Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Core strength & stretching

I really need to improve my core strength to get a higher vertical.
Does anyone know good core exercises which will help me get the vertical leap that I want?

What are good stretching exercises for basketball players?

thanks guys.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Core strength & stretching

The key for getting good core strength is to do things weighted so you can't do as many reps. Roman Chair Knee Ups with a DB on your feet is a fantastic exercise. Declined situps with plate on your chest or over you face... Leg lifts with ankle weights, situp machines with heavy weight, Side bends with DB's, etc.

You want to be somewhere between 10 and 15 reps. Doing a bunch of reps will get you the same results as they will any other muscle... long muscles meant for stamina. If you want strong abs, you need to bump up the weight and lower the reps. Make sure you work out lower back as well. Having a good balance of strength between all the muscles in your core (abs, lower back, obliques) is what you want to have.

As for stretching... pretty much anything that stretches your legs and lower back is good for basketball (and in general). The key is being consistent with your stretching so your muscles won't shrivel back up again. I think being able to at least touch the ground with your knees straight it key. If you can get your hands down that's great... That pretty much means that no matter what you aren't going to pull a hamstring by being over stretched in that way.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
The key for getting good core strength is to do things weighted so you can't do as many reps. Roman Chair Knee Ups with a DB on your feet is a fantastic exercise. Declined situps with plate on your chest or over you face... Leg lifts with ankle weights, situp machines with heavy weight, Side bends with DB's, etc.

You want to be somewhere between 10 and 15 reps. Doing a bunch of reps will get you the same results as they will any other muscle... long muscles meant for stamina. If you want strong abs, you need to bump up the weight and lower the reps. Make sure you work out lower back as well. Having a good balance of strength between all the muscles in your core (abs, lower back, obliques) is what you want to have.

As for stretching... pretty much anything that stretches your legs and lower back is good for basketball (and in general). The key is being consistent with your stretching so your muscles won't shrivel back up again. I think being able to at least touch the ground with your knees straight it key. If you can get your hands down that's great... That pretty much means that no matter what you aren't going to pull a hamstring by being over stretched in that way.

Im sorry, but whats a DB?
dumbell?
I need to train my lower back, have to find some ways to do it. It has actually hurt after doing squats and deadlifts lately. I should ask someone at the gym what I am doing wrong.

I can just touch my toes, not the floor. That will be a short term goal.

you the man tho.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Well that is a clear indication that you using it too much when doing squats and deadlifts. It's all about form... and the more flexible you are the better form you will have. touching your toes is good... I can't even do that (ughh lol) but yea make that goal to be to get your hands on the ground. It will take a long time though you can count on that.

The best way to work out lower back is to do hyper extensions with weight. Good mornings are another good exercise but form is important on those and it's really a personal thing... I have never been able to get them to work that well for me but some people rave about em.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Well that is a clear indication that you using it too much when doing squats and deadlifts. It's all about form... and the more flexible you are the better form you will have. touching your toes is good... I can't even do that (ughh lol) but yea make that goal to be to get your hands on the ground. It will take a long time though you can count on that.

The best way to work out lower back is to do hyper extensions with weight. Good mornings are another good exercise but form is important on those and it's really a personal thing... I have never been able to get them to work that well for me but some people rave about em.

so I should use less weight when doing squats and deadlifts and just increase it every week? I will probably start doing the power cleans and hang cleans soon.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea DB's are dumbells btw.

I would say that might be a good idea. Just make sure your form is as good as it can be. If your back starts to hurt, take it a lighter but still explode up. The thing you don't want to do is injure yourself cus then you can't do anything. It's better to take it a little lighter than the alternative. You have to keep your ego in check and realize that you are in it for the long haul.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:

I can easily touch the ground like that after working out. Never knew I could do it.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

WAIT A MINUTE! How can you preach all these things but not even be capable of doing THAT? I guess it doesn't matter your advice is still solid
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Well I could almost get my fingertips on the ground when before my hamstrings went to ****. Now they are unbelievably tight probably because of all the scar tissue that's accumulated.

I have always been inflexible though... Those flexibility tests they had back in middle school... yea I was one of if not the worst. I don't know why the hell I had to be built like that lol.

Well when it comes to physical ability, you don't have to be able to do things... It does add to credibility, but not everybody is genetically gifted enough to be flexible or have naturally good reactive strength. I am one of those people. I do know how to improve those things though.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Well when it comes to physical ability, you don't have to be able to do things... It does add to credibility, but not everybody is genetically gifted enough to be flexible or have naturally good reactive strength. I am one of those people. I do know how to improve those things though.

This is correct or those that think that the trainer has to be as much in tiptop shape as the client:

here are two guys big in the performance world who couldn't hold their own more than likely:
Mike Boyle- guy is a mind full of genius however small stature and skinny.
Vern Gambetta- Tours the world speaking and training world class athletes, but big big tummy and getting up there in age.

I was a decent athlete, but only cause I hustled and at 6'2" was tall for my area. Played a little D3 ball. But I train kids cause I am passionate about it. If I had access to my knowledge when I was younger, maybe I could have exploited some of my abilities. I just want the kids now-a-days that have the ability to be able to do what I couldn't.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I feel similar... but I'm still really young so I have a lot of time to reach personal goals. Others might be in a better position though and sharing my knowledge with them could lead them to some great things. I am always keeping an open ear for new info as well... I can't learn enough about this kind of stuff.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
I feel similar... but I'm still really young so I have a lot of time to reach personal goals. Others might be in a better position though and sharing my knowledge with them could lead them to some great things. I am always keeping an open ear for new info as well... I can't learn enough about this kind of stuff.

You are helping me out a lot and I appreciate it a lot bro.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

You got it man.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: