Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me get into Football

I really like this Sport.. Looks like another Sport I could watch if I'm into it. Watched a few documentaries. Is there anything else I can watch or read to help me understand it more?

And also, few more questions..

How does this MVP thing work in the NFL?

It's awarded differently, right?

I've seen Jerry Rice called GOAT, yet he has no MVP's? 3 Super Bowl "Rings" (Can you say that? lol) and only MVP in one of them? Wouldn't that be like MJ winning 3 titles and only winning FMVP in one?

I guess it's because it's only one game, right?

Sorry, newbie here.

Default Re: Help me get into Football

Jerry Rice is considered "GOAT" because of his accomplishments, when in reality WRs like him have less impact on the game compared to a QB.

A QB is the the guy who runs the offense, the head of the team, which is why a lot of MVPs are QBs, Star HB's can also be the head of an offense but those are rare
    Last edited by CelticBaller; 09-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

The GOAT in football IMO is hard to define. One could say it's Jim Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    Jerry Rice is considered "GOAT" because of his accomplishments, when in reality WRs like him have less impact on the game compared to a QB.

A QB is the the guy who runs the offense, the head of the team, which is why a lot of MVPs are QBs, Star HB's can also be the head of an offense but those are rare
    Thanks.. This is kind of similar to a response I got elsewhere.
    The only players who won MVP that weren't Quarterbacks/Running Backs in NFL history were in 1986(LB), 1982(PlaceKicker) and 1971(Defensive tackle)

So I would say it's really not that important unless you want to compare the dominance of QBs and RBs...
    But then it's hard for me to follow how Rice can be GOAT. (Also where he was placed on the NFL top 100)

And

Quarterback is by far the most influential position in the sport. Although they need a lot of help in order to win a championship, no other single position carries their responsibility so they usually end up winning the award due to being the most valuable.

Rice is one of the most dominant players to have ever played the game, and he's also extremely accomplished. So he does have a case for GOAT NFL player although unlike the NBA there are several, several players in discussion for that honor and there isn't a general consensus from what I've seen

If you're serious, buy a sports almanac, specifically for football. Not many videos you can watch online because of copyright, but netflix and torrents have some very neat documentaries.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOASMdb4V7Lc1pstl-5fO4Q
    ^great NFL film episodes that introduce you to the sport, history, psychology and rules; these were my favorite as a kid

Sunshine State

What does it matter about MVP and rankings? It's not always about that. I watch football because it's awesome, no matter how good a team is an upset is always possible, big plays can happen anyway from runs, passes, turnovers, there's a much bigger emphasis on team play than basketball which reduces the individuality of the game (But there are still big name plays obviously).

If you can't enjoy a sport without focusing on player rankings and stuff like that then you really shouldn't be watching it.

playing madden has helped me to understand the game a lot

what's cool for us euros are the Sunday 1pm games. So every Sunday evening you can choose out of like 10 games to watch live

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I really like this Sport.. Looks like another Sport I could watch if I'm into it. Watched a few documentaries. Is there anything else I can watch or read to help me understand it more?

And also, few more questions..

How does this MVP thing work in the NFL?

It's awarded differently, right?

I've seen Jerry Rice called GOAT, yet he has no MVP's? 3 Super Bowl "Rings" (Can you say that? lol) and only MVP in one of them? Wouldn't that be like MJ winning 3 titles and only winning FMVP in one?

I guess it's because it's only one game, right?

Sorry, newbie here.
    Montana is probably the closest thing to the NFL equivalent of Jordan because of his perfect super bowl record (4/4) and amazing playoff resume. Definitely the GOAT QB. Don't let these kids tell you it's Brady or Manning.

MVP isn't as big of a deal in the NFL as it is in the NBA. It's actually just kind of a footnote. There's not really an "MVP watch" throughout the regular season. Probably because football is the ultimate team game, even more so than basketball. Super bowl MVP isn't that big of a deal either, because it's just one game. Quite a few random guys have won the super bowl MVP. Malcolm Smith won it last year, over stars like Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Cam Chancellor, etc. Malcolm Smith didn't even make the pro bowl (NFL equivalent of the all star game). I don't think he made an all pro team either. Hell, Eli Manning has two of them, and he's just an average QB. Desmond Howard won it over Brett Favre in the 96 super bowl. The list goes on...

People are obsessed with ranking QB's, but outside of that, fans focus more on the teams than the individual, unlike NBA fans.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 09-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    What does it matter about MVP and rankings? It's not always about that. I watch football because it's awesome, no matter how good a team is an upset is always possible, big plays can happen anyway from runs, passes, turnovers, there's a much bigger emphasis on team play than basketball which reduces the individuality of the game (But there are still big name plays obviously).

If you can't enjoy a sport without focusing on player rankings and stuff like that then you really shouldn't be watching it.
    It just confused me because I thought it must have been awarded on a different basis to the NBA.. Some posts have helped me understand it though. NFL has a larger contrast between positions, to a point where it would probably make more sense to compare within positions, as QB's are simply the most instrumental one.

gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy

[COLOR="White"]+1[/COLOR]

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy

[COLOR="White"]+1[/COLOR]
    Kinda like when the Fins f*cked Brady in the ass week 1 boi
    Last edited by Le Shaqtus; 09-21-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Also OP, you should know that comparing passing statistics across different eras is ridiculously flawed because of the rule changes that favor the offense. Don't be one of those guys.

Thanks y'all

Some helpful advice so far

Kinda like when the Fins f*cked Brady in the ass week 1 boi
    You're a fins fan?

im sorry for your loss

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Also OP, you should know that comparing passing statistics across different eras is ridiculously flawed because of the rule changes that favor the offense. Don't be one of those guys.
    Are you talking about Football?

I literally have no clue about that... I don't know what you mean. What point are you adressing?