Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default You think its possible Dem's can ever adopt a pro gun rights stance?

because i swear that would be the ultimate strategy to beat Republicans at the polls where its money. So many military and so many country people, etc. hate the left mainly because they think they're going to take away their guns. Even law enforcement tend to vote Republican based on that paranoia....

I've even swung more pro gun rights, and i think it can very reasonably be argued to moderate Democrats.

Its the far left i know that would never adopt it but we don't really need them. They're way too soft, PC, etc almost a thorn in the side like most of the extreme ends of both parties... to me most moderate Dem's are very reasonable people tho.

would any Republicans here consider voting Dem if they adopted pro gun right stances?

I feel it would be a complete game changer. The whole Chicago situation isn't doing gun rights any favors, but there have been quite a few incidents of late that have even justified conceal and carry(but haven't seen reported on national news).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: You think its possible Dem's can ever adopt a pro gun rights stance?

I never understood why Republicans are afraid of stricter laws on obtaining guns. It doesn't take away their guns and all of those who have not committed violent crimes are still allowed to get them. The reaction always seems to be "They are trying to take our guns" even if that isn't even close to being proposed. Yes, many violent criminals will get them anyway, but the more hoops they have to jump through to obtain guns illegally, it will at least reduce the number of criminals that will get them.

Banned

Default Re: You think its possible Dem's can ever adopt a pro gun rights stance?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Making someone take a few tests before getting a gun isn't anti-gun.
    It is anti-American though.

Banned

the NRA is da devil

National High School Star

I can see it. Dems used to be against gay marriage.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Anyone who thinks that it should be easy to get a gun in retarded. Illegal doesn't come into it, it shouldn't be easy to kill someone. You can't just drive whenever you want to either, you have to be licensed. Cars are a lot less dangerous than guns.

NBA Legend

Altho I support the rights of responsible citizens to own guns I am not myself a gun hobbyist - can someone clue me in on what the current regulations for obtaining a permit are and how it is Dems are propose they be changed?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I never understood why Republicans are afraid of stricter laws on obtaining guns. It doesn't take away their guns and all of those who have not committed violent crimes are still allowed to get them. The reaction always seems to be "They are trying to take our guns" even if that isn't even close to being proposed. Yes, many violent criminals will get them anyway, but the more hoops they have to jump through to obtain guns illegally, it will at least reduce the number of criminals that will get them.

LOL, how do you create more hoops to obtain one illegally?? How about reinforcing what's already been out there for years.....harsher sentences for gun crimes.

And Republicans aren't "afraid" of the government taking away their guns like you think they are. If the government takes away the right to own an AR-15 for example, what's stopping them from taking away other guns down the road? If a criminal can't shoot an AR-15, he will shoot the next best thing he can get his hands on. So at what point does the government stop taking away the right to own certain guns?

I lean heavily right, but I would vote democrat because the republican party keeps running incompetent clowns.

The 2nd amendment is a phoney issue anyway. NOBODY is going to actually try to change the gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Anyone who thinks that it should be easy to get a gun in retarded. Illegal doesn't come into it, it shouldn't be easy to kill someone. You can't just drive whenever you want to either, you have to be licensed. Cars are a lot less dangerous than guns.
    Driving a car isn't a constitutionally guaranteed right.

America is NOT a democracy. It's a constitutional republic. That means there are certain guarantees that are not even up for discussion.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I lean heavily right, but I would vote democrat because the republican party keeps running incompetent clowns.

The 2nd amendment is a phoney issue anyway. NOBODY is going to actually try to change the gun laws.

I feel like this is done on purpose, because the 'powers that be' want to keep the country as divided as possible.

Theyre going to continue to do that. It will have to be the people ourselves that set aside partisan agendas and come to plausible solutions and compromises. But most people have a greater appetite for partisan competitiveness than low-drama polticial discussion and negotiation.

The real problem is how few people pay attention at all. Just look at ISH as an example. The number of people who post about sociopolitical topics is a drop compared to the total number of posters. Most Americans dont pay attention to anything all year and then when election day comes around theyll just mindlessly vote for one of the two guys they saw advertised on the television.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Driving a car isn't a constitutionally guaranteed right.

America is NOT a democracy. It's a constitutional republic. That means there are certain guarantees that are not even up for discussion.
    Like I said, I have no problem with owning a gun. It just shouldn't be so easy. We're not constitutionally guaranteed convenience

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    LOL, how do you create more hoops to obtain one illegally?? How about reinforcing what's already been out there for years.....harsher sentences for gun crimes.

And Republicans aren't "afraid" of the government taking away their guns like you think they are. If the government takes away the right to own an AR-15 for example, what's stopping them from taking away other guns down the road? If a criminal can't shoot an AR-15, he will shoot the next best thing he can get his hands on. So at what point does the government stop taking away the right to own certain guns?
    the government already does this, which is why its a completely fallacious argument. Your right to bear arms is already restricted (no automatic weapons, no RPG, etc.). By what constitutional measure is that different? Its not.

I have two problems. The first is gunshow sales (where most of the traceable guns used by cartels and other criminal organizations come from). They should have the exact same background checks and waiting periods as buying from a store.

The second is the conceal carry permits. Utah's classes are such a joke that people teach them in other states (like maryland, not neighboring states) since the conceal carry permit transfers to many other states. You can get a conceal carry permit in Utah without ever having fired a gun in your life. that is ridiculous.

Personally, I am about as left as it gets and I own guns. Now, my guns arent for self-defense, but are tools for killing animals.

As for people not being scared of the govt taking their guns, you need to expose yourself to a broader swath of your party. There is definitely a paranoia about this. Despite Obama never making any push towards new gun control legislation, nearly 70 million guns were sold during his first term (nearly double the prior rate and a new record). Additionally people were buying bullets in such high quantity (to hoard) that many gun stores couldnt keep enough bullets in stock. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/01/1...cord-high.html

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Like I said, I have no problem with owning a gun. It just shouldn't be so easy. We're not constitutionally guaranteed convenience
    It's not "easy" to get a license because it's set up in a way so that it is possible to NOT get one.

What exactly is the way you make it "not so easy" to get a gun without the possibility of being denied?

It's a guaranteed right, so there can't be a possibility of not being able to get a gun so what exactly would it mean to make it "less easy" to get one?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    the government already does this, which is why its a completely fallacious argument. Your right to bear arms is already restricted (no automatic weapons, no RPG, etc.). By what constitutional measure is that different? Its not.

I have two problems. The first is gunshow sales (where most of the traceable guns used by cartels and other criminal organizations come from). They should have the exact same background checks and waiting periods as buying from a store.

The second is the conceal carry permits. Utah's classes are such a joke that people teach them in other states (like maryland, not neighboring states) since the conceal carry permit transfers to many other states. You can get a conceal carry permit in Utah without ever having fired a gun in your life. that is ridiculous.

Personally, I am about as left as it gets and I own guns. Now, my guns arent for self-defense, but are tools for killing animals.

As for people not being scared of the govt taking their guns, you need to expose yourself to a broader swath of your party. There is definitely a paranoia about this. Despite Obama never making any push towards new gun control legislation, nearly 70 million guns were sold during his first term (nearly double the prior rate and a new record). Additionally people were buying bullets in such high quantity (to hoard) that many gun stores couldnt keep enough bullets in stock. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/01/1...cord-high.html

thing is given what you believe and how minor your quibbles with gun laws are, couldn't that easily be sacrificed for a more gungho, near Republican-like support of gun laws if it guaranteed victories at the polls and majorities? i would easily...even if its under false pretenses where we don't all completely buy into it like the Republicans, the idea of being very for it and supporting it like the GOP does, would really equalize their huge advantage with voters based on this issue.

I swear it would be a game changer but knowing how strict party lines and beliefs seem ingrained its extremely unlikely to happen imo.