Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Judaism vs Christianity in Hip Hop - Matisyahu vs. Lecrae - Who Wins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9fywsHqwg
    "ON NATURE" Matisyahu, DP Dave Holmes & PS22 Chorus at 92nd Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEXwxbarTQ
    Matisyahu Motivate (Lyrics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsbR6PEzssc
    "Mist Rising" - Matisyahu, Live at Stubb's Vol II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFWgvkTNLo
    Lecrae - No Regrets ft Suzy Rock - Lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoDzSfpXMY
    Lecrae- Gotta Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHlxQnr9Y0g
    Will You Take Me As I Am - Lecrae

This is a very good matchup....

Default Re: Judaism vs Christianity in Hip Hop - Matisyahu vs. Lecrae - Who Wins?

Matisyahu looks nothing like that now.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Default Re: Judaism vs Christianity in Hip Hop - Matisyahu vs. Lecrae - Who Wins?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Just looke him up. Holy shit.

Matisyahu's "One Day" was the therapy that got me through my masochistic marathon NBA 2K10 sessions. That game was so broken but every time I got down... his song would motivate me once again.

I saw this quote/pic and I thought to myself: Who the f*ck is that?

NBA rookie of the year

Matisyahu is one very talented and fascinating figure, he has some really bad ass songs and some of them beats are crazy good.

But at the same time, it's hard to like Matisyahu with his garbage zionist lyrics but yeah, he's a skilled musician.

And it's not only Matisyahu, I have a hard time with plenty of musicians who mix up music and religion. Haven't heard about the other guy but I won't probably like him either.

I have plenty of his instrumentals and if he's the one who's making the beats, then he's even more talented because they are sick.

But as far as I know the dude is still a vegan so I like him for that.
    Last edited by millwad; 12-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Matisyahu is one very talented and fascinating figure, he has some really bad ass songs and some of them beats are crazy good.

But at the same time, it's hard to like Matisyahu with his garbage zionist lyrics but yeah, he's a skilled musician.

And it's not only Matisyahu, I have a hard time with plenty of musicians who mix up music and religion. Haven't heard about the other guy but I won't probably like him either.

I have plenty of his instrumentals and if he's the one who's making the beats, then he's even more talented because they are sick.

You really may just have a problem with Jews. I've never seen anyone think of him and say something like "garbage zionist lyrics". Most of what he sings are peace love and chill. That you saw that particular thing when thinking of him first and foremost is strange to me.

You consistently come across as a moron. Matisyahu was inspired by reggae and bob marley. Do you think Bob Marley is a Zionist too? The Zion he talks about is a spiritual land, I don't know how you let your political bias get in the way of enjoying quality music....

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You consistently come across as a moron. Matisyahu was inspired by reggae and bob marley. Do you think Bob Marley is a Zionist too? The Zion he talks about is a spiritual land, I don't know how you let your political bias get in the way of enjoying quality music....
    Matisyahu has had fairly open disagreements with his religion about a lot of things too. You can listen to him talk and see anything that is related to exclusion, etc. is not what he is about. Part of him shaving his beard was related to not wanting to cause issues with his own sect while also not comprimising his own thoughts.

To get anything out of his work that reeks of exclusion, racism in any form etc. is beyond me. You'd only find that if you searched for it and assumed it.

NBA rookie of the year

You really may just have a problem with Jews. I've never seen anyone think of him and say something like "garbage zionist lyrics". Most of what he sings are peace love and chill. That you saw that particular thing when thinking of him first and foremost is strange to me.
    I do have as much problem with jews as I do with muslims, mormons and christians. I don't like religion mixed with music and

Like his "Jerusalem" song, "Rebuild the temple" and "Three thousand years with no place to be/they want us to give up our milk and honey". Their milk and honey? THEY?

Maybe I'm overthinking some of his lyrics but knowing where he stands it's hard not to.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You seem to be mature.

I don't have a political bias, read the post above. I don't have a bias at all regarding politics. If so I wouldn't be criticising Sweden the way I do, I'm the least proud swede there is and patriotism doesn't exist in my mind. And if there would be any truth to your claim, then I would be more biased towards Israel considering that I can relate with Israelis and jewish people way more then arabs and muslims. Don't mix it up. And bottom line, I don't like it when music is mixed up with religion, I think religion is nonsense and it has nothing to do with Matisyahu being jewish.
    Last edited by millwad; 12-05-2012 at 04:17 PM.

I do have as much problem with jews as I do with muslims, mormons and christians. I don't like religion mixed with music and

Like his "Jerusalem" song, "Rebuild the temple" and "Three thousand years with no place to be/they want us to give up our milk and honey". Their milk and honey? THEY?

