So yeah, I would consider that sophisticated.

And I don't need to read your post again. I understood what you meant. I am simply saying that Nelson is so far above Mitchell in terms of offensive creativity within the playbook. Just because the Raps scored a lot of points doesn't mean Mitchell is a good offensive coach. With all the chucking and missed shots (lots of O boards), you are going to have an uptempo game with lots of posessions...ie. high score.

every single team has plays when they are in a half-court set, even Sam Mitchell... and I say it again, Don Nelson's option is whoever gets the ball and can dribble, get it over the half-court line and if you have a open shot, take it... same thing as Mitchell, if not, then you have plays set-up... same thing with Mitchell... the type of plays are different for every team as I am 100% sure that you know... and I do like the fact that you pointed out the fact that just because Raptors score a lot of points doesn't mean Sam Mitchell is a good offensive coach (and I go by that theory as well), so with the same theory, I could argue that Don Nelson ain't a good offensive coach either because in his last full year, (in which he had far greater players than the Raptors had last year), his team's FG% was .459 just .05 more than the raptors last year... not that much of a difference at all...

and truth be told, the coach has mostly to do with spacing on a fast-break, its the players that end up deciding who they pass to or take the shot themselves when see fit... it's only the half-court where you have real set plays, and Rick Adelman is the best in that regard...
Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
TRapsFan4Lyf
I brick open layups

TRapsFan4Lyf has an OK reputation so far

u have to also remb Don Nelson's talent of developing PG talent.. Steve nash, tim hardaway.. i wonder what will happen to TJ Ford if nelson coaches XD
TRapsFan4Lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
every single team has plays when they are in a half-court set, even Sam Mitchell... and I say it again, Don Nelson's option is whoever gets the ball and can dribble, get it over the half-court line and if you have a open shot, take it... same thing as Mitchell, if not, then you have plays set-up... same thing with Mitchell... the type of plays are different for every team as I am 100% sure that you know... and I do like the fact that you pointed out the fact that just because Raptors score a lot of points doesn't mean Sam Mitchell is a good offensive coach (and I go by that theory as well), so with the same theory, I could argue that Don Nelson ain't a good offensive coach either because in his last full year, (in which he had far greater players than the Raptors had last year), his team's FG% was .459 just .05 more than the raptors last year... not that much of a difference at all...

and truth be told, the coach has mostly to do with spacing on a fast-break, its the players that end up deciding who they pass to or take the shot themselves when see fit... it's only the half-court where you have real set plays, and Rick Adelman is the best in that regard...

I guess we just simply disagree, which is cool. To me, to suggest Don Nelson's teams are good offensive teams because his theory is to have anyone who can dribble get it past half court and take the first open shot, again for me isn't accurate. Some coaches that is pretty much the extent of it, such as we'll probably see in New York this year with Isiah. But Don Nelson is widely regarded by players, media, coaches as one of the top offensive minds in the game. I will use D'Antoni as an example again. Even Nash says it's not the players, it's the fast break 'system' that the coach has put in and all the wrinkles that can be run, depending on how the other team is trying to defend. That is similar to Nelson's ability. In addition, he also has great half court sets. Anyway, I think GS will see much better results this year with Nellie. We shall see though.

Last edited by RapsFan : 08-31-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far

The perfect coach for Toronto would be U Of Oregon's, Coach Kent. He plays the run and gun but also mixes in an inside game and teaches GREAT transition defense. I think he would be the most perfect fit in Toronto. Plus he could bring out the best in the Raptors new future superstar, Freddy Jones (Jones played his college career for Oregon with Luke Ridnour and Luke Jackson)
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
brwnman

Quote:
I guess we just simply disagree, which is cool. To me, to suggest Don Nelson's teams are good offensive teams because his theory is to have anyone who can dribble get it past half court and take the first open shot, again for me isn't accurate. Some coaches that is pretty much the extent of it, such as we'll probably see in New York this year with Isiah. But Don Nelson is widely regarded by players, media, coaches as one of the top offensive minds in the game. I will use D'Antoni as an example again. Even Nash says it's not the players, it's the fast break 'system' that the coach has put in and all the wrinkles that can be run, depending on how the other team is trying to defend. That is similar to Nelson's ability. In addition, he also has great half court sets. Anyway, I think GS will see much better results this year with Nellie. We shall see though.

Yea, I guess we disagree, I am fine with it too, no big deal...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygher
The perfect coach for Toronto would be U Of Oregon's, Coach Kent. He plays the run and gun but also mixes in an inside game and teaches GREAT transition defense. I think he would be the most perfect fit in Toronto. Plus he could bring out the best in the Raptors new future superstar, Freddy Jones (Jones played his college career for Oregon with Luke Ridnour and Luke Jackson)

Pretty bold statement.

I don't know him. Colangelo may not even know him.

Bringing a coach in to bring out the best in one player who is not considered the focal point of the team and may never be the focal point sounds a little off base.

The college game and NBA game are just a bit different. Not many coaches go from college head coach to NBA head coach and those that do have had no success.

Could hire all of these players' coaches from their college or European careers as consultants or assistants.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far

If you didn' notice, I listed the things that coach Kent is good at teaching and transition defense is something the Raps need and he also runs a run and gun offense which is something the Raps will need to be more effective at with this team. The Jones part was just a perk to the signing for Kent

And I'm 110% sure that Colanagelo knows about Coach Kent. He took the ducks to the Sweet 16 with Luke Ridnour, Luke Jackson and Freddy Jones then lost to Kirk Hinrich & Nick Collison's Kansas team.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygher
If you didn' notice, I listed the things that coach Kent is good at teaching and transition defense is something the Raps need and he also runs a run and gun offense which is something the Raps will need to be more effective at with this team.

Ya. I did notice that.

Perhaps I was a bit sarcastic in my first response but to say he is a perfect fit with no NBA experience is a bit of a stretch.

I am sure there are current NBA coaches and ex-coaches who also have knowledge of the transition game who would be a better fit than a college coach.

There is a difference between the college and NBA level. Gene Keady did not seem to be too much help to the Raptors last year on the defensive end.

Last edited by huppcap : 09-05-2006 at 10:37 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: