Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425
    Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Default Re: A question regarding the Bible and God that nobody ever answers...

All I have to say is, the Old Testament is pretty whack... so different from the New Testament.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    C.S. Lewis was a bit of a wackjob though. No denying that.
    Explain.

I've actually read one of his books for school.

His biggest argument for becoming a Christian was the famous "morality argument".

It's one of the funniest arguments for Christianity ever. Because the people who argue with it like to use it as proof for the existence of a God.
    But if you think the argument through not only does it "prove" there is a God, but it also makes their entire religion obsolete.

So basically the situation is C.S. Lewis, a devout Christian, arguing his for his religion being obsolete without even realizing it.

It's hilarious. One of the most retarded philosophy books I have ever read. Actually makes me doubt if he was a Christian or just trying to make a mockery of it all.

every author has some sort of "bias". or else, every book would be some sort of reference book. a very dull world that would be

just because someone is a devout christian doesnt exclude him from consideration in the search for truth-- it depends on the quality of his writing

when history is written, very few writers of the 20th c. will be more influential than lewis
    I hope your kidding. I read C.S Lewis books when I was in elementary school. They are fanatical right-way christian propoganda nonsense. C.S Lewis is nowhere close to Hemingway, Faulkner, Orwell, James Joyce, Scott Fitzgerald, J.D Salinger, John Steinbeck, T.S Eliot. I could write a book on how many authors are way more influential and just plain better writers than C.S Lewis. H3ll, even Tolkien is even than Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I've actually read one of his books for school.

His biggest argument for becoming a Christian was the famous "morality argument".

It's one of the funniest arguments for Christianity ever. Because the people who argue with it like to use it as proof for the existence of a God.
    But if you think the argument through not only does it "prove" there is a God, but it also makes their entire religion obsolete.

So basically the situation is C.S. Lewis, a devout Christian, arguing his for his religion being obsolete without even realizing it.

It's hilarious. One of the most retarded philosophy books I have ever read. Actually makes me doubt if he was a Christian or just trying to make a mockery of it all.
    I'm still not getting the whack job thing. Lewis is someone with a belief. The guy who randomly screams at people "You need JESUS!!!" and scares the crap out of them....that's a whackjob.

The guy who randomly screams at people "You need JESUS!!!" and scares the crap out of them
    wait a minute.. thats the guy who's in front of the podium on sundays!

Local High School Star Pain of Thought's Avatar

The whackjobs are those snake-handlers from the Bible Belt.

Here ya go little Billy! Now that you 5 year old, you can hold this rattle snake in front of your face and dangle it. Oh, don't worry now, he won't hurt ya, the power of the Holy Spirit will proteck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pain of Thought

Here ya go little Billy! Now that you 5 year old, you can hold this rattle snake in front of your face and dangle it. Oh, don't worry now, he won't hurt ya, the power of the Holy Spirit will proteck you!

there is this "snake handler" in auburn hills/clarkston who's wife died after a snake bite during one of their services .and he still does it to this day.

^ Religion at its finest.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    I hope your kidding. I read C.S Lewis books when I was in elementary school. They are fanatical right-way christian propoganda nonsense. C.S Lewis is nowhere close to Hemingway, Faulkner, Orwell, James Joyce, Scott Fitzgerald, J.D Salinger, John Steinbeck, T.S Eliot. I could write a book on how many authors are way more influential and just plain better writers than C.S Lewis. H3ll, even Tolkien is even than Lewis.
    my bad

i meant to write christian writers

t.s. eliot is better and i think that thomas merton was also

this thread just keep getting better and better

Quote Originally Posted by Pain of Thought

Hey, now you're knocking my church!!

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Hey, now you're knocking my church!!