Maybe I'm overthinking some of his lyrics but knowing where he stands it's hard not to.
    This. The man's political slant is basically "let's all love each other and not exclude anyone". This is a man who sought out a part of culture that is primarily black belonging to a part of a religion whose sect just by it's nature excludes outsiders from things. I honestly feel bad for you if what you get from Matisyahu is "evil zionist".

I think you need to spend some time with a larger variety of people because you come across as someone who is excluded from a lot of people because you are quick to look for things that match what are bad stereotypes.

No hate, but it just stood out to me because you could get 100 people and say Matisyahi and do work association and i don't think more than 1 of them would say "zionist".

Not your average OWL onewickedlady's Avatar

Garbage Zionist lyrics. Hmmm. So do you dislike Christian rock and Christian ballads, too? Or is it just your hatred for Jewish people--like me? Have you forgotten that Jesus was a Jew? He and by extension Christianity are founded upon Jewish values, teachings and traditions. Christians see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Old Testament messiah while Jews like myself interpret Scripture differently. For a Christian to hate Jews is like any person hating their ancestors who were the context for their own development. While I do not accept Jesus as my messiah I certainly stand in awe of him and his teachings and good works. Millwad, how do you think it would go over on the Bobcats Forum if everyone there read your comments about Garbage Zionist Lyrics. No one on that forum is Jewish but they would still take offense to any attitude of hatred.

How do we expect society to be any different than it is if we degrade/denounce people whose beliefs are different from ours. If you want respect for who you are then you need to give respect to others so that you can earn respect. People's beliefs are a part of the fabric of what makes up our souls and the very cells of our body/mind. You also obviously have your beliefs that are as much a part of who you are as other's beliefs are a part of who we are and in American society we have the right to express who we are. As human beings we all deserve to be viewed with basic human dignity unless we have destructive and hateful attitudes such as some of those that you yourself express.

I say all this to hopefully open you and your heart up so that you embrace rather than castigate the beliefs, identity and dignity of basically good people.
    Last edited by onewickedlady; 12-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

This. The man's political slant is basically "let's all love each other and not exclude anyone". This is a man who sought out a part of culture that is primarily black belonging to a part of a religion whose sect just by it's nature excludes outsiders from things. I honestly feel bad for you if what you get from Matisyahu is "evil zionist".

I have never said he's an "evil zionist", I don't consider zionists to be evil to start with. What are you even saying? I think plenty of jamaican reggae artists are shallow, racist and garbage, what are you even saying?

I think you need to spend some time with a larger variety of people because you come across as someone who is excluded from a lot of people because you are quick to look for things that match what are bad stereotypes.

Ehm, that's the complete opposite. I grew up in a pretty rich neighborhood in Sweden, almost everyone were ethnic swedes and so were the kids at my school. I went the direct opposite way, I grew up playing basketball and in Sweden the most kids who play are from other countries. Kids with parents from Africa, Middle east, East Asia.. A majority of my friends have non-swedish parents and during the most year when I played I was the only kid with swedish parents. That's a bogus and offensive claim. Think about what you say.

No hate, but it just stood out to me because you could get 100 people and say Matisyahi and do work association and i don't think more than 1 of them would say "zionist".
    That was a nasty claim, think about what you write. I have never mixed up religion with my posts about Israel. You're reaching but at the same time you're the same dude who wrote that I wrote "racist stuff about jews" in a discussion before when I didn't even mention Judaism.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedlady
    Garbage Zionist lyrics. Hmmm. So do you dislike Christian rock and Christian ballads, too? Or is it just your hatred for Jewish people--like me? Have you forgotten that Jesus was a Jew? He and by extension Christianity are founded upon Jewish values, teachings and traditions. Christians see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Old Testament messiah while Jews like myself interpret Scripture differently. For a Christian to hate Jews is like any person hating their ancestors who were the context for their own development. While I do not accept Jesus as my messiah I certainly stand in awe of him and his teachings and good works. Millwad, how do you think it would go over on the Bobcats Forum if everyone there read your comments about Garbage Zionist Lyrics. No one on that forum is Jewish but they would still take offense to any attitude of hatred.
    Yes, I dislike music where religion is mixed up with the lyrics, I'm an atheist and I 'm no believer.

I don't have any hatred towards jews, what a stupid and immature claim.
    And my comments about zionist lyrics was mostly based on his song "Jerusalem" when he makes a distinction a la "they wanting us to give up our milk and honey"-nonsense in a song about Jerusalem. The message is pretty clear and you may want to deny what he is saying but to the rest of us it's pretty damn clear and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth in all honesty. If he claims that he's no zionist, let him, but it still too far right-wing for my taste and I would have had the same feeling if it was about Sweden or any other country. Too much influence from patriotism and religion..

And yes, I have little faith in zionism and I have very little faith in other beliefs where people make a difference between people or where people have extreme beliefs.
    Last edited by millwad; 12-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.