Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858 ... LastLast

Default Re: Grand Theft Auto V discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CP3ALLDAY
    Never got to beat GTA 4...got bored after awhile lol...But I did beat Saints Row 3 in 2 days..
    I didn't beat it either. Got bored halfway through. It was the worst game of the franchise imo, terribly disappointing for me. Now I'm very excited about this next one, I hope it won't let me down

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    I didn't beat it either. Got bored halfway through. It was the worst game of the franchise imo, terribly disappointing for me. Now I'm very excited about this next one, I hope it won't let me down
    i never got too into the story. i was pretty deep into it but never ended up finishing it.

however everything else around the world is what made me continue to play. i spent countless hours just screwing around, doing little missions, finding a certain car, whatever. it was fantastic and hope nobody ever overlooks gta4 because they didnt like the main storyline.

Game was great and the multiplayer was fun even tho the use of turbo controllers invaded the lobbies. I beat it twice. Had no problem going thru it a second time. Toss in lost and damned plus ballad of gay tony (real good). It wasnt SA but still good. I hope they bring back cops n crooks in the new game.

Really interested to see what changes, enhancements were made in multiplayer.

GTA4 was the only reason I got an xbox 360. If not for this game I would have never got one. Crazy to think about that now.

From what I've read about GTA V it sounds awfully promising. It sounds like it'll be a million times better than IV.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

They're taking pre-orders for 9/17 now. I'll be putting mine in soon.

Seems weird for such a major release to be theoretically layed out only a few months before the release of the new systems that won't be backward comptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Seems weird for such a major release to be theoretically layed out only a few months before the release of the new systems that won't be backward comptable.
    Well, you know most of the sales of any title come within the first few months after the release, so maybe it's not so weird after all.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    Well, you know most of the sales of any title come within the first few months after the release, so maybe it's not so weird after all.
    But a game of this scope, a lot of people won't have it beaten by the time the new system's break. And they'll lose a lot of that word of mouth pub that comes after that first month.

And with people budgeting for the new systems. The younger gamers will be holding out for Christmas, and they'll very likely blow their XMas wad on the new system.

I don't know. It won't affect me, but I feel like it'll definitely affect the overall numbers. And god forbid that September date slips a month.

And mostly it seems odd to me that Rockstar wouldn't have developed this for the new hardware. I'm sure they were given the stuff to work with. And I'm surprised Sony/Microsoft didn't push Rockstar to make this a co-op release, because that would have been a perfect storm of sales.

I've put down $10 at GameStop for this. Seriously, I can't wait.

And those of you saying GTA IV was boring.. Wow! I've never heard/read that before. That game is so good that I've played it all the way through twice. The story line is great IMO, & all the small activities to do on the side kept me hooked for weeks, if not months.

I don't think I've dedicated more play time into one game than I did for GTA 4... Except maybe 2K13.

But a game of this scope, a lot of people won't have it beaten by the time the new system's break. And they'll lose a lot of that word of mouth pub that comes after that first month.

And with people budgeting for the new systems. The younger gamers will be holding out for Christmas, and they'll very likely blow their XMas wad on the new system.

I don't know. It won't affect me, but I feel like it'll definitely affect the overall numbers. And god forbid that September date slips a month.

And mostly it seems odd to me that Rockstar wouldn't have developed this for the new hardware. I'm sure they were given the stuff to work with. And I'm surprised Sony/Microsoft didn't push Rockstar to make this a co-op release, because that would have been a perfect storm of sales.
    Games this big never get released launch window. Rockstar sold 10 million copies of GTA4 during the first three months. Sony and Microsoft would be doing very well to put about half that many consoles on shelves during that period.

So really, best case scenario for them if they release GTA5 on the new systems? They sell less than half the games they would like to. The sales potential on the old consoles is simply so much higher.

The way I see it, the best way to handle this would be to release GTA5 on old gen as planned and then release a "complete edition" for the new consoles and PC a year or two years later. Sell the same game twice.

Isn't the new Xbox supposed to be backwards compatible?

Pre-ordered it a couple days ago! Been playing GTA 4 online with friends lately.

I rule the local playground Finn T-Mac's Avatar

Didn't see this posted already. These features will make this the best GTA ever, maybe best game ever........

Summary

Features

You can buy property; houses, garages, businesses and marinas can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.
    You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis, bike races and triathlons.
    iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club
    The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.
    A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover
    Liquor store and ATM robberies is possible.
    Side missions will be making a return. One would involve Michael in Vinewood Boulevard racing a starlet away from the paparazzi.
    Citizens will react to what you do, and if they see you robbing someone they could alert the police, film you, or even try to take you down themselves.
    Hunting animals.

Customization

Player customization - tattoos, haircuts, clothing
    Vehicle customization - paintjobs, wheels, window tints, grills, spoilers, along with robust performance upgrades to suspension, engine, brakes, and more that make meaningful changes to the way vehicles feel and handle
    Weapon customization - Silencers, scopes, extended mags, laser sights, and more

Police Encounters:

The classic wanted system will be making a return - with five stars instead of the usual six.

They make the police encounters sound better, too. In this new game, we can still try to escape the circular zone that flashes on the mini-map when cops come after our malcontent protagonist(s). But, this time, we'll be able to try to hide inside that alarm radius, if we'd like. The cops will use a line-of-sight system, so they won't just magically know where you are. If they have a helicopter in the sky, they'll be able to see plenty. And you'll see them use hand signals to communicate what they're doing.
    - Kotaku

Skill Categories:

Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.
    Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time
    Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly
    Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more
    Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little
    One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions

Map

Similar to previous GTAs, the map isn't landlocked (surrounded by water).
    The map 3.5 times the size of Red Dead Redemption in terms of playable area above ground. Five times if you count underwater area.
    The geographical scope is huge and spans:
    Mountains
    Rivers
    Lakes
    Military bases
    Farmland
    Desert
    Dense urban environments...and more
    An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
    A deer and a wildcat were spotted in the mountains.
    Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
    Shipwrecks, sharks, hidden treasures and more could be found underwater
    The entire world is populated with fitting wildlife and inhabitants unique to specific areas

Heists/missions

'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.
    These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless. They'll require the right crew (which you can recruit) and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut of the money.
    These additional characters will be able to specialize in different areas such as wheelman, gunman, technician, and so on.
    Hiring the same crew members across several heists (assuming they survive) will allow their skills to improve
    There will be visual and audio alerts from your other characters so you're not completely caught off guard in case things get hairy.
    You can attack targets by stealth or brute force. This will affect the content of the heist.
    A huge payout to split between the crew
    After-action report that tallies your total cash haul, each surviving member's cut, and any profit you managed to earn

Refinements to combat:

Weapon selection has been overhauled: You now select your weapons from a weapon wheel.
    Fluidly run and gun from the hip while still maintaining complete control of the reticule
    'Combat jog' that allows you to move at high speeds with your weapon out, but not raised.
    Camera pulled back when zoomed in over the shoulder to open up players' field of vision
    Combat roll to move strategically from cover and evade incoming fire
    Reticule switches from white to red to identity an enemy
    Tiny 'X' flashes over the reticule when targeted enemy is killed
    Variable targeting options including free aim, soft lock, and hard lock (similar to Max Payne 3)
    Smoother transitions when moving in and out of cover

General

The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character
    Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving
    GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way
    Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"
    Pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of multiplayer.
    There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.
    Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTAV as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV
    There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.
    You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you
    Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you
    If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive
    Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.
    There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun
    There are some restrictions to character switching, such as how you can't abandon a character while you have a Wanted Level. Lose the heat first! The character selection meter will let you know when you can swap out.
    Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.

Fun Facts:

Franklin alone has more textures than the entire ped population of GTA: San Andreas
    Largest selection of vehicles in any GTA game
    Largest selection of weapons in any GTA game

Damn, I was aware of some of the activities, but robbing stores & ATMs? Deep sea exploration? Vehicle customization? This game definitely has GOAT potential written all over it!

Can anyone tell me if this game will still be playable offline? I'm hoping it's not required to be online at all times... I'm sure it's not, but you never know.

I've never been able to finish a gta game, they get boring. Red Dead was sooooo tight though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Damn, I was aware of some of the activities, but robbing stores & ATMs? Deep sea exploration? Vehicle customization? This game definitely has GOAT potential written all over it!

Can anyone tell me if this game will still be playable offline? I'm hoping it's not required to be online at all times... I'm sure it's not, but you never know.
    It's a console game so I don't think so...