Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: What should the Timberwolves do with the #3 Pick?

Quote Originally Posted by starface
    anyone who makes oj mayo their starting franchise point guard is making a huge mistake.

it makes you wonder, when GM's select guys like Carmelo ANthony and OJ Mayo, if they even watch the NBA Finals, or have any idea who is winning them?

Look at the rosters of teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Heat, and Pistons when they won their titles. It's nearly unanimously high bball IQ's, responsible, mature adults, and hard working, team-oriented players.

it's not allen iverson wearing a doo-rag and blowing off practice, it's not carmelo anthony smiling and walking back on defense when his team is down 24 points in the playoffs. it's not zach randolph getting into fights with teammates on the sidelines and then hogging the ball when he gets in the game. oj mayo may not be a punk to the extent of those guys, altho he does have some character questions, but anyone who plays point guard and looks to score first and jack up shots, immediately in my book is a dud and i would keep them off my team. it shows a lack of basketball IQ and team-mentality.

i mean, i honestly dont understand how GM's STILL arent getting the picture? why do they keep drafting guys who clearly have low-bball IQ and almost no professionalism and maturity to speak of. those guys DO NOT WIN.

its seriously baffling

The thing is, most of these guys are SO young. At 18-22 years of age some of these players obviously have a lot of maturing to do and frankly may be worth the risk. Yeah Melo may me a bit of a head-case but the talent is there, given a good coach and a veteran group around him he may turn things around. I didn't have the privilege of keeping up with Mayo during the year, but what leads you to believe he is lacking in the bball IQ department?

Quote Originally Posted by ChiBulls7
    but what leads you to believe he is lacking in the bball IQ department?
    He's a shoot-first point guard.

Anyone who looks for their own shot first when playing the PG position in my book has a low bball IQ

He's a shoot-first point guard.

Anyone who looks for their own shot first when playing the PG position in my book has a low bball IQ

Could he potentially play SG? Like I said I didn't watch Mayo, but being 6'5 i'd say he's got great size for a SG.

I think they will go with brook lopez, however i think Mayo would be a great pick here...

Al Jefferson and OJ mayo, backcourt frontcourt dynamic duo waiting to happen

anyone who makes oj mayo their starting franchise point guard is making a huge mistake.

it makes you wonder, when GM's select guys like Carmelo ANthony and OJ Mayo, if they even watch the NBA Finals, or have any idea who is winning them?

Look at the rosters of teams like the Spurs, Lakers, Heat, and Pistons when they won their titles. It's nearly unanimously high bball IQ's, responsible, mature adults, and hard working, team-oriented players.

it's not allen iverson wearing a doo-rag to a press conference and blowing off practice, it's not carmelo anthony smiling and walking back on defense when his team is down 24 points in the playoffs. it's not zach randolph getting into fights with teammates on the sidelines and then hogging the ball when he gets in the game. oj mayo may not be a punk to the extent of those guys, altho he does have some character questions, but anyone who plays point guard and looks to score first and jack up shots, immediately in my book is a dud and i would keep them off my team. it shows a lack of basketball IQ and team-mentality.

i mean, i honestly dont understand how GM's STILL arent getting the picture? why do they keep drafting guys who clearly have low-bball IQ and almost no professionalism and maturity to speak of. those guys DO NOT WIN.

its seriously baffling
    i agree with this dude

OJ Mayo will put up stats, and be a great INDIVIDUAL player... but if his individual talents don't make him a Superstar/MVP type player his team will go nowhere, at best first round exits

Quote Originally Posted by ChiBulls7
    Could he potentially play SG? Like I said I didn't watch Mayo, but being 6'5 i'd say he's got great size for a SG.
    If any teams smart that's exactly what they'll do. I guess i can see why they'd try him as a PG, but unless he plays spectacular at that position, SG is where he should be.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Take Bayless, get rid of Telfair..

If they're smart?

Kevin Love.

Very good NBA starter

brook lopez is a poor man's charlie villanueva. you don't waste a #3 pick on something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    brook lopez is a poor man's charlie villanueva. you don't waste a #3 pick on something like that.

Brook Lopez reminds me of a younger version of Danny Ferry, the 2nd overall in the 1989 Draft.

I am sure he is going to be a much better GM than Ferry in the future.

Ferry's NCAA Stats

22.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 4.7 apg

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

Brook Lopez reminds me of a younger version of Danny Ferry, the 2nd overall in the 1989 Draft.

I am sure he is going to be a much better GM than Ferry in the future.

Ferry's NCAA Stats

22.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 4.7 apg
    Ferry's GM Stats
    171 - 121 58%

Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

First off...OJ Mayo's basketball IQ is very high. He will surprise all the doubters. Put him on a secure team with good coaches and watch him blossom.

Brooke Lopez at 3 is too rich for my blood. But all things point to him. Young team with time to develop. Al Jeff is more comfy at 4. Mccants, brewer, jaric and gomes improved development as a shooting forward gives space to only a center. I personally don't like this way of thinking. Its has lead to some of the worst picks in NBA history. Olowakandi, Benoit benjamin, sampson, bogut, Bargiani, Kwame brown, milicic...where all selected as high picks because of their enormous size. Teams passed on more talented smaller players because of their height.

I do like Lopez to a point. But #3 is too high. Mayo has much more talent that Lopez. Kevin Love is another player who is high skilled who is being overlooked.

Randy Foye is turning out to be a decent shooting point guard. His knee injury...postponed his development some. He played well late in the season with good assist numbers on a crappy offensive team.

Foye put up respectable assist to turnover numbers late in the season. 3:1 in the last 3 weeks. dropping anywhere from 4-9 assists on any given night. Also his turnovers were becoming less and less as he played more. And his shooting numbers are great. 45% is decent. 47% is great. 50+ is excellent. Foye shot 45% with 90% fts down the stretch promising numbers for a somebody who spent most of the season out.

I wouldn't completely say the Foye for Roy trade was terrible. Foye is a legit promising player. No longer a prospect. Dest-Roy-er is a baller though. So far the blazer are the clear winner in that trade. At least Foye isn't a bust.

Good High School Starter

hatch eggs.

Mayo and Jefferson could be something like Kobe/Shaq! Of course neither will ever be as good, but I like the idea. T'wolves should explore trades for Foye, McCants and Jaric, Draft Mayo, Re-sign Telfair and sign a center. This team could make some noise for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    Take Bayless, get rid of Telfair..
    Bayless to the Knicks hopefully!