Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Blazers score basket against Celtics using six players on the court

[QUOTE=insidehoops]http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=2883

Tuesday night in Portland the Trail Blazers are hosting the Boston Celtics and late in the second quarter were losing to the visiters 44-38.

With 10 seconds left in the half, Portland took a 20-second timeout. A Blazers substitution brought Jerryd Bayless into the game. [B]Greg Oden was supposed to leave the game, but he didn

They refs were just counting on KG to take the Blazer's 6th man out.

I missed this game but saw the vid. I find it hard to believe three referees didn't notice 6 white jerseys on the court. But it's not the reason the Celtics lost.

Default Re: The NBA of 2009: 6 on 5!

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Here's the scenario:

Boston @ Portland, end of the second quarter, 10.1 seconds left on the clock. Portland is passing the ball inbounds with six players in the game. Oden gets the ball and passes to Outlaw for the jam to end the half. The entire Celtics team and staff are going insane.

The referee's say it was their mistake, they allow the basket, and Boston shoots a technical free throw.

Let me say that again, they allowed the basket.

Refs call the league office, their response is that it's a technicality and the bucket is good, and there's nothing they can do about it.

What's to stop a team for having 6 guys on the floor at any given time to score a three? All the other team gets is a technical free throw.

Absurd. I don't even want to watch the NBA anymore.

Agree. Stupid the play wasn't reset. I'd set up a 6 on 5 anytime I'm down one with 10 seconds left on purpose if that's the case. What as well take the chance if all you're giving up is a free throw that potentially may be missed. Kinda like the extra attacker in hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    What a shame. But we have known now for years that in NBA the refs decide game's outcome
    This was just before halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24

This really shouldn't be an issue anymore because the officials made up for their slip-up by trying to give away the game to Boston, with those awful bail out calls at the end. Anyway, it is inexcusable for a team like Boston to lose to the Blazers (playing without their best player).
    Didn't the Lakers lose to Sacramento with Kevin Martin sitting out the game with an injury?

Yeah, I

Well as a ref you can

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    My guess is that the rule is like that in case something happens for several plays in a row. The refs can't just go, "Oh wait up, we need to start the whole quarter over." Especially since without replay they can't figure out at which point there was too many players.
    Yep. It sucks but, this kind of thing will happen occasionally. Fortunately this is just one regular season game, which a team like the Cs can afford to lose (and the blown call wasn't the biggest reason for the loss anyway).

it sucks LOL but KG sure had his eyes on bayless and not on oden where he was supposed to be. im surprised no one made a crack on that yet.

It's hard to believe the Blazers played with 6 men for 4 full minutes until someone noticed. Incredible.....

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Hmmmmmmm.............

I assume referees missed fact there were 6 men on court, so game play started. Once game play resumed, and after score, referees realized what happened, calling the technical foul. But I guess technically refs can't go backwards and replay those 10 seconds, so the technical foul is the only recourse.

They can't replay it. It's just a blown call by the refs.

On rare occassions, this can happen. Especially in football, where a team might get away with 12 players on a play here or there.....I don't think its as big a deal as people think, just comical.......
    this is the correct point of view and the way the league views it. The refs ****ed upp, but all they can do is call a tech after the fact. Pretty sure they cant reset and "do over" under the rule book. If boston lost by 1, I could see it being a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    It's hard to believe the Blazers played with 6 men for 4 full minutes until someone noticed. Incredible.....

You forgot the [/sarcasm] at the end. Funny post.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: The NBA of 2009: 6 on 5!

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Agree. Stupid the play wasn't reset. I'd set up a 6 on 5 anytime I'm down one with 10 seconds left on purpose if that's the case. What as well take the chance if all you're giving up is a free throw that potentially may be missed. Kinda like the extra attacker in hockey.
    here is why this is a stupid idea. Most of the time the refs will catch it and call the tech on you before a score, maybe even before the inbound. So youd have to be awfully sneaky in order for this to work.

Blu Ray

All a player has to do is sprint off the bench, set a screen for someone, catch an alley oop, and score a basket. All it would be is a technical free throw for the other team. You don't have to sneak in. That's the problem with the rule.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    All a player has to do is sprint off the bench, set a screen for someone, catch an alley oop, and score a basket. All it would be is a technical free throw for the other team. You don't have to sneak in. That's the problem with the rule.
    It wouldn't be just a technical, they would take away the basket. It's only if the play restarts and the other team inbounds the ball and the play goes on, and THEN they figure out what happened that you cannot take the basket away.

Once the play restarts, you cannot change decisions. That goes for every rule, not just the one about how many players are allowed on the court at once.