NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default British pound going nuts. 57% of Britain wants to ban the niqab.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...nufacturing-d/

Britain's liberal elite has worked themselves into a frenzy after French policemen sought to enforce the law on a beach in Nice. The moment, caught on camera, was a consequence of France's burkini ban, which they decided was not on.

But did they stop to ask what the general public thinks? Clearly not, as it turns out Britons tend not to share their outrage about the idea of curbing the wearing of Muslim clothing, be it a burkini swimsuit or the burka full body-covering. A YouGov survey found that a majority of voters (57 per cent) supported banning the burka in public places, while 25 per cent were against outlawing it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-liberal-elit/

Note: That many Britains incorrectly know the niqab as a "burka" because that's what women mostly wear there.

I'm against banning the niqab or niqab in any area that doesn't already prohibit masks being worn. IMO if you are allowed to wear a mask, you should definitely have the freedom to wear the niqab.

But does it appear Britain might be on the verge of revolutionary change? Up until the Brexit vote, the future wasn't looking so bright.

Default Re: British pound going nuts. 57% of Britain wants to ban the niqab.

If its a safety issue, it needs to go.

If it's not a safety issue, wear what you want. Hell, wear a hoodie and sweatpants in the water if you want. If wearing a bed sheet is their thing... knock yourself out.

Just dont put the hood up over your face and walk around all day like that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

London has CCTV everywhere for security purposes so I wouldn't be surprised if they banned it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    London has CCTV everywhere for security purposes so I wouldn't be surprised if they banned it.
    Do you know who the London mayor is? Dude has Muslim Brotherhood ties. I don't know how UK law works, but London is not going to be creating any anti-niqab laws any time soon.

I thought the "burkini ban" thing was stupid. This however is different. People walking around with masks on at all times is a line too far.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I thought the "burkini ban" thing was stupid. This however is different. People walking around with masks on at all times is a line too far.
    I think it is very regressive and authoritarian to say what people cannot wear. This is a slippery slope once this path is chosen...

And let's be real here. Muslim females going around all covered up hasn't violated the safety of innocent people to the extent required for authoritarian actions like banning an item of clothing.

I don't like those garbs any more than you do - I find them extremely insulting to the woman, AND to me, since they hide the woman from me as if I'm some predator or mouth-breather that goes after anything perceptibly female. I stand strongly against the values that lead to this garb, and the proliferation of those values around the world. But I hope society fights those values in the market of public opinion and discourse, not by ham-fisted authoritarian actions.

no?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Do you know who the London mayor is? Dude has Muslim Brotherhood ties. I don't know how UK law works, but London is not going to be creating any anti-niqab laws any time soon.
    Sadiq Khan is one of the most mainstream personalities in British politics.

He's a bit too New Labour for my taste, but he has one great thing going for him: he's hated by both hardcore Islamists and far-right nutjobs... if those are your two enemies (especially both at the same time, which is rare... usually those who speak out against the rabid right are afraid to call out Islamists, and vice versa), you must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Sadiq Khan is one of the most mainstream personalities in British politics.

He's a bit too New Labour for my taste, but he has one great thing going for him: he's hated by both hardcore Islamists and far-right nutjobs... if those are your two enemies (especially both at the same time, which is rare... usually those who speak out against the rabid right are afraid to call out Islamists, and vice versa), you must be doing something right.
    That isn't rare at all.

Islamists are far-right muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    I think it is very regressive and authoritarian to say what people cannot wear.
    That ship has already sailed. You can't wear a shirt but no pants and walk around with your **** and balls exposed. Women can't wear shirts with nipple holes cut out. In most European countries, you can't wear a shirt that says "the holocaust never happened". In Germany you can't wear a swastika shirt. In America, schools can ban American flag shirts. Do you think a kid would be allowed to go to school dressed in a hooded KKK robe?

We already have laws telling people what they can and can't wear.

And let's be real here. Muslim females going around all covered up hasn't violated the safety of innocent people to the extent required for authoritarian actions like banning an item of clothing.
    Yeah, actually they have. They used burkas to sneak weapons into that club in Paris where they tortured and killed 130 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    I think it is very regressive and authoritarian to say what people cannot wear. This is a slippery slope once this path is chosen...

I don't like those garbs any more than you do - I find them extremely insulting to the woman, AND to me, since they hide the woman from me as if I'm some predator or mouth-breather that goes after anything perceptibly female. I stand strongly against the values that lead to this garb, and the proliferation of those values around the world. But I hope society fights those values in the market of public opinion and discourse, not by ham-fisted authoritarian actions.

no?

Try again.

I'm not surprised. When I got back to Tooting (Sadiq's old constituency btw) from Miami just over a week ago, it was like a shock to the system; i haven't really lived here for a few years, and it seems to have got worse (or I just got accustomed to not be confronted by veiled women at a higher rate than in many muslim countries). Not that the gross fatness and ugliness of the rest of the population was much better...

A few veiled women aren't a big deal, but when one is surrounded by them, it does just create an unpleasant environment, and I see no reason why people should have to put up with it to accommodate culturally incompatible foreigners. I completely understand why Brits and Frenchies are fed up with it (Americans don't, because you guys just do not have many muslims like this).

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    That ship has already sailed. You can't wear a shirt but no pants and walk around with your **** and balls exposed. Women can't wear shirts with nipple holes cut out. In most European countries, you can't wear a shirt that says "the holocaust never happened". In Germany you can't wear a swastika shirt. In America, schools can ban American flag shirts. Do you think a kid would be allowed to go to school dressed in a hooded KKK robe?

We already have laws telling people what they can and can't wear.

Yeah, actually they have. They used burkas to sneak weapons into that club in Paris where they tortured and killed 130 people.
    First paragraph: I don't support most of the things you noted there... you should be allowed to wear a KKK outfit but that's cuz your ass will get beaten so market forces solve that. So yes your point is valid, but it's like two wrongs making a right to me. and, funnily enough, you pointing to other examples of it happening as a defense of it happening here is proof of the slipper slope nature.

your last paragraph: my bad didnt know that. although, to continue defending how they arent dangerous enough to warrant banning, the orlando shooter got large guns, multiple guns, into the club, without a burka. just thinkin out loud here. id still argue that burkas have not been abused enough to warrant banning.

jeez, went to shop this morning to get some milk, turned around, and came face to face (not literally) with a gigantically fat ninja.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    jeez, went to shop this morning to get some milk, turned around, and came face to face (not literally) with a gigantically fat ninja.
    Well at least she covered her fatty rolls up.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

Try again.
    At what, making you understand the logic? :P

my point is, I dont want authoritarian actions. Because one day, the pendulum will swing and MY actions, behaviours, thoughts, will be the ones getting banned. Imagine if hillary wins and bans basketball cuz it began inciting hatred in a few retards who didnt like black people, citing things like burka bans. extreme example but you get my point

in a world of 7 billion, a terrorist attack thatr killed 121, which was potentially/likely still possible even without burkas being involved, isnt enough to start me down that slippery slope

thoughts?