Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Career 30, 40, 50, 60 point games in NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Or if he won more of those Finals series.
    It's tough going against strong GOAT candidate in Russell for each of those series through 68-69 though.

Or if he won more of those Finals series.
    Not his fault usually. And it doesn't really matter: A few plays going the other way with West adding nothing more than what he did would make him a multiple time champion.
    But it's not as if many are calling the one that beat him GOAT either. So, I guess that even if he won more, most would still offer the usual "weak competition" excuses.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

True, but you can't select your competition. Same excuse I see with 90's ringless players and Jordan. It's poppycock.

And West probably would get a heavy GOAT consideration if you reversed his Finals record. He went 3-6, right? (going off memory). 6-3 and his resume looks completely different. Hypotheticals don't mean shit because they never happened. Not sure why I see so many of them used to help a player's argument on ISH.

True, but you can't select your competition. Same excuse I see with 90's ringless players and Jordan. It's poppycock.

And West probably would get a heavy GOAT consideration if you reversed his Finals record. He went 3-6, right? (going off memory). 6-3 and his resume looks completely different. Hypotheticals don't mean shit because they never happened. Not sure why I see so many of them used to help a player's argument on ISH.
    1-8 Finals record I think.

I disagree about hypotheticals though, if we're just discussing things that happened, these boards would get very boring. I think it's much, much more interesting to consider what-ifs, and try and figure out how players would do in different situations, or how good a guy is in a vacuum when taking into account context/circumstances.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Updated, added a few missing players, and extended the list. BR has points stats as far back as 1963-64 now.
    Do you know about this site?

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/home.htm

Go Playoffs, or Finals, in the toolbar at the top.... then select by season.

Has all playoffs & Finals box scores up to 2003, and there is some interesting conversation about many of the series too.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Do you know about this site?

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/home.htm

Go Playoffs, or Finals, in the toolbar at the top.... then select by season.

Has all playoffs & Finals box scores up to 2003, and there is some interesting conversation about many of the series too.
    Yes of course. I use it to look up Finals stats pre-mid '80s since it has series totals/averages.

Jerry West flat out balling in the finals. He and Baylor had 50 30 point finals, that's five-oh, and yet only one championship.

Dat Celtic dyansty.

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    I think the above stats alone is enough evidence to show people who are/were the greatest playoffs performer of all time..
    Need to show # of playoff games also. Kobe would have played in more than West and Baylor, even though those two were in 9 finals (West was 9, Baylor 8?).
    Last edited by Marchesk; 11-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Well you can't compare them at all because Wilt's era isn't as good as Jordan's. And I know about him changing roles in the mid 60s from an offensive player to defensive anchor. Even when you compare the regular season numbers ro the playoff numbers when he was the main man on offense, his scoring dropped. Anyways when I looked at the numbers that people had for Wilt's 30 point playoff games, I saw one had Wilt at 40 and another at 42. Do you know how much he has?
    But Jordan didn't grow up in the 50s. You play against your competition, not people decades in the future. We'll never really know how MJ, Lebron or Shaq would have faired in the 60s, because we don't have time machines (which I'm sure we'd use to send athletes back in), and they didn't grow up in different eras.

You can only really measure athletes across time relative to how they did against their competition.

If West was 8-1 in the finals, having the exact same stats, he would be with MJ in the GOAT conversation. Interesting how much rings influence people's perception of players. West isn't even top 10 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    If West was 8-1 in the finals, having the exact same stats, he would be with MJ in the GOAT conversation. Interesting how much rings influence people's perception of players. West isn't even top 10 anymore.
    West is on my all-time team as starting guard, with Jordan the other.
    Logo didn't have the best first step but I've still to this day never seen anyone quicker than a young West from the perimeter to the hoop. Absolutely unstoppable, totally clutch, balls to the wall every minute.
    Elite anywhere on the court, with the ball, without it, on defense, open court offense or defense.

West is on my all-time team as starting guard, with Jordan the other.
    Logo didn't have the best first step but I've still to this day never seen anyone quicker than a young West from the perimeter to the hoop. Absolutely unstoppable, totally clutch, balls to the wall every minute.
    Elite anywhere on the court, with the ball, without it, on defense, open court offense or defense.
    What years if any do you think West was or considered the best player in the league?

What years if any do you think West was or considered the best player in the league?
    actually......... none. He played in a league with Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain. It's like Kobe being called the best in the league when Shaq was in his heyday..... no knock on Bryant, just the way it was in that time frame.

6,000 views, 70+ post. Lurkers def see dat Wilt, Jordan, Kobe domination.

actually......... none. He played in a league with Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain. It's like Kobe being called the best in the league when Shaq was in his heyday..... no knock on Bryant, just the way it was in that time frame.
    Who was the best in '69 and '70 in your opinion?