Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 07-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
DowJones
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Will Vince Carter be back next year as a high flyer again?

I'm definitely concerned because as we all know, players tend to slack after signing that mega long term contract. At the same time 30 yrs old can still be considered in the prime of your career and I don't think VC's skills or athletic ability have declined as much as some others think. This contract scares me a bit and I still haven't forgotten his so-so performance in the playoffs....

Last edited by DowJones : 07-03-2007 at 12:30 AM.
DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #17
mr. chew
I usually hit open layups

i am not a fan of vince carter, and the person that is getting hurt by this is RJ. by resigning vince, we basically saying goodbye to RJ. right now, RJ is a more complete player, though not a better scorer, RJ is more efficient, a better defender, and a more RELIABLE option offensively because he actually takes it to the basket. vince's best days are behind him.
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #18
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh
haha that was funny.
funny because you agree or disagree. elaborate please?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #19
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. chew
i am not a fan of vince carter, and the person that is getting hurt by this is RJ. by resigning vince, we basically saying goodbye to RJ. right now, RJ is a more complete player, though not a better scorer, RJ is more efficient, a better defender, and a more RELIABLE option offensively because he actually takes it to the basket. vince's best days are behind him.
Mr. Chew makes a good point. I remember when R.J. came back from injury he was going to the hole strong. It's as if he had been watching the games while he was out and decided to lead by example. I noticed a slight change in Carters game when R.J proceeded to do that. Let's hope they all stay and Thorn works some of his magic. He is due by the way.
RichMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #20
Bashkim7191
Saw a basketball once

I remember when Jefferson was by himself, when Jason Kidd was hurt with is knee injuries, he is very capable of being an all star, but not to take anything away from him, it is because of Vince Carter. I honestly was a little worried when Vince Carter came to the Nets from the Raptors, i was afraid that Carter was going to effect the Nets chemistry. It also has been showing, before Carter ever came to the Nets, They made it to the finals. Yes, i know Kenyon Martin was there and Jason Kidd was in his best prime. But i honestly think if Carter was not on the team and the Nets moved in a different track to improve the team OVERALL not grabbing one SUPERSTAR. They would definitely be in better shape in my opinion. I do love Vince Carter as an athlete absolutely, but theres no way i can see him being a leader.
Bashkim7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #21
j Fresh
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
funny because you agree or disagree. elaborate please?

funny because that sounds true.
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #22
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Carter should attempt to overcome his mental weakness, and it doesn't matter whether he's still capable to be a tremendous flyer.

By the way, I'm currently 99.99 % sure that Carter will stay with the Nets.

Last edited by Kiddlovesnets : 07-03-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Kiddlovesnets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Carter should attempt to overcome his mental weakness, and it doesn't matter whether he's still capable to be a tremendous flyer.

By the way, I'm currently 99.99 % sure that Carter will stay with the Nets.
The thing with Carter, is that he's been in the league long enough that you just know it's something that'll never be "fixed." He is who he is, and you know up front what you're gonna get.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #24
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

I doesnt matter. As long as he drives to the rim more then jackin' 3's up Im happy. He doesnt have to be the '1/2 man 1/2 amazing' anymore
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #25
Belizario
I usually hit open layups

haha more like half man half season. Vince Carter has become pretty lazy. He needs to go to the basket, he doesn't have to dunk it or be explosive but just to get the job done. Plus, he'll be shooting at the charity stripe a lot more.

Anyway, the thing about RJ is that his ankle injury kind of effected his agility. He doesn't seem as agile as he was before. I love how RJ plays, he plays with all his heart. RJ's jumper has been improving which is good. That one year when RJ was alone, he was a show stopper on the defensive end. I think the statistics were 15 or 16 points allowed to a superstar he had to defend that year. That's amazing. But last year i didn't see that same defensive player. I'd like to see that defensive stopper once again.
Belizario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #26
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
As a Raptors fan, i've seen a lot of Vince's ups and downs. When he first became a net, his motivation came from proving to everyone that he wasn't the half-assed, crybaby that he was made out to be in Toronto. and he did so. Now, he is gonna be on the first year of a new contract that he'll be guaranteed 4 or 5 years, so I find it hard to believe that he is gonna put forth the same type of effort that he did in the 04' 05' season. I know that the optimist will say, "well he will be proving that he deserves his contract" but I really don't see it happening.

Maybe, maybe not. As a Nets fan, you have to believe in him to some degree, because he is our leading scorer.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #27
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Maybe, maybe not. As a Nets fan, you have to believe in him to some degree, because he is our leading scorer.
He's been the leading scorer of his team every year of his career so that point is irrelevant. I'm not saying that Vince is a bad player, it's just that often times his motivation seems to come from external factors instead of internal factors. The points will always be there, but it's how he gets those points that matters. Last season was an especially up and down season. The problem, as many of you guys have even stated, is that often times he went into jumpshooting mode. Sometimes it made him look spectacular when they were falling, and others, he had horrible nights of less than 20 points and horrible fg%. If he plays aggressively, and takes it to the basket, that changes the whole direction of the game and how it is played. So, as MTing said, as long as he does that, it'll be all good.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
j Fresh
Local High School Star

No more Vinsanity? Bummer!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #29
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

im in the camp that Carter is starting to lose his out of world athleticism.

why? he is passing on double teams he used to beat routinely in years past. plus, when going up against double teams and he forces the issue, he either cannot jump high enough or simply bumps into someone and the circus shot does not fall anymore.

but thankfully for him, his shooting is reliable to an extent and his playmaking abilities are also above average.

and Carter is no slouch on defense. he chases people over every screen and puts his hands and arms up. the problem is his lateral movement simply is not the best
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #30
j Fresh
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
im in the camp that Carter is starting to lose his out of world athleticism.

why? he is passing on double teams he used to beat routinely in years past. plus, when going up against double teams and he forces the issue, he either cannot jump high enough or simply bumps into someone and the circus shot does not fall anymore.

but thankfully for him, his shooting is reliable to an extent and his playmaking abilities are also above average.

and Carter is no slouch on defense. he chases people over every screen and puts his hands and arms up. the problem is his lateral movement simply is not the best

Yeah he's not the same I agree.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: