Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better legacy

Default Better legacy

Which legacy you would rather have.

Kobe's or Shaq's?

Kobe: 5 rings, 2 FMVP, 1 Regular season MVP, 15x All-star (maybe 16 this year), 2x scoring champ, 11x All-NBA first, 9x All-defensive first, LAL all-time leading scorer.

Carrer average: 25p / 5.3r / 4.8a

Shaq: 4 rings, 3 FMVP, 1 regular season MVP, 15x All-star, 2x scoring champ, 8x All-NBA first, 3x all-defensive second, 1x ROY.

Carrer average: 23.7p / 10.9r / 2.3b

Shaq and Kobe's Lakers were one of 4 teams to 3-peat.
    Shaq was and is one of 2 players to win 3 FMVP in 3 years. (though Jordan did it twice.)

No, I don't have an agenda.

Default Re: Better legacy

Its very close. I would say Shaq because of his 3 FMVP and the fact that he has been scoring champ as a Center.

High School Varsity 6th Man NLZ's Avatar

Similar accomplishments.. except Kobe's defensive achievements.

I am your soldier!

Non-rapist please.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Non-rapist please.
    So neither?

Good college starter

Kobe's.

Shaq's peak dominance is superior to Kobe's peak dominance (hell, you could argue it's superior to ANY player in the history of the game). But in my mind, and in the minds of many Shaq will always be seen as a bit of an underachiever.

I know it sounds wrong/weird to say that about a guy who's career and accolades stack up with the All-Time GOATs. But the truth is that Shaq could've been the hands down, no questions asked, ALL-TIME GOAT (yes, even above Jordan), had he had the work ethic and discipline of a Kobe Bryant or Karl Malone.

Shaq's best season is the 1999-2000 season, when he was at the peak of his powers, in the best condition/shape of his life. But after winning his first chip his offseason laziness and complacency is well documented, which no doubt contributed to him having a faster decline than he should've had.

Meanwhile, Kobe is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum. Many people will view him as an "overachiever" in some regards. Because there were many wing players that were naturally more athletic/explosive than he was (Jordan, McGrady, Carter, LeBron, Wade), but Kobe was able to achieve an NBA resume and legendary career that compares to other GOATs because he outworked everyone and maximized the most of his abilities.

Not to mention that Kobe is just more popular globally than Shaq ever was and in the minds of many "casual" global fans Kobe will be seen as the more famous/better/more legendary player (whether it's true or it's media-created is another argument entirely), while Shaq continues to tarnish the perception of his GOAT legacy to younger generations by making a cringe-inducing fool of himself on a weekly basis on Inside the NBA.

Banned

Shaq's dominance was by chance. That chance was due to his laziness because he was a lazy player, it caused him to gain weight since the Orlando days. By gaining these extra 15-20lbs he became a dominant force. Not saying he wasn't dominant at Orlando but he didn't over power his opponent for position like he did with the Lakers.

This is Shaq during his Orlando days, as you can see he had a strong basketball body:

When he came to L.A., he packed on a few pounds and it's not muscle. His lack of a strong work ethic caused the weight gain and eventually gave him a big body that nobody can defend. Factor that and his skill set, he became a dominant force.

Eventually winning his 1st championship at this size.

If he had any work ethic and kept that slimmer size, I don't think he would win anything but he always had Kobe, so we may never know. His laziness actually helped him.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 12-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Kobe's because he's still active and can become the alltime leading playoff scorer.

expect only known kobe haters and heat fans to vote for shaq

kobes legacy by a pretty decent margin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Kobe's because he's still active and can become the alltime leading playoff scorer.
    Not only that. Kobe looks like he's still in his prime. He is nowhere near his peak but his level of play seem the same in terms of production.

The guy may retire on top where Shaq went on to play for many many teams. 6 to be exact. That is just unacceptable for an all time great in my opinion.

Shaq. Many players play great for long periods of time. Only one player can say that he had the GOAT peak

Banned

Kobe Bryant, when your name comes up in the same sentence as Jordan, i think you have had a good career.

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    Kobe Bryant, when your name comes up in the same sentence as Jordan, i think you have had a good career.

and when your name comes up in the same sentence as ray allen, wade, bosh, you know you've been ridin' some coattails

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Shaq. Many players play great for long periods of time. Only one player can say that he had the GOAT peak
    Peak is overrated.

I like to look at it as playing balls out just to fizzle out early.

Look at Wade, people like to brag about his peak, but he just wasn't that good so he gave it his all for a couple of years just to be nothing now.

A legendary player will effortlessly dominate through out his career.

If MJ and Kobe would give maximum effort and sacrificed years off their career, their peaks would be off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Peak is overrated.

I like to look at it as playing balls out just to fizzle out early.

Look at Wade, people like to brag about his peak, but he just wasn't that good so he gave it his all for a couple of years just to be nothing now.

A legendary player will effortlessly dominate through out his career.

If MJ and Kobe would give maximum effort and sacrificed years off their career, their peaks would be off the charts.
    Not just peak but GOAT peak. Better than MJ even. And it's not like Shaq didn't have longevity. He was dominant from his rookie year all the way to 2005. That's 13 years which is damn good