Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #31
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Default Re: Will Vince Carter be back next year as a high flyer again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
He's been the leading scorer of his team every year of his career so that point is irrelevant. I'm not saying that Vince is a bad player, it's just that often times his motivation seems to come from external factors instead of internal factors. The points will always be there, but it's how he gets those points that matters. Last season was an especially up and down season. The problem, as many of you guys have even stated, is that often times he went into jumpshooting mode. Sometimes it made him look spectacular when they were falling, and others, he had horrible nights of less than 20 points and horrible fg%. If he plays aggressively, and takes it to the basket, that changes the whole direction of the game and how it is played. So, as MTing said, as long as he does that, it'll be all good.

You missed the point. The reason I brought up that he is our leading scorer is that he contributes greatly to whether we win or lose by carrying the scoring load, and that we need him badly. Thus, giving up hope in him would essentially mean giving up hope in the team.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #32
elinss86
Decent playground baller

carter no longer has a explosive first step. he has trouble driving around ppl sometimes now. and also, whereas he could explode anytime in his toronto days and dunk and jump out of the gym, now its more like, he still got it, but can only bring it out once in a while.
elinss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #33
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
You missed the point. The reason I brought up that he is our leading scorer is that he contributes greatly to whether we win or lose by carrying the scoring load, and that we need him badly. Thus, giving up hope in him would essentially mean giving up hope in the team.
Alright, I see your point.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #34
Agent_Zero
Good college starter

in that dunk over weiss, he almost knocked KG the f.uck out
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #35
mr. chew
I usually hit open layups

yea, vince does carry the scoring load, but he also takes nearly 20 shots a game compared to RJ at around 11.... i always believed that this should be RJ's team. vince is a great scorer, no doubt about it, but when the chips are down, id rather the ball be in RJ's hands and not vince.
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #36
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. chew
yea, vince does carry the scoring load, but he also takes nearly 20 shots a game compared to RJ at around 11.... i always believed that this should be RJ's team. vince is a great scorer, no doubt about it, but when the chips are down, id rather the ball be in RJ's hands and not vince.
When it was RJ's team (when Kidd was injured and Vince wasn't there) he was scoring about 26 a game, but the team was losing.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #37
mr. chew
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
When it was RJ's team (when Kidd was injured and Vince wasn't there) he was scoring about 26 a game, but the team was losing.

umm. maybe cuz kidd was injured?
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #38
gigantes
   

yea, and they had also just lost two of their top defensive players in kmart and kittles as well as their sixth man, harris.

the remaining players were struggling to find their cohesion and effectiveness as a unit. it also didn't help that alonzo mourning was completely worthless and that mutombo's contract was still on the books IIRC.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #39
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters

22PPG on 41% shooting and 4TOPG

RJ is only shooting around 50% and sometimes getting 20 points on 11 shots because of Carter's drawing so much attention
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #40
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

to say Zo was worthless is not fair. sure he could only manage 25 minutes at most because of his frail body, but he did provide some scoring and rebounding and defense at the center position.

without a few of the games that he helped to win (albeit not many, but notably the battle of futility vs the Blazers that year, the 64-60 win) the Nets may not have even made the 8th seed that year and who knows? maybe the team gets blown up?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #41
gigantes
   

for around four years at $60 million he was a complete stiff IMO.

if there were any doubts about his condition before signing, instead of offering himself up as 'NBA-ready' he should have gone through more practice games to see whether his transplant could handle that. instead, he only played in a handful of games and then flamed out in season one. season two he didn't even show up IIRC. net result: he wound up ruining our cap flexibility for two seasons.

the worst thing in my mind is when he couldn't even be bothered to show up for the games to support the team from the bench. this was ostensibly for medical reasons, but i don't believe for a second that his body couldn't handle merely being around the guys to add his support. he still would have gotten his full and proper medical treatment even if he merely attended home games.

also, i felt bad for toronto when he refused to play for them. he went from sitting at home in 'grave condition' to playing hardcore minutes for miami virtually overnight. toronto wound up losing a fortune just to get his ill-contented ass off their roster.

this situation was much worse than what happened with magic johnson after he signed a huge contract and then quickly retired, taking all the money with him. at least buss was willing to do that because of how much magic had helped the lakers for so many years.

no, alonzo mourning took the money and ran like a thief in the night.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #42
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
also, i felt bad for toronto when he refused to play for them. he went from sitting at home in 'grave condition' to playing hardcore minutes for miami virtually overnight. toronto wound up losing a fortune just to get his ill-contented ass off their roster.

Alonzo Mourning is a greedy bastard. I cannot stand him as a player, or individual.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #43
j Fresh
Local High School Star

Quote:

Alonzo Mourning is a greedy bastard. I cannot stand him as a player, or individual.

Dude don't be immature yo.

He had a serious kidney disease and he came back (that should be enough inspiration). He's at the end of his career, do you think he wants to play for a crappy Toronto Raptors team who's best chances are for the lottery? What he did was wrong to not show up to Toronto, but he wanted to go to a contender.

Do I like him as a player? I hate the bastard! Love those videos of Vince Carter dunking on him.

However, he is a warrior and one of the greatest centers of all time.
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #44
gigantes
   

yea, that's another thing that's annoying about that idiot- seemingly every other time he makes a routine play, he then stands there, flexes his muscles and finds someone to glare at.

it's uncannily similar to all the defensive football players who make a routine tackle and then celebrate like they just won the super bowl.

i like what some sportwriter said about him a year or two ago- that even when mourning is 60 years old he'll still be flexing, pointing his finger in the air and glaring at his image in the mirror after every successful bowel movement.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #45
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh
Dude don't be immature yo.

He had a serious kidney disease and he came back (that should be enough inspiration). He's at the end of his career, do you think he wants to play for a crappy Toronto Raptors team who's best chances are for the lottery? What he did was wrong to not show up to Toronto, but he wanted to go to a contender.

Do I like him as a player? I hate the bastard! Love those videos of Vince Carter dunking on him.

However, he is a warrior and one of the greatest centers of all time.
I don't care that he didn't want to play for Toronto. I respect that he wanted to play for a contending team. There is nothing wrong with that.

The thing that pisses me off is that he says that he isn't healthy enough to play. Yet the next day he is signing a contract with another team. If you don't want to report to a team just say it. Don't make up some bull**** excuse.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: