Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Default Why Macs cost more

The ability to work with RAW photos and HD video....is that asking to much from Windows?

Let me preface this by saying I was a Windows user my whole life up until 2 years ago when I got fed up and switched to Mac. Been very happy ever since, everything works perfectly. Well, I needed a laptop and didnt really want to spend $2k for a Macbook I was only going to use on occasion, and I have heard great things about Windows 7, so I bought a Windows based laptop. Big mistake

I shoot photos and videos for a living and need a laptop I can actually use while away from home. Windows is still in the dark ages when it comes to HD video and RAW photos. Sure, I can import AVCHD video into Windows Movie Maker, but the most you can output to is 8 Mbps WTF? Whats the point of shooting in 24 Mbps? The built in Windows image viewer/editor is just as bad. No native RAW support still? Is this 2009 or 2004?

I am not looking for some top of the line programs here. Just something to be able to view RAW images and a simple edit to some HD vids. Arent most people shooting these things? So basically I have to pay extra to install 3rd party software into this thing to do what I can do with imovie and iphoto that comes free on a Mac. Just one reason I will gladly pay more a Mac in the future because this is seriously frustrating.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Why Macs cost more

Quote Originally Posted by mbell75
    The ability to work with RAW photos and HD video....is that asking to much from Windows?

Let me preface this by saying I was a Windows user my whole life up until 2 years ago when I got fed up and switched to Mac. Been very happy ever since, everything works perfectly. Well, I needed a laptop and didnt really want to spend $2k for a Macbook I was only going to use on occasion, and I have heard great things about Windows 7, so I bought a Windows based laptop. Big mistake

I shoot photos and videos for a living and need a laptop I can actually use while away from home. Windows is still in the dark ages when it comes to HD video and RAW photos. Sure,[COLOR="Red"] I can import AVCHD video into Windows Movie Maker[/COLOR], but the most you can output to is 8 Mbps WTF? Whats the point of shooting in 24 Mbps? The built in Windows image viewer/editor is just as bad. No native RAW support still? Is this 2009 or 2004?

I am not looking for some top of the line programs here. Just something to be able to view RAW images and a simple edit to some HD vids. Arent most people shooting these things? So basically I have to pay extra to install 3rd party software into this thing to do what I can do with imovie and iphoto that comes free on a Mac. Just one reason I will gladly pay more a Mac in the future because this is seriously frustrating.

^^^

learn it

you shoot photos for a living, all of this sh*t should be a tax write off, computer and all the software...

I have to say though I have never heard of photographer/graphic artist doing professional work on any laptop...but I guess if you have to travel that is your only choice...that would bother the hell out of me...you aren't gonna get proper color display on any laptop monitor...
    Last edited by ~primetime~; 11-17-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~

^^^

learn it

you shoot photos for a living, all of this sh*t should be a tax write off, computer and all the software...

I have to say though I have never heard of photographer/graphic artist doing professional work on any laptop...but I guess if you have to travel that is your only choice...that would bother the hell out of me...you aren't gonna get proper color display on any laptop monitor...
    Thanks but the point is, I need to at least be able to LOOK at what I have shot. Even thats a huge challenge, let alone trying to edit. If I am paying a grand for the laptop and another grand to buy an Adobe program just for light editing, I might as well just spend that 2 grand on a Macbook and be done with it.

Thanks but the point is, I need to at least be able to LOOK at what I have shot. Even thats a huge challenge, let alone trying to edit.
    you can look at anything in Adobe After Effects...HD movies of any format

and the RAW Photos...why not just Adobe Photoshop?

I guess I am not understanding what the issue is...are you just claiming that Windows 7 won't allow either regardless of the software?

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

So Macs cost more because they make you pay for features in programs that most people will never use? Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    So Macs cost more because they make you pay for features in programs that most people will never use? Good to know.
    Dont most people these days shoot HD video and RAW photos?

Thanks primetime, but why would I want to pay $1k to install Photoshop onto this laptop just to LOOK at photos I have shot? I just find it ridiculous that Windows cant put these simple things into a brand new OS. Mac has had the ability to do these things on their computers for years. Guess I should have looked into Windows 7 more before I bought a laptop.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Actually no.

They cost more because they're a 'premium' built computer, just like any other top of the line OEM.

Its the overall quality of the computer and of course, Apple has software that most people will find useful. Software such as their iLife suite that comes with every new Mac for FREE.

Or put it like this.....

A pc with the most expensive Windows 7 version is gonna cost more money, because it has more features and it also requires higher minimum requirements, than the cheapest Windows 7 version.

There is only ONE version of OS X for everybody, so pros, creative type, normal users all get the same benefits and great software. To get pc versions of iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band, iWeb, and iDVD you'll have to spend hundreds of dollars altogether and they won't work as seamless with each other, the system and other apps like they do.

You might be thinking.. "I don't need that stuff" but its FREE in every new Mac, regardless of model or price.

And we haven't even covered Apple's superior workflow, dependability, elegance, security, etc.etc. a few of the reasons why many pros (from various industries) overwhelmingly prefer to use Macs.

Go tell all the people that just use their computers to check their email and update their facebook status.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    And we haven't even covered Apple's superior workflow, dependability, elegance, security, etc.etc. a few of the reasons why many pros (from various industries) overwhelmingly prefer to use Macs.
    That's debatable.
    I've spent 6 years on software developing in several different companies and I've NEVER used or seen anybody using a Mac.
    It's always Windows or Linux.

Dont most people these days shoot HD video and RAW photos?

Thanks primetime, but why would I want to pay $1k to install Photoshop onto this laptop just to LOOK at photos I have shot? I just find it ridiculous that Windows cant put these simple things into a brand new OS. Mac has had the ability to do these things on their computers for years. Guess I should have looked into Windows 7 more before I bought a laptop.
    well first off you can get a crack version of photoshop from a 10 year old for free...

second, there are plenty of cheap ass image viewers you can purchase also...

after just googling "raw image viewer" there seems to be a ton of stuff out there that is free even...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    Go tell all the people that just use their computers to check their email and update their facebook status.
    Then I'd recommend a Mac Mini.

It'll relieve them from the headaches and troubleshooting that come with having a pc, since most of those users are on the avg regular users that aren't very tech savvy. They're the ones that usually pick up bad surfing habits and end up having computer problems.

I gave my dad my Mac Mini and he didn't really understand what the big deal was about Macs, he never used a computer before so he wasn't tech savvy enough.

I showed him how to use it, and he learned little by little on his own.

It wasn't until he saw his co-workers having problems with their winpcs, and he wasn't having any of those same issues. He noticed how problematic their pcs were and how he wasn't having issues (aside from not knowing how to do certain things because well.... he had never used a computer before). That's when he started to understand the ease of use, dependability, elegance, workflow, etc.etc.etc.

So those people should get a Mac Mini.... it'll save them some headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    That's debatable.
    I've spent 6 years on software developing in several different companies and I've NEVER used or seen anybody using a Mac.
    It's always Windows or Linux.
    That's fair, I guess it depends on which industry one is referring too.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Then I'd recommend a Mac Mini.

It'll relieve them from the headaches and troubleshooting that come with having a pc, since most of those users are on the avg regular users that aren't very tech savvy. They're the ones that usually pick up bad surfing habits and end up having computer problems.

I gave my dad my Mac Mini and he didn't really understand what the big deal was about Macs, he never used a computer before so he wasn't tech savvy enough.

I showed him how to use it, and he learned little by little on his own.

It wasn't until he saw his co-workers having problems with their winpcs, and he wasn't having any of those same issues. He noticed how problematic their pcs were and how he wasn't having issues (aside from not knowing how to do certain things because well.... he had never used a computer before). That's when he started to understand the ease of use, dependability, elegance, workflow, etc.etc.etc.

So those people should get a Mac Mini.... it'll save them some headaches.
    Just checked, they cost 549+

This is not me hating on Macs, I'd also tell most people not to buy a Windows PC over 500

I think something like 92% of the business world uses a PC, and like 8% Mac...(something like that)

Macs are used by home users and some graphic artists...and students...

I have to use a PC, because they don't have the proper software on a Mac for my line of work...

PCs have about like...1,000x more software available...

infact, it is so overwhelming that I believe Macs now have an option to run Windows on a Mac...

and the only reason Macs have better security is because no one makes any viruses for Macs, because no one owns a Mac...