Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Go to move. picking your spots

Whats your go to move when trying to score the basketball? is it something you practise or just whats developed through playing?

My go to move would have to be a step through, i rarely practise the move but i do practise finishing under the basket either hand from similar spots. Its predicated on the defense and its just what i naturally started doing, it pretty effective especially if you do it to score and not just get the foul (always leads to frustration).

A friend aways goes to the fadeway from the post/high post. He can seemingly get it to fall no matter whos guarding. I dont have anything like this, i only seem to score effortlessly if the defence bites on a fake. I used to pull up from the elbow area but i never felt automatic so ive tended to move the ball around instead or spot up for threes.

What moves (or spaces on the floor) do you guys feel confident that its money?

BEAST

Default Re: Go to move. picking your spots

whatever the defense throw at me, i give it to them however they want it

suckkk ittttttt

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    whatever the defense throw at me, i give it to them however they want it

suckkk ittttttt
    lol, ok. Where is your favourite spot to score from? Or where are you most efficient from?

Dribble to the left pull up jumper similar to Sam Cassell.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Dribble to the left pull up jumper similar to Sam Cassell.
    Personally I feel the shot comes smoother off the bounce from my left hand. Right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    Personally I feel the shot comes smoother off the bounce from my left hand. Right handed.
    I'm right handed. That shot is so easy. I have a quick release

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

I'd say I score the most points of mid-range baseline jumpers. The defense will often give you that shot and for some reason I shoot better from the baseline than from anywhere else.

one of my other go to moves is a simple shot fake then drive to the basket. If your opponent knows you can make the shot and your fake looks like a real shot attempt, then you usually get by your defender pretty easily.

NBA Superstar

With an approaching live dribble, my go-to move is an in-and-out dribble with a strong stutter. Very often, that sets up my second go-to move, the in-and-out to cross - which is a less smooth, more frantic version of this (without the spin and sick floater): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQmIy1rZB0. The chances of me breaking someone's ankles off of a standard crossover size up are microscopic. But the chances of me doing so off of my in-and-out stutter to cross are somewhat solid.

This will sound really simple, but my right footed jab step is one of my go-to moves as well. I'm not an ambi-jabber (I never jab using my left foot) so I think all my power, speed, and repetition has been concentrated to my right, which may make it a little more effective than normal. If it works correctly, it usually sets up a strong left-handed drive or clean spot up look.

Lastly, I'm not sure if this is a go-to per se, but the move that most has my name on it in my area is the one Francis pulls off in this video at the 9 and 24 second mark - the little one-two step, right-to-left fallaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJSFki2qsA. I picked it up from Francis when I first saw that video in '01 and it's something that's just clicked with me. I don't quite understand why it's so accurate, but I'm not complaining.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-20-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Usually a quick jab, one dribble, then spin is enough for me to create separation and work from there. That would probably be my go-to. Either that or an in-and-out cross with my strong hand.

Dribble on top of the key, and tear drop shot.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 08-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    lol, ok. Where is your favourite spot to score from? Or where are you most efficient from?
    anywhere from Nba 3 to the paint, you ask i deliver

suckkkkkk ittttt

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    With an approaching live dribble, my go-to move is an in-and-out dribble with a strong stutter. Very often, that sets up my second go-to move, the in-and-out to cross - which is a less smooth, more frantic version of this (without the spin and sick floater): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQmIy1rZB0. The chances of me breaking someone's ankles off of a standard crossover size up are microscopic. But the chances of me doing so off of my in-and-out stutter to cross are somewhat solid.

This will sound really simple, but my right footed jab step is one of my go-to moves as well. I'm not an ambi-jabber (I never jab using my left foot) so I think all my power, speed, and repetition has been concentrated to my right, which may make it a little more effective than normal. If it works correctly, it usually sets up a strong left-handed drive or clean spot up look.

