Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Default Re: The guy most comparable to Kobe is Julius Erving

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Kobe has a more defined all around game.

If I were to compare Kobe to anybody, it would be Drexler.

Both of which equalled out at the end.

Kobe might be better than Clyde in one category, but Clyde might be better in another.

Clyde was unfortunate enough to play in MJ's reign, so he was always overlooked. But he was a great player that could do everything great.

I hate to sound like an MJ groupie, but that's how large MJ's shadow was. Clyde was as skilled as Kobe but more athletic. He could pass just as well, just not as fancy (passing isn't always about fancy passes), he could post, shoot the mid, had a bunch of offensive moves, was smarter than Kobe etc.etc.

They may not be the exact same, but I think he's the most comparable to Bean.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Kobe has a more defined all around game.

If I were to compare Kobe to anybody, it would be Drexler.

Both of which equalled out at the end.

Kobe might be better than Clyde in one category, but Clyde might be better in another.

Clyde was unfortunate enough to play in MJ's reign, so he was always overlooked. But he was a great player that could do everything great.

I hate to sound like an MJ groupie, but that's how large MJ's shadow was. Clyde was as skilled as Kobe but more athletic. He could pass just as well, just not as fancy (passing isn't always about fancy passes), he could post, shoot the mid, had a bunch of offensive moves, was smarter than Kobe etc.etc.

They may not be the exact same, but I think he's the most comparable to Bean.
    Totally agree with this. Kobe and Drexler are about equal.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Kobe > Drexler. Drexler is a bad comparison IMO.

Jerry West is more comparable to Kobe than any other player. Both Kobe & West were solid defenders, lethal scorers, both had a nice outside game, & both were fantastic in the clutch.

As for Clyde Drexler...I think Dwayne Wade would be the most comparable player to him.

Gingereffic
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by TmacsRockets
    He hasn't even shown himself better than Pierce. Pierce on a busted knee outplayed him. Billups who wasn't even a star outplayed him in the 2004 finals.

stop it .please... Sometimes kobe dreams he dreams he moves he dreams he grooves like mike, if kobe could be like mike, he wants to be he wants to be like mike. Too bad that is out of the window.. I can no longer even debate that.. Though I will say I think Kobe is better than DR J.. I say he is more like Jerry West than any other player...

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers

Jerry West is more comparable to Kobe than any other player. Both Kobe & West were solid defenders, lethal scorers, both had a nice outside game, & both were fantastic in the clutch.
    I was just about to type this. They were pretty similar in personality too.

Gingereffic
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

As for Clyde Drexler...I think Dwayne Wade would be the most comparable player to him.

Wade in my opinion compares more like mj though he isn't on that level.. Maybe a bigger better kevin johnson...

Saw a basketball once

I'm not certain Dr. J is the kind of player Kobe should be compared to. Kobe's game is largely based on outside shooting. While he's got a great all-around game as well, and certainly is known for fantastic dunks, it's his three-point, and fadeaway shooting ability that really defines him.

Dr. J, on the other hand, was a player whose game was primarily defined by his drives to the hoop. He could shoot, but was nowhere in the same league as Kobe in terms of overall outside shooting ability.

Both are legends.

Local High School Star

How is this? Drexler was just as good or better than Kobe.

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

Don't change the theme of the topic this is about Kobe and Dr J.

Anyway Larry Bird has led the league in PER before and he has 2 finals MVP's and 3 league MVP's. He is much better than Kobe.

Kobe would absolutely $hit on Bird's head if they played in any era.

PS
    Sorry for changing the theme. Just thought I'd throw some gasoline on the fire.

Go Spurs Go

Tmacs needs a new gig.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    Kobe would absolutely $hit on Bird's head if they played in any era.

PS
    Sorry for changing the theme. Just thought I'd throw some gasoline on the fire.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/score...2/97132380.htm

The Lakers had a chance to win it in regulation, but Kobe Bryant, who finished with 11 points, shot an air ball at the buzzer.

Bryant would miss three more shots, including two air balls, in the overtime.
    He couldn't even perform when Jeff Hornecek was on him. Just imagine what Bird would do to him.

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

He couldn't even perform when Jeff Hornecek was on him. Just imagine what Bird would do to him.
    That's cool. Stats from his rookie year, fresh out of high school, playing spot minutes. Guess I should have been more clear (though some will take what they want from this) Kobe at his peak versus Bird at his peak. Kobe would bust his ass and it wouldn't even be close.

Intelligent fan

He was 18 you dipsh!t. At least he had the balls to take the shots unlike Van Exel who was crying in the huddle.

Whoever said Drexler > = Kobe is a f*cking joke.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    That's cool. Stats from his rookie year, fresh out of high school, playing spot minutes. Guess I should have been more clear (though some will take what they want from this) Kobe at his peak versus Bird at his peak. Kobe would bust his ass and it wouldn't even be close.

Kobe couldn't even handle Billups in 2004 and yet you think he can take on a top 6 player all time in Bird?