Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #76
Shep
Decent college freshman

Default Re: '90-'99. official top 25 players each year.

Quote:
Barkley wsa stolen from the 1989-90 MVP period
barkley wasn't even top 7 most valuable that particular season
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #77
BlackJoker23
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
1998:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Karl Malone
3. Shaquille O'Neal
4. Scottie Pippen
5. David Robinson
6. Tim Duncan
7. Gary Payton
8. Chris Webber
9. Rod Strickland
10. Grant Hill
11. Tim Hardaway
12. Hakeem Olajuwon
13. Kevin Garnett
14. Jason Kidd
15. John Stockton
16. Alonzo Mourning
17. Vin Baker
18. Mookie Blaylock
19. Eddie Jones
20. Tom Gugliotta
21. Antoine Walker
22. Shawn Kemp
23. Dikembe Mutombo
24. Toni Kukoc
25. Allen Iverson
Pippen is too high, I think. He missed too many games that year. I'd put Robinson and Duncan ahead of him. Olajuwon is also too high for the same reason and you can't tell Kukoc was better than Iverson despite having greater team success.
BlackJoker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #78
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
stockton was a very nice complimentary scorer for that jazz team, if they needed scoring, they usually went to karl malone and his 31.0ppg. stockton scored 17 points on 12 shots and also shot 42% from the 3 point line, which was top 6 in the entire league. meanwhile kj was a ball dominant point guard who had no range outside of 15 feet, and had deadly scorers like tom chambers, jeff hornacek, and eddie johnson to feed for his measly 11 assists per game. stockton probably would've averaged closer to 17 assists given the same pace and ball hogging.

Measly 11 assists? He was 3rd in the league. KJ had range outside of 15 feet, his mid-range shot was good, he just didn't shoot 3s back then.

Stockton wasn't going to average 17 assists in any situation. Utah's offense was ideal for racking up assists and Stockton had the ball a ton, plus he had one of the best finishers of all time.

I guess we just value different things in players.

Quote:
he had more variety with the 20ft jumper. if teams were boxing in the lane he could pop out for that shot..he had more options to his game.

Ewing had good range back then already, but his shot selection was much better and so was his scoring ability. But I guess that's a matter of preference.

Quote:
strickland was coming off a promising rookie season in which he averaged 8.9ppg, and 3.9apg in only 16.8mpg..the talent was there, the production was there, and he definately showed enough that he could have taken the starting position away from jackson if he was playing poor

Once again, can't see where you're coming from. That falls on the coaching staff.

Quote:
but robinson played better in the regular season, and playoffs

Definitely disagree, but we've been over this enough. Robinson did have a great year, though, arguably the greatest rookie season in the past 30 or so years.

Quote:
ahh the old i have rebounders on my team so that means i don't have to rebound excuse. blocks are one category, but ewings production in that category halved from the season to the playoffs. halved.

It's not uncommon. Look at David Robinson's rebounding numbers from '90-'93 then in 1994 when Rodman joined the Spurs, then in 1995 with and without Rodman in the lineup and then 1996. Always around 12-13 rpg without Rodman and 10-11 with him. With Oakley already averaging 12, I'd say Ewing's 11 per game are impressive considering he carried the scoring load at 29 ppg and was very active defensively as evidenced by his 4 blocks per game which were good for 2nd in the league.

Quote:
because winning a 4v5 isn't that impressive. especially doing it in 5 games. the rockets as a 8th seed taking a game off the 1st seed and the team with the best record in the nba, and doing it while olajuwon was blocking 6 shots per game (which is more than 13 of the remaining 15 playoffs TEAMS averaged) is more impressive.

Again, can't see where you're coming from on this, but we're basically just repeating the same stuff. We're not going to agree on these players in 1990
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #79
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
barkley wasn't even top 7 most valuable that particular season

He had 53 wins and recieved most of the 1st place votes, having weaker teams (Mark Jackson was an All Star Duo with Ewing)

2-3 Voters votaed him in the Top 5-10 and he lost the MVP to Magic`s smile and Agenda

U are just a hater on Barkley the most hated and envied NBA Player of the 80s and 90s
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #80
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
He had 53 wins and recieved most of the 1st place votes, having weaker teams (Mark Jackson was an All Star Duo with Ewing)

Mark Jackson was not an all-star in 1990. He averaged 10 ppg and 7 apg on 44% shooting with a TS% of just 49% while getting booed at home and he was benched for the final 13 games of the regular season and he played only 9 mpg in the playoffs.