Lastly, I'm not sure if this is a go-to per se, but the move that most has my name on it in my area is the one Francis pulls off in this video at the 9 and 24 second mark - the little one-two step, right-to-left fallaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJSFki2qsA. I picked it up from Francis when I first saw that video in '01 and it's something that's just clicked with me. I don't quite understand why it's so accurate, but I'm not complaining.
    Rake I find the in and out to cross is a great way to see what kind of a defender you are up against too... one that bites? One that gambles? Or one that just stands there because their footspeed is too slow but they don't want to gamble. Avery in that video just sort of stood there more or less so Tim had to spin off him because he didn't bite on any of the dribble moves. I remember this one kid getting me on that in and out cross so many times though so I really wanted to get it mastered... I haven't yet really but I continue to practice.

I'd say my most comfortable spot is anywhere in triple threat to be honest... especially on the wing. I am patient and use footwork and pumpfakes to try and get the defender to bite... if I doesn't then unless he's really quick I have confidence that I can blow by him because I am comfortable going right or left, spinning if he's able to stay with with me, and then just an array of head/pump fakes to keep them off balance.

As far as dribble moves go... My crossover is pretty effective, but I feel the lowest risk/highest reward dribble is this type of move here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEVn1VUBlE and of course I finish over my opponents in a similar manner. No but honestly I can't tell you how much separation dribbles like that get me at times... I almost can't believe it because it's so basic.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Rake I find the in and out to cross is a great way to see what kind of a defender you are up against too... one that bites? One that gambles? Or one that just stands there because their footspeed is too slow but they don't want to gamble. Avery in that video just sort of stood there more or less so Tim had to spin off him because he didn't bite on any of the dribble moves. I remember this one kid getting me on that in and out cross so many times though so I really wanted to get it mastered... I haven't yet really but I continue to practice.

I'd say my most comfortable spot is anywhere in triple threat to be honest... especially on the wing. I am patient and use footwork and pumpfakes to try and get the defender to bite... if I doesn't then unless he's really quick I have confidence that I can blow by him because I am comfortable going right or left, spinning if he's able to stay with with me, and then just an array of head/pump fakes to keep them off balance.

As far as dribble moves go... My crossover is pretty effective, but I feel the lowest risk/highest reward dribble is this type of move here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEVn1VUBlE and of course I finish over my opponents in a similar manner. No but honestly I can't tell you how much separation dribbles like that get me at times... I almost can't believe it because it's so basic.
    Yeah, the Timmy Hardaway clip is a bad representation of what I do, in retrospect. That play was the influence for what I developed, but I developed it a lot differently. Like I said, I don't do it nearly as smoothly and softly. It's definitely more of a stutter and explode (as opposed to Timmy's one fluid motion in that play). I guess it'd be a little closer to the very first clip here, though again, I think I chop my feet a little more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0TYef-O1E

Also, props for the MJ live dribble baseline spin. It's never been something I've really been able to utilize with any sort of regularity and effectiveness. In fact, there's really only one time I remember pulling it off - and it was so ugly. Er, maybe the move itself was alright, but I nearly traveled with a high dribble before I even initiated it. 7:21 mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=7m21s
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-21-2013 at 09:06 AM.

3 pointer, I can't handle the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, the Timmy Hardaway clip is a bad representation of what I do, in retrospect. That play was the influence for what I developed, but I developed it a lot differently. Like I said, I don't do it nearly as smoothly and softly. It's definitely more of a stutter and explode (as opposed to Timmy's one fluid motion in that play). I guess it'd be a little closer to the very first clip here, though again, I think I chop my feet a little more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0TYef-O1E

Also, props for the MJ live dribble baseline spin. It's never been something I've really been able to utilize with any sort of regularity and effectiveness. In fact, there's really only one time I remember pulling it off - and it was so ugly. Er, maybe the move itself was alright, but I nearly traveled with a high dribble before I even initiated it. 7:21 mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=7m21s
    Yea see that move you did at 7:21 I do stuff like that all over the floor. I practice dribbles like that all the time too... between that and floaters those are like my bread and butter these days ha. You are aggressive going to the rim Rake that's legit.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 08-22-2013 at 03:46 AM.