Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Name Is My Name MarloStanfield's Avatar

Default Re: OT: The Wire Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Says the guy with the Marlo Stanfield monicker. Please illuminate me Mr. Drug Kingpin, why is that 'laughable'?
    I suppose you aren't familiar with the names of writers who have contributed to the show. It's widely regarded as the greatest ensemble to have worked on an episodic drama.

David Simon who wrote Homicide, The Corner, Generation Kill. Bar none one of the finest writers alive.

Richard Price who is one of the finest true crime writers alive. Some of his more notable titles include like 'Clockers', 'Lush life', 'Freedom Land'. All exceptional.

Dennis Lehane who is responsible for 'Mystic River' and 'Gone Baby Baby Gone' which should speak for itself.

William Zorzi, Rafael Alvarez, Ed Burns, George Pelecanos, the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by MarloStanfield; 05-03-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
    Dennis Lahane
    I suppose you aren't familiar with the names of writers who have contributed to the show. It's widely regarded as the greatest ensemble to have worked on an episodic drama.

David Simon who wrote Homicide, The Corner, Generation Kill. Bar none one of the finest writers alive.

Richard Price who is one of the finest true crime writers alive. Some of his more notable titles include like 'Clockers', 'Lush life', 'Freedom Land'. All exceptional.

Dennis Lehane who is responsible for 'Mystic River' and 'Gone Baby Baby Gone' which should speak for itself.

William Zorzi, Rafael Alvarez, Ed Burns, George Pelecanos, the list goes on and on.
    I'm familiar with all of those names and I've read and seen most of David Simon's past work. Doesn't change the fact that the Sopranos was a better show.

I'm familiar with all of those names and I've read and seen most of David Simon's past work. Doesn't change the fact that the Sopranos was a better show.
    LOL. Because you say it is? Sorry that doesn't cut it.

Banned

LOL. Because you say it is? Sorry that doesn't cut it.
    Ok, how about this---> James Gandolfini and Edie Falco outclass each and every actor on the Wire by a mile, the only one who even came close was Andre Royo and many times his performance came off as contrived and phony. The Wire never left the level of a documentary (until season 4), whereas the Sopranos was more like an arthouse piece the Wire was more like a history book, which isn't a bad thing mind you but it never got as deep as the Sopranos. Whereas the Sopranos had episodes that were weaker than the rest of the series, the Wire had entire seasons (2, 5, parts of 3). The Wire was more detailed in it's writing but not necesarily better in terms of dialogue and creativity. There were a million characters in the Wire and I'd say 70% of them got too much camera/story time and their arcs amounted to **** and no one really cared about them.

That's just off of the top of my head, I can get deeper if I take the time, but I really don't feel like it right now. Hopefully that cuts it for you.

Ok, how about this---> James Gandolfini and Edie Falco outclass each and every actor on the Wire by a mile, the only one who even came close was Andre Royo and many times his performance came off as contrived and phony. The Wire never left the level of a documentary (until season 4), whereas the Sopranos was more like an arthouse piece the Wire was more like a history book, which isn't a bad thing mind you but it never got as deep as the Sopranos. Whereas the Sopranos had episodes that were weaker than the rest of the series, the Wire had entire seasons (2, 5, parts of 3). The Wire was more detailed in it's writing but not necesarily better in terms of dialogue and creativity. There were a million characters in the Wire and I'd say 70% of them got too much camera/story time and their arcs amounted to **** and no one really cared about them.

That's just off of the top of my head, I can get deeper if I take the time, but I really don't feel like it right now. Hopefully that cuts it for you.
    LOL it's comical listening to you play your opinions off as fact. Especially when you're discussing the amount of 'creativity' involved in a show that catered to old women. The Sopranos an art house piece? GTFO. The Wire is visionary literature. There has never been anything on TV quite like it hence why it's in a class of it's own. The Sopranos is a glorified soap opera. Each season of the Wire was like a prolonged chapter it was like reading Proust or Mark Twain or some sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    lol GOBB posted like he had a tree up his ass back then.
    I cant believe i typed the Shield. I've never watched a full episode before.

1. Someone hacked my acct
    2. I was drunk
    3. I just went against the grain for arguments sake

Banned

LOL it's comical listening to you play your opinions off as fact. Especially when you're discussing the amount of 'creativity' involved in a show that catered to old women. The Sopranos an art house piece? GTFO. The Wire is visionary literature. There has never been anything on TV quite like it hence why it's in a class of it's own. The Sopranos is a glorified soap opera. Each season of the Wire was like a prolonged chapter it was like reading Proust or Mark Twain or some sh*t.

Those were some hardcore old women they were catering to. There was nothing visionary about the Wire, and I'm saying this as a big fan of the show. There was so much unnecesary filler on the Wire, the show could've been shaved in half and nothing would be changed or missed. The final season was about as big of a let down as there's ever been, what a collosal waste of everyone's time. And I don't see the connection between The Wire and Mark Twain or 'some sh*t', care to explain?

Those were some hardcore old women they were catering to. There was nothing visionary about the Wire, and I'm saying this as a big fan of the show. There was so much unnecesary filler on the Wire, the show could've been shaved in half and nothing would be changed or missed. The final season was about as big of a let down as there's ever been, what a collosal waste of everyone's time. And I don't see the connection between The Wire and Mark Twain or 'some sh*t', care to explain?
    Sounds like a lot of the themes flew over your head if you don't think there was any visionary about the Wire. Almost every single episodic drama on television to date prior to the Wire followed a generic formula. The viewer would be able to The Wire threw that formula out the window and modeled it after a novel. The Wire was never gave the viewer a climax and a resolution by the end of each episode. It demanded the viewer's concentration and in order to fully understand the story you'd have to watch an entire season. It was revolutionary in that sense.

While I agree the 5th season was a slight let down the Sopranos fell off way before it's final season and lost a lot of it's edginess.

I'll touch on the parallels between Twain and The Wire at a later date, occupied atm.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Always wanted to see this. Anyone know where I can watch online?

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    Nope.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

o then just d/l the torrents.

NBA rookie of the year

Season 4 of the Wire was by far the most depressing. So much letdown: Politics, education, drug abuse, gang intimidation in the streets and poverty.

Watching that security guard get murked by Marlo's crew just for "talking back" was one of the saddes moments on the show.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

the wire =

College superstar

The wire was and still is one of the most engrossing TV shows out there. When I started watching it about 3 years ago I was hooked. It recently just came to BBC2 over here in the U.K. not sure how well it's doing though.