Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Carter reportedly staying in NJ

Quote:
Carter reportedly agrees to $61.8 million contract
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 1, 2007, 4:02 PM ET

Carter
Vince Carter apparently is keeping Vinsanity in New Jersey.

The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Carter, who opted out of the final year of his contract which called for a $16.3 million salary next season, has agreed to a four-year, $61.8 million contract with the Nets. The contract with the team holds an option for a fifth year.

The deal will not be official until July 11 when free-agent deals can be signed.

What are your thoughts on this? I personally think that VC is good, but not good enough to make the nets a championship team or even a finals team. Anyways, this proposed 4 year 61.8 million dollar contract would give him less ($15.45 million a year) then what was guaranteed to him, but it also ensures him that he will be overcompensated well into his 30's. So basically, the Nets are in a position where either they win now, or they have a 34 year old Carter with a contract that nobody will want to take on. Oh well, we'll wait and see what happens.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
gigantes
   

Default Re: Carter reportedly staying in NJ

it worked out beautifully IMO.

if carter had been like almost every other star he would have demanded a max or near-max contract.

$15+mil/year is very reasonable for someone of his skill level, and the contract is not a franchise-breaker even if his athleticism falls off the map in a couple of years. also, no way the nets get equal value if they had been forced to do a sign-and-trade.

assuming this is finalised, it's another very positive move by both thornski and by carter.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

I also think Vince Carter cannot single handedly lead the Nets to a title...

but who can? the problem with the team lies in the frontcourt. Vince Carter provides the bulk scoring and drawing of double teams. hell, if we had Krstic in the Cavaliers series, then Carter would not have seen so many triple teams and Krstic could have lured ilgauskas away from the paint so Carter would not have had to run into him and attempt difficult shots each time.

so since the Nets have no cap space to speak of, let Ratner pay Carter to make Carter happy and motivated (and in a way, atone for his past mistake of letting Kenyon Martin go for salary slashing purposes)
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

It was pretty much a done deal from the beginning. Vince likes it here, the Nets want to keep him, Kidd wants him back, Orlando no longer wants him. So, Vince stays.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Belizario
I usually hit open layups

i guess they'll give it another try... maybe with Nenad they'll get some pressure off carter and rj on the offensive end.
Belizario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Ok, so here's my thoughts on the matter. The NJ nets, with a healthy big 4, have a good a shot as any (in the east) at making it to the NBA finals. However, they don't have that one player (Vince included) that is gonna take them there. There team is entirely based around the big 4, so much that a significant injury to even one of them will dash their chances at making it. Vince is a big piece of the puzzle, but he alone won't be able to do it by himself. This Nets team is a team that feeds off one another and it will take a collective effort to get it done. That said, if the big 4 can have a relatively injury free season, stay motivated and focused on the defenseive end, as well as give a full effort from the beginning, who's to say that couldn't have a title shot?

I also feel that Thorn pulled the deal out of respect to J-Kidd. He stayed loyal to the team even after they let go of K-Mart and Kittles, and they wanted to show him that they are still in it to win it now and not making him a part of the rebuilding process. Otherwise, he might have another Kobe on his hands.

I'm hoping for success and health of the Nets in the coming year, and I see them as a definite threat in the east.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
gigantes
   

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Ok, so here's my thoughts on the matter. The NJ nets, with a healthy big 4, have a good a shot as any (in the east) at making it to the NBA finals. However, they don't have that one player (Vince included) that is gonna take them there. There team is entirely based around the big 4, so much that a significant injury to even one of them will dash their chances at making it.
wow, i guess you missed all of last season.

the nets were missing their 'four' and yet came fairly close to beating the EC champions.

you also missed the fact that the nets bench played a a much bigger role last year than in previous years.

therefore my best wishes in being able to follow the NBA, since it seems that you receive your news from second-hand reports from third-world countries.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
wow, i guess you missed all of last season.

the nets were missing their 'four' and yet came fairly close to beating the EC champions.

you also missed the fact that the nets bench played a a much bigger role last year than in previous years.

therefore my best wishes in being able to follow the NBA, since it seems that you receive your news from second-hand reports from third-world countries.
You and your "what if's." I can play your little game too. If the Nets had beaten the Cavs, the Cavs wouldn't be the EC finals champion and they would've had to deal with Pistons.

There are NO CONSELLATION PRIZES in the NBA. Regardless of each excuse, each 'what if' scenario, and each reason you can come up with, Vince Carter has been with the Nets since the 04-05 season, and they have not made it past the second round since his arrival. First it was an injury to RJ, then a subpar performance from Krstic against the heat, and this year it was a subpar performance from the remaining big 3 and an injury to Krstic.

I wonder what your excuse will be if they don't make it next year. Also, even had they beaten the Cavs AND the Pistons, do you think that they could've beaten the Spurs?

And I guess you glanced over the fact that I said they have a good a shot as any to make it, but hey, I guess that doesn't count for anything because a person like you only looks at the negatives and can't handle an honest analysis of his home team.

Best wishes in trying to remove the homer glasses that are surgically attatched to your face.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
gigantes
   

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
There are NO CONSELLATION PRIZES in the NBA. Regardless of each excuse, each 'what if' scenario, and each reason you can come up with, Vince Carter has been with the Nets since the 04-05 season, and they have not made it past the second round since his arrival. First it was an injury to RJ, then a subpar performance from Krstic against the heat, and this year it was a subpar performance from the remaining big 3 and an injury to Krstic.
i don't need to excuse squat because i'm not trying to say the nets are better than they really are. you're the one obsessed over "consellation" prizes, lol.

even if the nets had everyone healthy in crunch time and are able to beat the cavs and pistons, we still prolly get whipped by whoever comes out of the west. that's a fact of the eastern conference.
Quote:
I wonder what your excuse will be if they don't make it next year. Also, even had they beaten the Cavs AND the Pistons, do you think that they could've beaten the Spurs?
of course not. the nets would have been hammered by the spurs and i would hope everyone realises that.

no reason to give an excuse = no excuse given.

understand now?
Quote:
And I guess you glanced over the fact that I said they have a good a shot as any to make it,
sorry, but i'm not looking for any encouragement from you. you're a person who has demonstrated several times that they are willing to critique without really understanding the situation.
Quote:
but hey, I guess that doesn't count for anything because a person like you only looks at the negatives and can't handle an honest analysis of his home team.
this sums up your ignorance fairly nicely. i am as merciless as it gets towards the home team in the midst of their longest winning streaks.

neither will you find me slumming in the lakers forums and pretending that i understand all the ins and outs of LA. if there's something i don't understand i prefer to observe and learn rather than flapping my piehole, something which you seem to need help with if your history of posts here is any example.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Ladies and Gentleman, the Gobb of the nets forum. :rollingeyes:

I guess outside opinions are not welcome in this forum.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
gigantes
   

you are free to post your opinions and people are free to respond, no?

my initial post to you was too strong, however, and i apologise. i guess the restlessness of the offseason is getting to me...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Haterofhaters, which team are you a fan of? Because for an outsider, you seem to post in the Nets forum a lot.

Not that I don't want you to post here. Actually, I would like more people to come. The more, the merrier.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

haterofhaters lives in the NYC metro area am I correct in saying that?

he has stated in the past he watched Nets games. so I think he is a fan of the Nets as well, just not a hardcore one.

of course, I may be wrong
Old 07-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

You know, I should just make a thread called "Who lives near NYC or Westchester County" and meet you all one day.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

that would be... weird... but yeah if we all go to a Nets game next season, why not?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: