Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #31
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Re: JJ Hickson

My main concern with Hickson is like Mathius pointed out, others have pointed out, and media members have pointed out, is that he has demonstrated a poor work ethic. And MIKE BROWN is the one that is going to fix that?

Also, is there a single example in history of a player turning something like that around completely? That's not a game flaw that can be fixed. It's a personality flaw.

I just can't see him getting a lot of PT. We have a logjam at PF, with Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, and Anderson Varejao (when he gets minutes at the 4 as opposed to the 5).
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
My main concern with Hickson is like Mathius pointed out, others have pointed out, and media members have pointed out, is that he has demonstrated a poor work ethic. And MIKE BROWN is the one that is going to fix that?

Also, is there a single example in history of a player turning something like that around completely? That's not a game flaw that can be fixed. It's a personality flaw.

I just can't see him getting a lot of PT. We have a logjam at PF, with Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, and Anderson Varejao (when he gets minutes at the 4 as opposed to the 5).

Don't be bringing any logic into this thread MLH. You're just supposed to open your mouth and say the first thing that comes out.

Anyways, regarding your comment about a log jam at PF, didn't the Cavs draft another 2 PF's in the 2nd round? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

Poor work ethic? Didn't Hickson average 14/8 a game at North Carolina State? Those are good numbers for a freshman big man. If he wasn't working his hardest then, I'm sure an NBA contract will change that. The man still contributed, even with his "bad attitude" that no one has really seen first hand. Give the guy a chance before you make your decision on who he is.

Besides, since when do we believe "others" and the "media"? Reputations can simply be ruined in the eyes of the media if you piss the wrong person off somehow.

The Cav's will lose either Smith or Varejao before the start of the season.. Smith is old, Varejao and Wallace are basically a non-factor offensively. They need Hickson to get minutes. Something will give, LBJ wants to win, and his contract is coming to a close.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #34
*LeBron*23*
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JJ Hickson is a beast. I think he is more of a project. And might not be ready to start producing right away.
*LeBron*23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #35
abuC
Cuba

He's playing well, in his last 5 he's averaging 9ppg, 4.6rpg on 61% shooting in 18 mins.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #36
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
He's playing well, in his last 5 he's averaging 9ppg, 4.6rpg on 61% shooting in 18 mins.

And he's also exhibited the same poor work ethic and problems that were talked about when he was drafted.

Kid has a lot of athleticism and shows more offense than any rookie big man we've had since... Boozer maybe. But he's never going to develop if Mike Brown doesn't give him quality game time minutes.

I don't agree with the whole perform well in practice, earn game time system that Mike Brown is apparently running here, nor do I agree with his extreme loyalties when guys like Gibson need to be benched for poor play and development, but they're still out there because of their reputation.

But that's apparently the way it is, so Hickson needs to just deal with it, do what Mike Brown asks, and get his ass out there on the court.

Mathius
Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #37
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
And he's also exhibited the same poor work ethic and problems that were talked about when he was drafted.

Kid has a lot of athleticism and shows more offense than any rookie big man we've had since... Boozer maybe. But he's never going to develop if Mike Brown doesn't give him quality game time minutes.

I don't agree with the whole perform well in practice, earn game time system that Mike Brown is apparently running here, nor do I agree with his extreme loyalties when guys like Gibson need to be benched for poor play and development, but they're still out there because of their reputation.

But that's apparently the way it is, so Hickson needs to just deal with it, do what Mike Brown asks, and get his ass out there on the court.

Mathius

He's starting to get quality minutes, but I agree in the sense that it took an injury just for Hickson to see floortime which is poor coaching. He's already the 2nd best offensive big man on the team, so he needs as much time ont he floor as possible.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
shaoyut
National High School Star

Lets hope he gets traded for Amare
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #39
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoyut
Lets hope he gets traded for Amare

That is the dumbest f*cking thing I've heard all morning. Stoudemire is going to expire in 2010 and has shown no inclination towards the half court offense and pines for D'Antoni's run-n-gun bullsh*t.

Hickson on the other hand, has a tremendous upside, and he's in the first year of a rookie contract, meaning A. He's cheap and B. we have a very good chance of locking him into a long term contract.

Mathius
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #40
u83
I brick open layups

I just wanted to bump this thread to say, holy ****, Hickson is far worse than we ever could have imagined. We wasted like a month on him, and I feel he made us lose a couple of games. We could have a 70 win season if we would have sent Darnell in there instead of Hickson, the turnover machine who doesn't play defense.

Hickson doesn't know how to play basketball. Fact. All he can do is dunk if someone gives him the ball right under the basket. It would be a lot easier to make Darnell Jackson how to be as athletic as Hickson than to teach Hickson how to do basically everything.
u83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #41
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u83
I just wanted to bump this thread to say, holy ****, Hickson is far worse than we ever could have imagined. We wasted like a month on him, and I feel he made us lose a couple of games. We could have a 70 win season if we would have sent Darnell in there instead of Hickson, the turnover machine who doesn't play defense.

Hickson doesn't know how to play basketball. Fact. All he can do is dunk if someone gives him the ball right under the basket. It would be a lot easier to make Darnell Jackson how to be as athletic as Hickson than to teach Hickson how to do basically everything.

You have to remember JJ is only 20. He only spent one year in college. Jackson spent 4. Of course he has better defensive fundamentals. But his upside isn't that great. I don't see how Jackson could be significantly better than he is right now. JJ on the other hand has a lot of potential.
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #42
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Lol at lebron 23 saying that Lebron, Gibson and Hickson is the next great trio
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #43
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Lol at lebron 23 saying that Lebron, Gibson and Hickson is the next great trio
It's more like LeBron, Mo, Delonte, but hopefully Gibson will be healthy + ready next year and Hickson is fully developed.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: