Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Can My Children Be Friends With White People?

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/o...ald-trump.html

My oldest son, wrestling with a 4-year-old’s happy struggles, is trying to clarify how many people can be his best friend. “My best friends are you and Mama and my brother and …” But even a child’s joy is not immune to this ominous political period. This summer’s images of violence in Charlottesville, Va., prompted an array of questions. “Some people hate others because they are different,” I offer, lamely. A childish but distinct panic enters his voice. “But I’m not different.”

It is impossible to convey the mixture of heartbreak and fear I feel for him. Donald Trump’s election has made it clear that I will teach my boys the lesson generations old, one that I for the most part nearly escaped. I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

Meaningful friendship is not just a feeling. It is not simply being able to share a beer. Real friendship is impossible without the ability to trust others, without knowing that your well-being is important to them. The desire to create, maintain or wield power over others destroys the possibility of friendship. The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous dream of black and white children holding hands was a dream precisely because he realized that in Alabama, conditions of dominance made real friendship between white and black people impossible.

History has provided little reason for people of color to trust white people in this way, and these recent months have put in the starkest relief the contempt with which the country measures the value of racial minorities. America is transfixed on the opioid epidemic among white Americans (who often get hooked after being overprescribed painkillers — while studies show that doctors underprescribe pain medication for African-Americans). But when black lives were struck by addiction, we cordoned off minority communities with the police and threw away an entire generation of black and Hispanic men.

Likewise, despite centuries of exclusion and robust evidence of continuing racism, minority underemployment is often couched in the language of bad choices and personal responsibility. When systemic joblessness strikes swaths of white America, we get an entire presidential campaign centered on globalization’s impact on the white working class. Even the nerve of some rich or visible African-Americans to protest that America, in its laws and in its police, has rarely been just to all has been met with the howls of a president who cannot tolerate that the lucky and the uppity do not stay in their place.

As against our gauzy national hopes, I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible. When they ask, I will teach my sons that their beautiful hue is a fault line. Spare me platitudes of how we are all the same on the inside. I first have to keep my boys safe, and so I will teach them before the world shows them this particular brand of rending, violent, often fatal betrayal.

Let me assure you that my heartbreak dwarfs my anger. I grew up in a classic Midwestern college town. With all its American faults, it was a diverse and happy-childhood kind of place, slightly dull in the way that parents wish for their children. If race showed in class lines, school cliques and being pulled over more often, our little Americana lacked the deep racial tension and mistrust that seem so hard to escape now.

What’s surprising is that I am heartbroken at all. It is only for African-Americans who grew up in such a place that watching Mr. Trump is so disorienting. For many weary minorities, the ridiculous thing was thinking friendship was possible in the first place. It hurts only if you believed friendship could bridge the racial gorge.

Of course, the rise of this president has broken bonds on all sides. But for people of color the stakes are different. Imagining we can now be friends across this political line is asking us to ignore our safety and that of our children, to abandon personal regard and self-worth. Only white people can cordon off Mr. Trump’s political meaning, ignore the “unpleasantness” from a position of safety. His election and the year that has followed have fixed the awful thought in my mind too familiar to black Americans: “You can’t trust these people.”

The more important question is, if I wrote an op-ed titled 'can my children be friends with black people', would the NYTimes run it?

I doubt it.

You know what they say, history repeats itself:

UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH

Default Re: Can My Children Be Friends With White People?

White Liberals want the destruction of the White race. They really do hate themselves that much.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

the movie GET OUT suggests it's a bad idea.

So idk... maybe the author is on to something here.

They are working overtime to trigger me...

and I think... last night, it finally happened.

this has gotten ridiculous.

Luckily I'm a man of peace... try to be.

We're going to have to learn how to ignore the media. Alternative & Mainstream.

So good luck to everyone... and take care of your neighbors.

Don't get triggered like me.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

In America, it's ok to be racist if it's against white people.
hold this L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Keep your children away from white people. They suck.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
In America, it's ok to be racist if it's against white people.

meanwhile in Poland...

They are ready for history's repetitive nature.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible.

Racism is taught.

*insert liberal cheers*
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Racism is taught.

*insert liberal cheers*

what kind of doubts?

profound doubts.

I need to start using that word more.

that article was profoundly stereotypical.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Can we be friends with Muslims? Or will that taint your legacy at the rallies?
imdaman99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
falc39
National High School Star

Surprisingly a fairly well-written article. I agree with only some of it. This is what you get when you have multiple divisive presidents and an increasing push of escalating tribalism and collectivism in our politics. This is the result of our problems, not the cause, and it's a ****ing shame it has gotten to this point.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99

Sure, once they assimilate into Western culture and open themselves up to others besides their own. You would think that Muslims would want to assimilate just as rapidly as they wanted to leave their war-torn hellholes to get to American soil.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Ass Dan
LOL Maker, Intraweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
The more important question is, if I wrote an op-ed titled 'can my children be friends with black people', would the NYTimes run it?

I doubt it.

You know what they say, history repeats itself:

The Old Gray Lady publishing clickbait.

Sad
Ass Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:

That's iffy:

Quote:
Attacks on Coalition forces by Afghan forces — the so-called green-on-blue attacks — have emerged as a major threat in the 14-year-old war in Afghanistan. These attacks from within have increased dramatically between 2011 and 2013; in 2012 they accounted for 15% of Coalition deaths.

Quote:
The US military became so concerned with the green-on-blue attacks in 2012 that it ordered units to designate “guardian angels” in each unit whose job is to provide security for troops working with Afghans. In mid-August, field commanders were told they can increase the number of “guardian angels” depending on the tactical situation, Reuters reported.

I did that on two separate occasions. We had ANA troops working with US Army troops to build a FOB, and I had to sit there with a rifle and watch these Afghans for 8 hours to make sure they didn't shoot any of our troops in the back.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Back In Shape
Good High School Starter

Quote:

As long as Muslims are treated MUCH better in Christian, atheist and Jewish dominated nations than Christians, atheists and Jews are treated in Muslim dominated countries, you have little to complain about.

Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
red1
GOAT franchise

what the hell's wrong with people. people who generalize should not be allowed to parent in the first place. that author is a law professor that lives in New York and he's writing like he lives in rural alabama
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: