Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    The difference between all of the jobs you listed and a waiter is the fact that they all get paid a large salary for what they are doing. The fact of the matter is that waiters don't get paid fully in salary, part of their income DEPENDS on the tip. If they are not recieving tip then they are not getting paid for their work.

The reason the industry works like that is because there is not a ton of profit to be made cooking up meals so the restaurant depends on its customers to step up and pay the waiters for their service in addition to what they are paying for the food itself. Like I said, if you don't like the way it works then you take it up with all restaurant owners who are trying keep their business afloat. When you don't tip you are scrooging the wrong people.
    Go tip your office janitor.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Go tip your office janitor.
    How stupid are you? Honestly? You are arguing some retarded shit on the nba boad and over here you cant seem to grasp even the most basic explanation.

How stupid are you? Honestly? You are arguing some retarded shit on the nba boad and over here you cant seem to grasp even the most basic explanation.
    I think the stupid one is you. You are the one thats so scared of people calling you an asshole so you conform to society and follow its ways.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Just a ridiculous retarded American mentality and culture. People working hard just because they get tips. I am staying in South Korea and it's every bit (if not much more) modern in living conditions etc. However, with these service industries (cabs, restaurants, etc) you don't tip. What's even crazier..is that the service is still 100x better than back at home. They treat you so well, just because it is their job and they know other people can easily do what they do. They appreciate just having a job and making sure they do a good job at it.

I like the In n Out mentality. Pay a reasonable wage ($9 an hour to start if im not mistaken). Get rid of this tipping wildness. Gotta tip everywhere, bartenders (and I was one), etc. It's ridiculous.

Personally, I like a system better where everyone is rewarded if the company/restaurant is successful. Also, rewards people for staying with a company longer. Turnover is a huge cost and waste of scrills in restaurants. Simply, have a year-end bonus (even for part-time workers). If the company does good, everyone gets rewarded.

end rant/
    I agree with you, but unfortunately because of our culture, it those service jobs would be worse than they are now if they weren't getting tipped.

I think the stupid one is you. You are the one thats so scared of people calling you an asshole so you conform to society and follow its ways.
    Can you not read? Are you incapable of that basic skill?

Samurai Swoosh

Always get a good laugh hearing miserable penny pinchers rationalize their ways. If you don't approve of the restaurant industry then go home and make yourself a tuna sandwich.
    Exactly.

Blacks don't tip. It's not in their nature, they don't understand it.

Also, the standard is 20% now.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Exactly.

Blacks don't tip. It's not in their nature, they don't understand it.

Also, the standard is 20% now.
    I am black and I tip. You are talking about culture and that is another discussion for another day

Banned

tipping in Cali is just dumb since minimum wage is required, whats worse is when you end up eating with people who bust out calculators to tip .

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    tipping in Cali is just dumb since minimum wage is required, whats worse is when you end up eating with people who bust out calculators to tip .
    but but but...you can't survive off of minimum wage

College star

Store clerks who don't receive commission for selling products, and end up being personal shopping guides on top of their required jobs are the people who get screwed the most for not getting just compensation for there service.

Quote Originally Posted by flipogb
    LOL @ busting out calculators for rather simple math

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    LOL @ busting out calculators for rather simple math
    Maybe they are OCD and have to tip at exponentially larger percentages based on the amount of the bill.

College star

but but but...you can't survive off of minimum wage

You really can't. Might be even a little bit funny or just sad, but life sucks and it's reality.

Samurai Swoosh

I am black and I tip. You are talking about culture and that is another discussion for another day
    It's a generality, but usually true. Didn't mean to offend, you know I hold you in high esteem, my dude.

Props for being an african american who tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    It's a generality, but usually true. Didn't mean to offend, you know I hold you in high esteem, my dude.

Props for being an african american who tips.
    no murrica. african-canadian