Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

Default Really realistic to say that Griffey Jr. would be all-time HR leader if healthy?

For his whole career he averaged 121 games a season including his injury ravaged ones, so that number's even higher in his prime.

1995 (the wrist injury on a fantastic catch BTW) & 2001-2004 were the seasons in particular where the injuries were the worst & hurt his numbers some because they occured in his prime and then at the end of it. Not to mention the '94 lockout (no injury but he had 40 in just 111 games).

As it is Griffey has 630 homers, which had him 133 from breaking 762.

So if he plays even those average number of games, even just in those 5 years..do you think he eclipse Barry Bonds' 762 mark? I say yes..what do you say?

Banned

Default Re: Really realistic to say that Griffey Jr. would be all-time HR leader if healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandsteve
    For his whole career he averaged 121 games a season including his injury ravaged ones, so that number's even higher in his prime.

1995 (the wrist injury on a fantastic catch BTW) & 2001-2004 were the seasons in particular where the injuries were the worst & hurt his numbers some because they occured in his prime and then at the end of it. Not to mention the '94 lockout (no injury but he had 40 in just 111 games).

As it is Griffey has 630 homers, which had him 133 from breaking 762.

So if he plays even those average number of games, even just in those 5 years..do you think he eclipse Barry Bonds' 762 mark? I say yes..what do you say?
    It'd be close but Barry GOAT Bonds prevails if he plays in 2005 and if they didn't intentional walk him so ****ing many times. He was hitting near 50 homers a year while smashing intentional walking records.

Banned

Default Re: Really realistic to say that Griffey Jr. would be all-time HR leader if healthy?

No.

I somehow doubt it - Griffey missed most of those games towards the end of his career whe his hr numbers were on the downturn anyway.

Banned

I love the two way players of the past. Bonds is still my GOAT and Griffey is on top of my list too.

These guys can hit, run the bases, and most importantly Golden Glovers.

Off memory, I believe Bonds has 8 Golden Gloves.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

It was sort of just in the nature of the way that Griffey played that he was bound to get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    It was sort of just in the nature of the way that Griffey played that he was bound to get hurt.
    He wasn't really reckless but he went all out.

Banned

Baseball f*cking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    A little change of pace here.....

if bo jackson did not play baseball, and stayed relatively healthy his entire career, would he be the all time leading rusher?
    Yes. Hes easily the greatest running back of all time/leading rusher if he stays healthy and has a long career. Another one if Barry Sanders didn't retire early would he be the all time leading rusher? I'd say yeah.

Banned

if bo jackson did not play baseball, and stayed relatively healthy his entire career, would he be the all time leading rusher?
    Why does he have to quit baseball? His career was over due to a football injury. I think he still could have led in rushing while still playing baseball.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I'm not sure if he'd have been the all time HR leader, but I do think if he had stayed consistent and healthy we'd consider him one of the best 3 ever.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

He probably would've been, but as they say "that's why they play the games". Projections are worthless. Actual production >>>>>

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

What if Griffey juiced to the gills like Bonds? What if he used drugs to take his abilities beyond their natural limits, like Barry did? Would he own the HR records?

He hit 56 as a lithe 27-year old, after all. Bonds never sniffed that Pre-BALCO.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Not a chance--he was already 28 when he suffered his injury and wasn't even close to the record. Wasn't even close to 5000 career yards, actually.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

I think Bo Jackson sometimes is overrated. It's a shame Marcus Allen was benched behind a two sport athlete just because Al Davis had ongoing beef with Marcus Allen. More power to Allen though for sticking through all those seasons of barely playing and still becoming a Hall of Famer. He wasn't the most talented/physically imposing RB but his stats are really solid and his career shows longevity.

Terrell Davis if he could stay healthy for another 5 seasons would have been a 10k-12k rushing yards type of RB. I remember watching a documentary about him and how statistically his 2000 yard season could have even been 2300-2500 yards. Granted for a 6th? round draft pick, the dude was a complete steal.