That was not an all-star duo in 1990.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #81
twintowers
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
You severely underrated Barkley & overrated Pippen & David Robinson (particularly '99)

Chuck will always be underrated (not deserved) same as Iverson......
Dave was a fury in the first half of the 90's...so no overrating not even in 99' he won a ring after ten years say deserved.....man you hate the spurs so much do ya

Last edited by twintowers : 03-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
twintowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #82
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Mark Jackson was not an all-star in 1990. He averaged 10 ppg and 7 apg on 44% shooting with a TS% of just 49% while getting booed at home and he was benched for the final 13 games of the regular season and he played only 9 mpg in the playoffs.

That was not an all-star duo in 1990.

Ment the year before 1989, already established. He played less minutes in 1990

Ewing had a Creator not a ball hogg like what Charles Had as PGs. Also he had better defenders around him than Barkley had. Infact, Ewing was loaded with Great Defenders all of his Career. Yet, he never outplayed D-Rob or Hakeem.

Barkley had more wins 53

In 1993 KJ played 49 games only and the Suns had a Higher Winning %Without KJ

Barkley had more 1st place votes for MVP race, yet the Media Hate On Barkley maded so Stern and the Popularity Contest Would Win: Ofcourse the Smiliy Magic, who had: Worthy, Divac, Scott, Green etc
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #83
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Ment the year before 1989, already established. He played less minutes in 1990

I'm not talking about 1989, all that matters when discussing the 1990 season is Mark Jackson's play in 1990 which was nowhere near all-star level. What he did in 1989 is irrelevant, had he been playing well, he wouldn't have been booed at home and benched. He played less minutes in 1990 because he played poorly, the same exact reason he was benched.

Both Hersey Hawkins and Johnny Dawkins were easily better than Jackson in 1990.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #84
Scientist
Banned

So we can arguably say that shaq had the best prime in the NBA EVER but he was never first? wtf
Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #85
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist
So we can arguably say that shaq had the best prime in the NBA EVER but he was never first? wtf

Shaq's best years were easily 2000 and 2001, after that, 2002 is up there with several other years. The only year during the 90's that I thought Shaq was the best player in was '98. I'd rank him second in '95 and '99, but other than that, he wasn't top 2 in any other years during the 90's, IMO.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #86
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Ranking players from each season? That's cool

But I would like to see one ranking the modern players in the 2000s.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 AM   #87
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Pippen is too high, I think. He missed too many games that year. I'd put Robinson and Duncan ahead of him. Olajuwon is also too high for the same reason and you can't tell Kukoc was better than Iverson despite having greater team success.
games played doesn't come into consideration for ranking players in individual seasons.
Quote:
Measly 11 assists? He was 3rd in the league. KJ had range outside of 15 feet, his mid-range shot was good, he just didn't shoot 3s back then.
yeh, measly compared with stockton's, and especially measly considering the teams different paces, and how much johnson had the ball.
Quote:
Stockton wasn't going to average 17 assists in any situation. Utah's offense was ideal for racking up assists and Stockton had the ball a ton, plus he had one of the best finishers of all time.
johnson had better shooters and a better range of scorers, and had the ball more.
Quote:
I guess we just value different things in players.

Quote:
Ewing had good range back then already, but his shot selection was much better and so was his scoring ability. But I guess that's a matter of preference.

Quote:
Once again, can't see where you're coming from. That falls on the coaching staff.
kewl
Quote:
It's not uncommon. Look at David Robinson's rebounding numbers from '90-'93 then in 1994 when Rodman joined the Spurs, then in 1995 with and without Rodman in the lineup and then 1996. Always around 12-13 rpg without Rodman and 10-11 with him. With Oakley already averaging 12, I'd say Ewing's 11 per game are impressive considering he carried the scoring load at 29 ppg and was very active defensively as evidenced by his 4 blocks per game which were good for 2nd in the league.
yeh, but you aren't rewarded by what you "could" get if you had zero rebounders on your team. you are rewarded by what you actually get.
Quote:
Again, can't see where you're coming from on this, but we're basically just repeating the same stuff. We're not going to agree on these players in 1990

Quote:

2-3 Voters votaed him in the Top 5-10 and he lost the MVP to Magic`s smile and Agenda

U are just a hater on Barkley the most hated and envied NBA Player of the 80s and 90s
i'm not a hater, i am just a unbiased realist. i can't see a case for barkley being anywhere near mvp in 1990. these players all deserved mvp over barkley that season: michael jordan, david robinson, magic johnson, john stockton, karl malone, hakeem olajuwon, and patrick ewing
Quote:
the only years he was first was '00, '01, and '02
Quote:
Ranking players from each season? That's cool

But I would like to see one ranking the modern players in the 2000s.
already destroyed
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #88
whoartthou
National High School Star

This shep character has to be one of the two:

1) a kobe nut hugger

2) a jordan hater:

or both.

at pippen being top 2 in any YEAR LOLLL
whoartthou is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: